Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much frame work to run a 315/50-15 or the 325 on a malibu. I have a 10.5 x29.5 slick (no w) on the car now.
Thanks for any input !

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
To make it sit low with 315's, the outside portion of the frame rail needs to go all the way over and touch the inside portion of the frame rail or it needs to be removed all together. Then the factory inner wheel wells need to be removed and the quarter panel pushed out with a jack. You may have to play with wheel offsets or shorten your axle housing to get the best fit.

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
Easiest way is just to minitub unless you want the whole rear end up in the air stink-bug style. The frame will need to be trimmed all the way to the inside rail skin and then boxed in on the back side of that. After doing it myself, I would suggest just running 275s and tweaking the suspension if your car is 9 seconds or slower. There are plenty of G-body guys going faster than 9s on 275s and making them hook up. I wasted waaaaay too much money on my minitub that could've been spent on motor. The gain isn't worth the trouble IMHO. But I do love the way my car looks now.

Greg

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
While a big part of me does agree that 315's look sooooo bitchin', a lot of power can be put to the ground with a set of 275-60's these days and they will fit so many cars with just minor trimming and an educated wheel back-spacing selection.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts

sittin on 315's 10 inch rim but i moved the inner frame rails in a few inches to get it where i wanted it and to sit low
got any more images of the work you did ?? in the slow process of doing a max notch on our Bu project , also how low to the ground is the frame ?? i have ours sitting at 7" under the frame rails , with the stands just in front of the of the body mount in front of the rear tire and inline with the body mount on the firewall

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
What is up with the front suspension? Did you use coil overs up front? Car looks great!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well gentlemen after watchin O.R.T.C the 275 cars opened my eyes for sure.
As far as my car the frame is notched. The front part is right up against the back part of the frame. And my factory wheel tubs are widened to the frame rail. I didn't push the 1/4s out though.
As I stated the car has a 10.5x 29.5 slick on the car now. Car has been in the 8's on a slick. Time to try the Radial. So...
From you guys opinion the 275 is my safe bet.
And the 325 would be second bet without any more messaging ?

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
Personally, I'd try the 275 first. See if you can get it to hook up without too much trouble. Remember, its not a slick, these tires operate best at around 15-16 psi, and with a short 5-8 second burnout. If you can't get it hooking on 275s, then go to the larger tire.

Greg

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts