Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
mines 10.5.1 runs on pump 93. my friend has a lt1 with 12.1 and runs on pump gas. he said lt1s can do that cause there reverse cooled. i have saw sbf run 11.1 on pump gas

·
Registered
342 Posts
its a loaded question. there are many factors that determine what static ratio you can handle as what the motor sees is very different. my LT1 for e.g. has 12.4:1 static and will run on 93 any day. the cam plays a huge role with the valve events along with the small chambers and reverse flow cooling.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a 393 windsor with about 12.4. It has a comp cams 280 hydraulic(flat) cam. Ive always run mixed gas and was wondering if I could run straight 93. Its a bracket car so i'm not concerned about what It runs just dont want to tear it up. .

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Its a 393 windsor with about 12.4. It has a comp cams 280 hydraulic(flat) cam. Ive always run mixed gas and was wondering if I could run straight 93. Its a bracket car so i'm not concerned about what It runs just dont want to tear it up. .

Keep a eye on the plug looking for speckles and signs of temp you should be able to tune to it just keep a eye on it to start

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Keep a eye on the plug looking for speckles and signs of temp you should be able to tune to it just keep a eye on it to start
Would you check it kinda like a nitrous tune up? Click it when you go across or would it be ok to drive it back to check it? I run Autolite 3924s and 32 degrees timing.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
The tune should be checked at the return road. just take a spare plug. I would start with a little less timing. I know guys with over 220 psi on pump gas its the tune

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have a 598 BBC with 12.5 on premium unleaded (same as your 93 i think), makes 910hp with a set of Curtis' RFD 24 deg heads

·
Registered
24,081 Posts
IMO with that cam i would keep running with a race gas and pump gas mix.That's a very small cam and probably isn't bleeding off much cylinder pressure with the small 230 at .050 duration.I agree if it's over 195 cranking compression stick with your fuel mix.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMO with that cam i would keep running with a race gas and pump gas mix.That's a very small cam and probably isn't bleeding off much cylinder pressure with the small 230 at .050 duration.I agree if it's over 195 cranking compression stick with your fuel mix.

Later Mark.
I know it isn't bleeding off very much because this is the hardest motor I have to spin over. I would put a bigger stick in it but I don't the piston to valve clearance for anything any bigger. Put a 292 comp in it with .518 lift. At the end of the year you could see evidence of where it touched ever so slightly.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
don't need more lift see if you have room for more duration

1 - 16 of 16 Posts