Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, im new here, my name is mark brewer, and im from Pittsburgh Raceway Park in Pennsylvania, and i have a few nitrous questions in which you guys seem to be really helpful in...
I drive a 78 Mustang II Cobra with a 345 inch stroked boss 302 with an eagle 3.400 stroke 4340 forged crank, eagle H beam rods, and SRP flat tops +.020 (10.8:1). i burned 3 pistons (Dish pistons which were 8.5:1 with the lowered ring lands) last year due to lack of fuel, so i bought this rotating assembly and seperate mallory 140 fuel pump for the nitrous with the hopes of being in the 10s N/A. I have a Nitrous Works Billet atomizer plate system good for 200 hp installed on the car as well. So Far its been 11.049 @ 121 with a 1.508 60'. I was planning on hittin it with a 125 shot to start with, hoping for mid tens. Now after all that, finally, here are my questions...

Can the pistons survive even tho they do not have lowered ring lands for nitrous??
Will the seperate fuel system for the nitrous be enough??
And, if i hit it with a 200 shot straight off the line, will i be in the nines (street legal and thru the mufflers with a 16.5x31 ET Street tire), or will i be pickin up the pieces and goin home with a mess???
Thanks guys, hope to hear back from ya..

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
As long as your tune up is on you should be ok at 200, but I would not go any higher. I always used 200 on a factory block, steel crank, pink rod 355 chevy and did not have any problems. I used a Mallory 140 on the engine side and a Holley "Blue" on the n20 side set at 7 psi and never burned an off the shelf TRW .100" dome piston. As far as the 9's....It all depends on the setup of the engine, gearing, traction, etc. With 200 in the plate, you will probably be very close if not in. Good luck and as with any nitrous set up, just be sure you get the tune up right (timing, plug heat range and fueil psi). If you get it on video, post it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well to further help you in your answer, the setup is basically that i launch off the foot brake at 2500 RPM, and shift at 6000. If i want to go faster, i launch at 3000 and shift at 6500. The car weighs approx. 3025 lbs. (weighed in at Norwalk, 9/23/05), I use a C-4 Transmission (The reason why there is no trans brake :smt014 ) with a 4.33:1 gear ratio. When i ran it last year on the spray, i retarded the timing to 32 degrees from 38 and switched plugs from a Champion C61CX to a C59CX, and set the fuel pressure at 7psi. Last year, the setup was ok for 75 hp with the fuel system i had (summit 140gph pump) but when we tried the 125, it just went to s h i t after the 60' mark and due to my lack of experience i didnt know when to let off the button thinking it would clear itsef up from the giant flames shooting out of the headers... but oh well thats over and done with and i learned my lesson... when i do try it, which may not be this year, i wll post the video for all you guys to see.. thanks alot!

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Good luck, hope ya put that thing in the 9's.... Rule of thumb on the timing retard is: For every 50hp of n20... pull 2 degrees out. 200hp=8 degrees of timing retard, I usually pull 2 more just to be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot for the info, and when i get it all on video and am ready to post it, ill need more advice on how to post it :oops: ... talk to you guys soon...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts