Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 427" LSX and am wondering how far I can push this thing. Crank is a 4" dragon slayer with compstar ibeam rods and 4.125" wiseco pistons.Trickflow 245 heads are fully studded including the mains. on a DTS engine dyno it made 992hp and 1006 torque at 10psi on pump gas. Car went 9.44 @147 so far with a crappy 60 foot.My concern is the piston design with the wrist pin up so far onto the oil ring that the piston may not be able to handle a ton of pressure. If I had it to do over again I think I would shorten the stroke to 3.875" or less to get a stronger piston. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Hi, I have a 427" LSX and am wondering how far I can push this thing. Crank is a 4" dragon slayer with compstar ibeam rods and 4.125" wiseco pistons.Trickflow 245 heads are fully studded including the mains. on a DTS engine dyno it made 992hp and 1006 torque at 10psi on pump gas. Car went 9.44 @147 so far with a crappy 60 foot.My concern is the piston design with the wrist pin up so far onto the oil ring that the piston may not be able to handle a ton of pressure. If I had it to do over again I think I would shorten the stroke to 3.875" or less to get a stronger piston. Thank you.
992hp/1006 tq @ 147, must have been a 2.xx 60' ?

·
Chupa Cabra
9,821 Posts
Yep, the pistons are fine, it’s the block you need to worry about. Thay have known casting shift issues.
Only if it's your machinist would you have to worry.

A competent ls engine builder already knows this and will make sure the block doesn't have this problem, and if it does they will fix it or get a new block.

Screw it, just put a modular in it right? That will fix it.

·
LSXTTFMF
928 Posts
Just looking at the torque number looks to me like it's choked up on the turbo. As far as the motor goes you have a good way's to go. I would be more worried about the I-beam rods than I would the Wiseco pistons.

·
LSXTTFMF
928 Posts
At that power level no issues, however the compstar I-beam rods aren't really rated for huge power. Now my question is it the Compstar HD rods or just a regular compstar I-beam?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, for the replies. It may be a little choked on the turbo being that all I have on her is a Bullseye comp-r-83 with a t-6 1.32 housing, fun on the street but probably holding me back at the track. The rods are just the regular I-beams. Do you think I could get this thing to go 8.50's without changing anything but boost in a 1965 chevelle that weighs 3640 with me in it? Otherwise should I just hang a 98 on it instead?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.