Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried this question in differential section with no reply.
800 hp Chevelle, transbrake launch on Richmond Pro 4.56 gears, your basic 3600# 10 second weekend warrior. Have 500 passes on them now.
How many passes would you make with this setup before changing them out? Who gears would you use?

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Geez, I don't know, I'm in your boat,
Mine have been in since 2004 ... LOL
I probably have 2000 passes on them, half at 800 HP at 2100#, other half at 1100hp at 2265#....
I just had the rear apart and the gears look mint..
They were gears from Moser. I use a good syn gear oil.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
As long as the vehicle is used for racing only, the pro gears will last indefinately. Street/highway driving and the resultant heat build-up will cause failure of these gears. Synthetic gear oil is absolutely recommended. It doesn't really matter which type of rear end is being used with these gears; 9-inch, 12-bolt, 10-bolt, Dana, Halibrand, International Truck, Model A Ford, etc., etc.

·
Registered
66,753 Posts
As long as the vehicle is used for racing only, the pro gears will last indefinately. Street/highway driving and the resultant heat build-up will cause failure of these gears. Synthetic gear oil is absolutely recommended. It doesn't really matter which type of rear end is being used with these gears; 9-inch, 12-bolt, 10-bolt, Dana, Halibrand, International Truck, Model A Ford, etc., etc.
X2

·
Registered
250 Posts
Your not comfortable, pull the rear and visually inspect the ring gear. I have broken a tooth off of ring gear and only a visual showed it, wasn't noisy etc. Esp in a heavy car that works. My .02.

·
T/S 368E
26,851 Posts

The gear in my 10" tire car has about 2000 runs at 800-1050 HP with zero issues last inspection.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My Chevelle has a 9" with 4.30 strange pro gears. 700 HP BBC , transbrake , 3420 lbs. Going on 2000 runs myself. We run full synthetic and every winter we pull the center section and inspect and check the backlash. If all's ok we let it ride another season.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I'd say as long as the gears were set up properly and had good synthetic oil used they should last. Improper install is probably the most common cause of gear failure. With your hp and usage I'd say change oil each season and run it. Just my humble opinion

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I can't say for sure how many runs were on the last gearset in my dragster, but I know they started in 2001and I finally broke a few teeth off on the launch in 2017.......

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Maybe on lower hp cars. I've seen higher hp cars annihilate pro-gears in 4-5 passes.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Maybe on lower hp cars. I've seen higher hp cars annihilate pro-gears in 4-5 passes.
Probably not installed correctly . . . . . . . . . .

·
Registered
54,557 Posts
Team Z and others will tell you NOT to run them on the street. They have had Strange pro gears wear out in a few thousand miles.
I have never tried it myself

·
T/S 368E
26,851 Posts

Same her
Same here, clutch car and 2000 plus HP but he said 800 HP with an automatic!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts