1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the following order

1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

is there any other cam/cylinder swap firing orders aout there? if so has anyone seen advantage of changing the cam/firing order?

·
Registered
104 Posts
only 2, 13726548 for 351W and 15426378 for all other small blocks. 13726548 was used on the Windsor to change bearing loads. The SBF cams can be interchanged between the engines, but the distributor wiring has to changed for the camshaft used.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know there are some swapped firing orders out there. I have a friend with an LSM cam with swapped firing order. I can get that one alter tonight, but wanted to know if there are any other than the 2 standard ones out there.

·
Procharger Power
23,972 Posts
Just like with any V8 there should be 3 possible firing orders as long as someone grinds the cams for them.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Tim did this fire order make any more power?
Never back to backed it. But it is a hell of alot easier to turn over with heavy springs. Seems to be the shit.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I doubt anyone has the time and the money to do back to back dyno pulls with an two identical cams with just the firing order changed. Ive spoken to 3 cam companies in the last week and they all recommend firing the corners first.

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
the reason to change the firing order / cylinder placememnt relationship is only to help the plenum flow bias in the manifold.

individual port fed or port injected intakes will show no gain.

unless there is a blower on top of the individual port runners where as maybe the rear cylinders do not get the full even flow as the others in forewards locations..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the reason to change the firing order / cylinder placememnt relationship is only to help the plenum flow bias in the manifold.

individual port fed or port injected intakes will show no gain.

unless there is a blower on top of the individual port runners where as maybe the rear cylinders do not get the full even flow as the others in forewards locations..
How about on a nitrous motor with a fogger?

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
as iI said

it depends on the manifold

think SHAPE....

do you actually have a problem,??

or are you attempting / thinking of trying to head off a possible problem.?

many different mannors to "fix" the issue,
some would change the flame travel in the suspect pistons or change the compression ratio a slight amount.

·
Long Live The King
106,950 Posts

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
you beat me to it.

also as per the diagrams show,
dont forget that some fire orders are different only because the cylinders are numbered different from one brand to another. number one is on the opposite bank and on one head, the numbers are in order or are even or odd numbers....

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Y-Blocks also use that Pro Stock firing order. Been around for ever.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts