Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious how many deal with knee pain and what have you done about it?

For myself I am 44, 6'3, and weigh 220. Fairly active adult but the last couple of years my left knee has started be more sore and will click or pop. I had went to a sports Dr and all he wanted to do after the X-rays showed nothing was to shoot it up with Cortisone and recommend physical therapy. I went to the therapy but all they wanted me to do was leg exercises. To me that's the equivalent of throwing more boost upon a bad rod bearing.

I am not a sit on my ass type person and I like being active. My job as a machinist keeps me on my feet most of the day and I am trying to find some type of solution. I don't feel like a knee replacement is a solution either.

Any tips?

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,662 Posts
Going thru it right now.

My story started the day before 9-11.

It was Sept. 10, 2001 and I was pulling a car dolley up a grade with gravel.
My feet slipped out, I go down and the tongue of the dolley fell across my left knee.
I jumped up and hobbled around a bit all the while telling myself that since I can walk on it, it must not be broken.

For the next 8 years I hobbled around with awful knee pain until one day I had had enough and told the wife I needed to find some place that could x-ray it cheap.

In 2009 I went to a chiropractor and he brings out the x-ray and shows me.
"See...here's your problem. You have dislocated your knee"

Until he said the word dislocated I never thought of that and the word dislocated never crossed my mind.
So, he resets the knee and 1 hour later I feel like a new man, walking straight up and no pain. Unbelievable how that felt after 8 years.

Now I occasionally have flare ups but lately I think I ripped muscles because it's a slow heal. Going on 3 weeks now since I had a massive pain spike

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
I have the same thing here. spent about 6 months taking it easy on it and icing it every night. Didn't get any better.

Doctor said same as yours. Finally I said fuck it and started working it out on a regular basis. I figured it couldn't get any worse.

After about 6 months its a lot better now

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Just curious how many deal with knee pain and what have you done about it?

For myself I am 44, 6'3, and weigh 220. Fairly active adult but the last couple of years my left knee has started be more sore and will click or pop. I had went to a sports Dr and all he wanted to do after the X-rays showed nothing was to shoot it up with Cortisone and recommend physical therapy. I went to the therapy but all they wanted me to do was leg exercises. To me that's the equivalent of throwing more boost upon a bad rod bearing.

I am not a sit on my ass type person and I like being active. My job as a machinist keeps me on my feet most of the day and I am trying to find some type of solution. I don't feel like a knee replacement is a solution either.

Any tips?
suck it up buttercup
little younger then you but same height and weight and my knees, along with my ankles pop, crack and give me shooting pains constantly.
20 years of playing ice hockey along with 20 years of 3B/catcher will do it.

I was TOLD if it got so bad that can go in and remove scar tissue but that's rare.
I do get my knee drained every spring. Fills up like a water balloon with the temperature change and moisture in the air.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I have been dealing with Knee issues recently , and although I hear your concern about Therapy, it is helpful.

In my experience with them they can help strengthen the surrounding muscle to actually support your knee.

Also have you had X-rays and or an MRI , they are a Must to get an accurate diagnosis , and don't be afraid to get a second opinion.

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,662 Posts
I have tried the ice packs on the knee and elevating in.
I don't think I dislocated it again.

On Jan. 5th of this year I think I hyper extended ( or at least that is the only thing I can think casued it) but anyways I worked on a new car I recently purchased and never rested the whole day.

I have paid dearly for it the last 5 months.

I'm thinking of going back to the same chiropractor to see if he can x-ray it again

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
60, with pain at 10-15 every day, both knees. Shots for years, but they no longer worked.
Bi lateral replacements, both at once. Pain sometimes, 3-4, I ll take it. Still healing and building strength, but progressing.

·
I.Y.H.R.F.24.7.365
11,461 Posts
knock on wood, my knee's are fine. pushing 50. 245 lb, down from 280
my ankles hurt like hell , and my flat feet. more than anything else.
They don't hurt while working, unless it is a 14hour day, then at the end they hurt. but if after work I come home and take a short break, they'll hurt when walking, but if I come home and just get to the honey do list/etc. they won't hurt until I stop for the day, sit back and relax and then get up to walk. walk 100 feet and then no pain. fine. it is nuts.

·
Pontiac aficionado
2,841 Posts
I broke my knee in half on a fall just 3 months away from retirement and those benefits and on my nickel. Split it about 8" like a cookie.
They screwed it back together but tore both ligaments. Lotta pain for 6 months and then pain and walking issues for 2 more years. Working with Medicare, Finally they decided to replace everything.

No pain now except when rain is on it's way. But isn't like my ole knee. do have limited issues but not bad.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Just had surgery 15 months ago on the right knee, i still have bad days, but it does seem to be getting better in the last couple of months...

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Get a desk job. That'll save your knees for the fun stuff.
It's been wonders for mine.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Both knees replaced 2 years ago, 3 months apart. Some days are challenging with swelling & stiffness. Laying around is NOT an option! I think back to the crippling paint I went through for 10 years & thank god I did it. 0 regrets!

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
I'm 63, 6'4" 280. I swear by this stuff.

There are other similar products that are just as good. Hyaluronic acid is the important ingredient, it repairs the moving parts in the knees. Friends I've recommended it to also get results, one gets indigestion from it otherwise it's been 100%. It's not a substitute for a knee replacement, but it's got mine to the point I don't even think about them.

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
I've had knee and other bodily joint pain especially knees since I was in my 30's. A couple three years ago I was told it was "systemic" meaning something like Lupus or Lyme disease, except I've been tested for all they can think of. Nothing really helps. I took glucosomine/ condroitin for years and finally gave up. No change that I could see. It hurts, all the time. It reduces some when I sit for a short time, or "am up" for a short time. Too much of either hurts more and or leaves me stiff. My experience is that most physical therapy people are either full of shit or don't listen

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I'm 63, had the damaged crap removed from my knee a couple years ago. My biggest complaint is the concrete flooring I spend my work day on. It doesn't give and becomes uncomfortable as the day wears on. I'm all done Friday so I will get some relief there but last week I tried some Hemp Balm on it with good results. It is expensive so I might look into the stuff mentioned above.

BTW, most orthopedic surgeons do not like to replace knees on young patients as they are only good for about 10 years or so. That's what my surgeon told me.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I've had knee and other bodily joint pain especially knees since I was in my 30's. A couple three years ago I was told it was "systemic" meaning something like Lupus or Lyme disease, except I've been tested for all they can think of. Nothing really helps. I took glucosomine/ condroitin for years and finally gave up. No change that I could see. It hurts, all the time. It reduces some when I sit for a short time, or "am up" for a short time. Too much of either hurts more and or leaves me stiff. My experience is that most physical therapy people are either full of shit or don't listen
Have you been tested for Lyme disease? If not, INSIST on it so you can begin treatment ASAP if needed. Lyme disease is not fun. Good friend has lived with it for years.

·
Registered
789 Posts
There was a little fight between my knee, a pontoon boat, and my dock about 2.5 weeks ago. This is normal, isn't it?
I am worried about long term problems but I do all kinds of stupid shit and usually heal up pretty quickly.
Sexy legs, I know. Don't go adding my legs to your spank bank you bunch of degenerate perverts...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts