Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 08 F150 CC Saturday since my old truck was well, old, but driveline wise tip top. Test drive went great, bought it. Drove it home and put it in park, truck started shuddering like half the cylinders shut off and sounded like a Kubota tractor ready to explode. Shut it off, restarted, ran fine. Hour later we all pile in to goto store, I sat in truck with kids and it was ideling fine. Wife walks out of store and the shudder started all over again and sounding like a diesel ready to come apart. Soon as we left and rpms went up, shudder went away.

Took back to dealer next morning, luckily I got it to duplicate so they all could hear it, I scanned it and came up with a p0022 code I think it was, bank 2 cam retarded. Googled some stuff andfound cam phasers r notoriously going out of these 5.4 motors. So they gave me a loaner that morning (focus yuck) and said they'd call me. Never heard anything. Called them myself later than evening and spoke to my saleman and he walked out to shop and said front of engine was tore apart so it must be what I thought it was. So gave it time since Monday was first day to order part and then wait for shipping and then reassembly. Thursday comes, still no word, I call, nobody knows anything. Finally talk to somebody that calls in the middle of a call to dealer and said my truck is ready and they'd have the keys in it, ready to go.

Picked it up last night, drove home fine. Drove it to work last night with trailer (20' open) since I just finished up a window/siding job and was packing up..but to work it ran fine. This a.m. it started "missing" on way to jobsite, got to jobsite and put it in park, the clanking of a dieing diesel sound again. I video recorded it with my watch for the date and time. Left job site, ran fine coming home, and then soon as I backed in driveway, it started acting up again. Again, I recorded it with my wrist watch for time/date stamp.

Unloaded truck/trailer and went back to dealer...mine you this is twice now and I have only put 50 miles on it, twice for same problem and once after "we fixed it". So obviously I wasn't happy and service manager said they put 2 new cam phasers and swapped out the solenoid...so I assumed cam guides and chain were still good at 76,000miles or they were doing the typical dealer bubble gum trick to make it right for the moment to give it time and then say "sorry, this time it's on you"....and I told the saleman that and asked after they said they were calling ford (I have to call them back shortly) to see what Ford had to say.

I kept saying, do you have any other trucks, can we just redo this deal on another truck since buying a poor running truck was bad enough, getting a poor running truck back after you fixed it scares me and I'd just a soon get into a different rig. "we'll work with you, and that's not out of the question, but let's see what we can do first and then I'll talk to the owner and sales manager and work something out." So I called him when I got home and sent an email stating I would much rather be in this 2010 loaner for the lil additional price (they just got it in yesterday) and would have no problem paying the difference in cash so it'd just be a loan redo.

Sorry for the long version but some of you would want the story, so I guess my question, at what point does a dealer, good sized one at that, stop vesting time and parts into a used vehicle and just try to keep a customer happy by shit canning that initial deal and putting me into something else, where I'm not getting hosed with a "depreciation" since I only have about 50 miles in the dang thing.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems your having. Those 5.4L can be a nightmare. I know some US states have lemon laws but not too sure how they work and if it is for new vehicles only or new and used. You might want to look into that?

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Unless the lot is 50 miles wide..........................................you MIGHT be screwed!... :-damnit
Good luck, regardless!... :cool:

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless the lot is 50 miles wide..........................................you MIGHT be screwed!... :-damnit
Good luck, regardless!... :cool:
Actually this dealer has a pretty good reputation and resides in a small farm town, most of their techs have 20+yrs experience so I'm hoping coming here was a good choice by what friends and family have said buying from them. Kind of a bad deal for sure, but like I told my wife I'm glad it happened this quickly so I kind of have a little bit of ground to stand on with the customer service...just hope it either gets fixed properly or I can get into this other truck which I like ALOT better.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
Does your state acknowledge a "Lemon Law"?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I know this isn't what you asked but .. I wonder if it's a low oil pressure at idle issue. I think some heads were changed for that issue. Low oil pressure and cam phasers can't work. Being it seems to only do it hot.
I know at the dealers I have worked at its the squeaky wheel thing and keep going up the ladder. Nothing a dealer owner hates more than having a fairly minor issue like this get to him. Usually he would tell Sales and Service Manager to get their shit together and fix this problem.
whether thats another truck or repair this one.

·
Registered
29,245 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable offer on your part for the 2010.
If they don't do it, you could always stand in front of the place with a sign until they do.

·
PHUCKSTICK
4,662 Posts
In Canada here is a little known law that allows a person to return a purhased used vehicle within 7 days. I returned a vehicle using it once, even though the dealer lied to me and said I couldn't, I had to involve the police though. Check and see if there isn't a similar law where you live....

·
Registered
20,089 Posts
if you fin. it you have some leverage-you realize if it stalls in traffic you could be run into, causing harm to family members, and that's big bucks against the dealership-I am sure they don't want that

·
Smashing Big Blocks
7,729 Posts
I have a 5.4 in my shop right now. Problem is the left bank timing chain is so stretched that the cam sprocket has jumped 2 gears. It wouldn't surprise me if you have the same problem. The 5.4 uses hydraulic tensioners which are pumped up via oil pressure. I'll send you a picture if you want.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I had problems with a small nissan truck I bought within first weekend and my dealer took it too check out problems it was having and by lunch had called me to say sorry but we are not selling you this truck.

I went about 2 weeks looking for another one and end up going back to same dealer because they had stepped up and did the right thing even though I had signed the as is paper. They didn't want to be known for sticking the customer .

So your dealer should have no problem putting you in the 2010 but make them run it thru service with a fine tooth comb before you take it. And they will fix an d send the 2008 to the auction to be someone else's problem.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Sorry about your luck. Makes me glad I still have my 2000 7.3 F350. New shit is nice but fucks up way too much.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
did you sign one of these..and was it checked as is
Have you ever actually read that? It does say AS IS but the vehicle still has to be delivered correct. NYS DOT Dealer Law says anything over 100,000 miles or under $1500.00 is AS IS. However any DOT motor vehicle rep will tell the dealer, "We don't care if it has 300,000 miles or you sold it for $1.00 it better go 30 days and 1000 miles or you're fixing it".

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Have you ever actually read that? It does say AS IS but the vehicle still has to be delivered correct. NYS DOT Dealer Law says anything over 100,000 miles or under $1500.00 is AS IS. However any DOT motor vehicle rep will tell the dealer, "We don't care if it has 300,000 miles or you sold it for $1.00 it better go 30 days and 1000 miles or you're fixing it".
wrong ..as always
and look like his location is iowa not new york
state

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
wrong ..as always
and look like his location is iowa not new york
state
I don't know what you're saying wrong to but I'm well aware of his location and I have a stack of those warranty stickers. You want me to send you one?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts