Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 180 straight cut gear glide w/ 9.5 inch ptc convertor they speced for my car. Built 6.0 turbo. Have a big derale trans cooler with fan mounted in the recessed area under passenger seat. 2002 trans am street driven . I am seeing 200- 210 degree temps. Fan is working on cooler...how hot is too hot?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Banksters Paradise
7,868 Posts
I've got a 180 straight cut gear glide w/ 9.5 inch ptc convertor they speced for my car. Built 6.0 turbo. Have a big derale trans cooler with fan mounted in the recessed area under passenger seat. 2002 trans am street driven . I am seeing 200- 210 degree temps. Fan is working on cooler...how hot is too hot?

I got my manual TH400 to 220 degrees several times while doing repeated full throttle runs on the street and it didn't like it. Lots of clutch material in the pan since. Filter blocked up and was slow to engage 1st. Cleaned filter changed fluid it's working good again but with the amount of clutch that was in there i know it won't last. Part of me knew better but it was due to come out for an upgrade anyway so i was being careless.

I'd keep it under 180. Add another cooler with fan.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
derale makes a thermal switch, 6an in and out, that turns on at 160*, works well in our index car. cooler under the seat does not sound like a good location for airflow, you need free air flow both in and out for the cooler for it to work well. our cooler is mounted upright on the wagon floor and ducted down into the fender behind the left rear wheel. the bottom of the quarter panel is open for air outlet, just have to knock the rubber off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my manual TH400 to 220 degrees several times while doing repeated full throttle runs on the street and it didn't like it. Lots of clutch material in the pan since. Filter blocked up and was slow to engage 1st. Cleaned filter changed fluid it's working good again but with the amount of clutch that was in there i know it won't last. Part of me knew better but it was due to come out for an upgrade anyway so i was being careless.

I'd keep it under 180. Add another cooler with fan.
Added a plate type cooler on the backside of the intercooler. We t in a 30 plus mile drive, mostly city and about 5 miles on highway, temps never got above 180.....that 2nd cooler did the trick...thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Spragless and street don't play nice.
A decent cooling system is all that's needed. Simply put, I see much higher temperatures at the dragstrip than I ever do during any kind of street driving.

·
Registered
971 Posts
derale makes a thermal switch, 6an in and out, that turns on at 160*, works well in our index car. cooler under the seat does not sound like a good location for airflow, you need free air flow both in and out for the cooler for it to work well. our cooler is mounted upright on the wagon floor and ducted down into the fender behind the left rear wheel. the bottom of the quarter panel is open for air outlet, just have to knock the rubber off.
Do you have a part # on that switch..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update, added a plate type cooler behind the intercooler, in front of 16" pusher fan on radiator. Now fluid goes up to plate first, then to derale with fan under car and back to trans. Went for an extended drive in city and in highway, never saw temps about 170. Now in traffic I'm seeing 210 and higher in motor. Think pusher fans pulling hot air off of plate cooler now. Once I get going engine temps fall to 185 or so. So I'm taking off the 16b inch fan and adding 2 12 inch derale pushers to cover more surface area of radiator. Those are 2k cfm each vs 2100 on the one fan. 4k cfm should keep the bitch cool. Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Do you also have a shrouded puller fan on the radiator? Pushers are better than nothing but pullers with shroud are more effective when comparing similar size fans.

I run both on my car. Ford Contour Dual Fans for pullers and a slim 16" in front of radiator that kicks in when I want to drive the temp down faster for hot lapping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts