Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How bad of an idea is it to run none intercooled setup with a turbo.

I know they do it in nmra ren but how hard is it on pistons and head gaskets

I will not be trying to get every last horse power out of this setup so can tune safe (but can it be tuned safe) I am just trying to keep cost done to start with

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
What cools the piston fuel,ring transfer ????? What temp does the fuel vaporize and what does that do to the knock value...

·
:D
1,427 Posts
I wouldn't even build a setup without an intercooler- just my .02 cents. If you dont have enough for it now, save some more until you do. :)
.... Even if you ran straight methanol

·
Registered
16,501 Posts
There are formulas available that give you a theoretical temperature rise based on boost.

Assuming 70% compressor efficiency, 100 deg F inlet temperature and manifold pressure of 20 PSIG, the outlet temperature of the compressor will be clost to 290 deg F.

At 30 PSIG, the temperature will be close to 400 deg F.

Now you know why intercoolers are so important.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
I wouldn't even build a setup without an intercooler- just my .02 cents. If you dont have enough for it now, save some more until you do....l
Good Advise.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Post compressor temps can reach 600+deg on high pressure applications.

I wouldn't even build a setup without an intercooler- just my .02 cents. If you dont have enough for it now, save some more until you do. :)
.... Even if you ran straight methanol
x2

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
i have a 418 sbf with an 88mm turbo, non-intercooled EFI setup. I didn't want an intercooler due to packaging reasons. My inlet temps are usually engine temp when normal driving, once I go WOT they usually peg the ATS at 255 (max on a gm air temp sensor). My guess is I'm somewhere in the low 300's. The car has been fine for two summers. The first summer I ran 15-20psi on 110 octane with a 75mm turbo. Went to the track once on 17's in 45 degree weather the car went [email protected]
I switched to e85 in 2010 and switched to an 88mm turbo. On 11psi on the dyno the car make just shy of 700rwhp. Same inlet temps.

FYI - just make sure to run enough octane and realize that you need to not be as aggressive with timing in your tune. I run the coldest plugs I can find and for my setup no more than 18 degrees of timing after 15PSI.

I can tell you that A/A intercoolers do work, my buddy has the same combo as mine with an a/a and he usually sees max inlet temps of 130-140.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
im non intercooled efi also i see around 200* @20psi, alittle higher when its real hot out.
i have a 18* 404CI WITH A PT 106

·
Registered
16,501 Posts
im non intercooled efi also i see around 200* @20psi, alittle higher when its real hot out.
You might consider checking your IAT sensor/calibration. I suspect it's either broken, slow acting or the calibration is incorrect and the ECU/datalogger reading the temperature is not showing the correct peak temperature. Even with a compressor efficiency of 100%, the discharge temperature would be around 230 deg F with a manifold pressure of 20 PSIG.

·
Montgomery Ragland
3,016 Posts
non intercooled temp are just scary:smt078, It's like putting your trans temp sensor in the out line:smt119..which I do lol:rolleyes:..

anyway. Unless you don't plan on much over 5-6psi.. I would start looking/saving to get an A/A, or A/W depending on you plans for the car.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
i have a 418 sbf with an 88mm turbo, non-intercooled EFI setup. I didn't want an intercooler due to packaging reasons. My inlet temps are usually engine temp when normal driving, once I go WOT they usually peg the ATS at 255 (max on a gm air temp sensor). My guess is I'm somewhere in the low 300's. The car has been fine for two summers. The first summer I ran 15-20psi on 110 octane with a 75mm turbo. Went to the track once on 17's in 45 degree weather the car went [email protected]
I switched to e85 in 2010 and switched to an 88mm turbo. On 11psi on the dyno the car make just shy of 700rwhp. Same inlet temps.

FYI - just make sure to run enough octane and realize that you need to not be as aggressive with timing in your tune. I run the coldest plugs I can find and for my setup no more than 18 degrees of timing after 15PSI.

I can tell you that A/A intercoolers do work, my buddy has the same combo as mine with an a/a and he usually sees max inlet temps of 130-140.

seen you on the turboforums, you got a nice car there,where did you get your alt. bracket? i too dont want a i/c but i have a ebay a2a just debating if im gonna use it or not.............

·
Montgomery Ragland
3,016 Posts
What fuel? meth inj?. your IAT sensor is being sprayed by your meth inj if it's 200*@20psi. :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You might consider checking your IAT sensor/calibration. I suspect it's either broken, slow acting or the calibration is incorrect and the ECU/datalogger reading the temperature is not showing the correct peak temperature. Even with a compressor efficiency of 100%, the discharge temperature would be around 230 deg F with a manifold pressure of 20 PSIG.
ill check in to that, on a hot day they might hit 220, but cool days they are right about 200. i suck cool outside air if that matters

·
Registered
270 Posts
How bad of an idea is it to run none intercooled setup with a turbo.

I know they do it in nmra ren but how hard is it on pistons and head gaskets

I will not be trying to get every last horse power out of this setup so can tune safe (but can it be tuned safe) I am just trying to keep cost done to start with
Whats the build? What exactly do you want to do? Then we can begin to tell you if you can or can't do so with out an intercooler. I know lots of guys with and without an intercooler. Depends on the application.

Rodney

1 - 20 of 79 Posts