Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Customer User Titty
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 4R100 is like a modernized E40d. Is it much harder to rebuild though? Or are the core components all pretty much the same ? Never seen the inside of a 4r100 and just wondering if it's something I want to tackle or not. Thinking a junkyard trans might be an easier option.

·
Customer User Titty
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically the same.

Have you built an E4OD?

There are SEVERAL specialty tools required for them, and they are not cheap.
Yeah I did one a couple years ago on one of my own trucks but I got to borrow the tools. Guess I'll google around and see if they're worth the investment to me.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Always replace the center support that is only held in by one bolt or it will leak and slide 2nd gear and set a incorrect 1-2 code

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Yeah I did one a couple years ago on one of my own trucks but I got to borrow the tools. Guess I'll google around and see if they're worth the investment to me.
They are essentially the same transmission.

Plan on the tools running upwards of $600 if you go all the way and do it right. I would install the Sonnax Sure Cure kit as well. With that kit, you will need the valve bore reamer and case bushing install tools too. Also a hone to smooth casting flash from the case bushing area.

Other tools that will be needed:

Snap ring install tool for the pump
Drum loading tool
Center support press setup
OD piston press
Huge band clamp for building the pump (I also build the pump on a spare converter snout).
Blind roll pin puller to remove the shift arm so you can replace that seal

One tool that I didn't use, but will be getting to make future rebuilds easier is the coast clutch installer tool.

The ATSG book on those transmissions is helpful as well. Especially when it comes to putting all of the check balls back in place. lol

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
Id go with a reman for sure. Motorcraft has them Check online not bad prices, most come with converter, fluid, and shipped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts