4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets do a little bench racing. Here are the Orlando rules covering Drag Radial:

VERY IMPORTANT
Cars must have 2008 World Street Nationals
Tag Only on front of car.
(Furnished with entry)
1. NHRA Safety Rules.
2. All weights listed are "with driver".
3. Pro Ladders.
4. No Cubic Inch limit.
5. Stock style and general shape car bodies.
6. Must have working horn, headlights, taillights and mufflers. Collector type headers only. (NO ZOOMIES)
7. NO nitro-methane.

DOT Radial, maximum 12" measured tread width.
3,400 lb. base weight.
Factory auto transmission with converter or OEM stick shift with single disk clutch.
Any one type of power adder.
Stock type suspension.
(Direct bolt on replacement parts or added bolt-ons such as slapper bars OK)
NO "wheelie bars"
Deduct 400 lbs. for small block with nitrous.
Add 100 lbs. for Twin Turbo's.

===============
If anyone else knows of any official rules posted anywhere please post to this thread.

Something like this?

Late Model Cobalt Carbon Fiber Pro Stock Body (meets stock style and general shape rule?) Modded for Headlights and Taillights, and don't forget to make a place for the World Street Nationals Plate, maybe a nice flush lexan panel sunk into the front of the bumper.

Full 25.2 Tubular Double Frame Rail Tubular Chassis
(doesn't appear we even need stock front or rear rails)
We'll set up the rear susp brackets for fully adjustable four-link as well as a couple tabs for 4G F-Body Lower Control Arms.

Of course we will use the ever abused and beloved Torque Arm (F-Body style) when in Drag Radial Trim. It was on another Chevy, and we're building a Chevy, so that makes it good . . . Of course the suspension will be controlling a CM Sheet Fabbed 9" with the appropriate brackets. We can unbolt the wheelie bars as needed, but the CG should be sufficently low on our custom chassis that its not a problem.

Maybe a Sonny's 864 with a Fogger if you want to give the turbo guys fits, other wise take your pick of powertrains . . . . just gotta pick up a Superglide or 210 TH400 to live behind whatever you cook up. Shifting all done electronically, no rule against that . . .

Gonna need some aero work to get as much downforce as possible out the back. 20" Wing, maybe select underbody treatments . . . should probably go ahead and use some side skirts to close the tiny gap between the rocker and the ground.

Anything here not legal, or specifically illegal? Screw the spirit in this mental exercise . . . how else do you want to bend the rules??

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
Don't forget the davis traction control.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
Lets do a little bench racing. Here are the Orlando rules covering Drag Radial:

VERY IMPORTANT
Cars must have 2008 World Street Nationals
Tag Only on front of car.
(Furnished with entry)
1. NHRA Safety Rules.
2. All weights listed are "with driver".
3. Pro Ladders.
4. No Cubic Inch limit.
5. Stock style and general shape car bodies.
6. Must have working horn, headlights, taillights and mufflers. Collector type headers only. (NO ZOOMIES)
7. NO nitro-methane.

DOT Radial, maximum 12" measured tread width.
3,400 lb. base weight.
Factory auto transmission with converter or OEM stick shift with single disk clutch.
Any one type of power adder.
Stock type suspension.
(Direct bolt on replacement parts or added bolt-ons such as slapper bars OK)
NO "wheelie bars"
Deduct 400 lbs. for small block with nitrous.
Add 100 lbs. for Twin Turbo's.

===============
If anyone else knows of any official rules posted anywhere please post to this thread.

Something like this?

Late Model Cobalt Carbon Fiber Pro Stock Body (meets stock style and general shape rule?) Modded for Headlights and Taillights, and don't forget to make a place for the World Street Nationals Plate, maybe a nice flush lexan panel sunk into the front of the bumper.

Full 25.2 Tubular Double Frame Rail Tubular Chassis
(doesn't appear we even need stock front or rear rails)
We'll set up the rear susp brackets for fully adjustable four-link as well as a couple tabs for 4G F-Body Lower Control Arms.

Of course we will use the ever abused and beloved Torque Arm (F-Body style) when in Drag Radial Trim. It was on another Chevy, and we're building a Chevy, so that makes it good . . . Of course the suspension will be controlling a CM Sheet Fabbed 9" with the appropriate brackets. We can unbolt the wheelie bars as needed, but the CG should be sufficently low on our custom chassis that its not a problem.

Maybe a Sonny's 864 with a Fogger if you want to give the turbo guys fits, other wise take your pick of powertrains . . . . just gotta pick up a Superglide or 210 TH400 to live behind whatever you cook up. Shifting all done electronically, no rule against that . . .

Gonna need some aero work to get as much downforce as possible out the back. 20" Wing, maybe select underbody treatments . . . should probably go ahead and use some side skirts to close the tiny gap between the rocker and the ground.

Anything here not legal, or specifically illegal? Screw the spirit in this mental exercise . . . how else do you want to bend the rules??

This Cobalt.... It's front wheel drive, right?
Dawg

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I say stock suspension for your given manufacturer. Corvette can run what is considered stock F-body suspension or say a classic Mustang could run a Fox suspension.

As was posted in a different thread, if a Corvette cant run the Fbody suspension then a Cobra that VINs as a Cobra must run IRS also. If you say no to that because it still a Mustang then any old classic Mustang should be able to run a Fox suspension and a classic Camaro can also run a late model TQ arm suspension.

Guys get so tied up in stock mounting points but in reality whats is mounted in the stock spots, THE RELOCATION BRACKETS are. Which makes all the stock spots irrelevant to chassis setup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This class has gotten soooo outta hand from where it started, but it IS called progression. Everyone, especially the spectators want to see these cars do incredible speeds and times. With that said, the class has had to grow with the demand of the fans and racers. We cetainly can't go backwards, noone will want to watch all these same cars running 8's again. I think, which is a matter of opinion, to set the rules straight make the cars suspension specific to that model. Hell if you can get a Cobalt to run 7's from the front drive more power to you. I just can't see letting cars run different suspensions then what came under the car. I'm not picking on Paul, I've seen the car and it is beautiful and works, but the car was illegal (by the rules, don't beat me up Paul) when it was built. Over on the drad radial board someone made the same comment that got this started. If you build a Cobalt to the rules but use a GM specific suspension you would be legal, right? No, I think keeping the suspension specific to the car will solve some of the debate. I know it will still piss others off, but you can't please everyone all the time.

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
I say stock suspension for your given manufacturer. Corvette can run what is considered stock F-body suspension or say a classic Mustang could run a Fox suspension.

As was posted in a different thread, if a Corvette cant run the Fbody suspension then a Cobra that VINs as a Cobra must run IRS also. If you say no to that because it still a Mustang then any old classic Mustang should be able to run a Fox suspension and a classic Camaro can also run a late model TQ arm suspension.

Guys get so tied up in stock mounting points but in reality whats is mounted in the stock spots, THE RELOCATION BRACKETS are. Which makes all the stock spots irrelevant to chassis setup.
The difference in vette vs Camaro and Mustang GT vs Cobra is that the rules used to say "for the make and model car"

A cobra is a Ford Mustang Cobra. Cobra is a submodel or trim designation or a Mustang just like GT or Mach1 or Bullitt is. So in that case, even though the car may VIN as a cobra, and Mustang Suspension of that year and make should be fine - as long as it bolts in like it should.

A Vette can do the same thing in that whether it is a base vette, a Z06 or any other trim designation of a Chevrolet Corvette.

·
Registered
595 Posts
This class has gotten soooo outta hand from where it started, but it IS called progression. Everyone, especially the spectators want to see these cars do incredible speeds and times. With that said, the class has had to grow with the demand of the fans and racers. We cetainly can't go backwards, noone will want to watch all these same cars running 8's again. I think, which is a matter of opinion, to set the rules straight make the cars suspension specific to that model. Hell if you can get a Cobalt to run 7's from the front drive more power to you. I just can't see letting cars run different suspensions then what came under the car. I'm not picking on Paul, I've seen the car and it is beautiful and works, but the car was illegal (by the rules, don't beat me up Paul) when it was built. Over on the drad radial board someone made the same comment that got this started. If you build a Cobalt to the rules but use a GM specific suspension you would be legal, right? No, I think keeping the suspension specific to the car will solve some of the debate. I know it will still piss others off, but you can't please everyone all the time.
Only thing about it being specific to the model is that the better factory susp. cars will have an advatage. I thought rules were to make a class fair. WTF does it hurt to put a t/a susp. under a leaf spring car or truck? as long as the control arms bolt in the front perch and the t/a crosmember is bolted in. That would not be an advantage in my opinion. Its just leveling the field a bit aint it??? Could you put a s-10 on a malibu frame and use the 4-link? that would be stock susp. . Its just when you go to a race "local" in tn you just dont see alot of leaf spring cars that are dooin what the factory 4-link and t/a cars are dooin. And it is usually in the 60' that they cant compete.. This is just my OP. ......

·
Senior Frog
10,345 Posts
my horn does not work......GOD DAMMIT......

Honestly Orlando rules mean nothing,they are NOT the rule makers,they run one race a year and its been heading down hill for the last several years
IMO Bradenton is leading the pack as to what the rules should look like nationwide IMO and with 15Gs on tap
they are IMO The DR Mecca.....Orlando can really kiss my ass
and remember all you pissed off mofos last Oct when the Orlando owner ran the worst race of the year
and aggravated everyone with his rentacops and awful final money dispersement.....The End

1 - 20 of 36 Posts