Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can you take a look at this spark plug and let me know how it looks?
Car was shut off at about 80% WOT because I had to let off due to on coming traffic on a country road.
It does have a little oil on it from the air breathers leaking at high RPM. (Too much oil staying up in valve covers) That a whole other issue.
I will be conducting this test again with a new plug this weekend. But I just wanted to get an Idea as what you guys think.

750 Modified Holley
72 Front
80 Rear
Timing 34°
383 SBC
Runs smooth on the street.

http://

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I really appreciate your input. I thought so my self but won't really know till I due a better test, buy a new plug and cut it after the test.

·
Banned
15,344 Posts
If you bump the timing to 36, which it probably will like ANYWAY, it’ll clean that plug right up.

I have several 400-450hp pump gas 383’s running around & every one of them likes 36 even on 87 koolaid.

Ymmv

·
Registered
21,690 Posts
Hello,

Can you take a look at this spark plug and let me know how it looks?
Car was shut off at about 80% WOT because I had to let off due to on coming traffic on a country road.
It does have a little oil on it from the air breathers leaking at high RPM. (Too much oil staying up in valve covers) That a whole other issue.
I will be conducting this test again with a new plug this weekend. But I just wanted to get an Idea as what you guys think.

750 Modified Holley
72 Front
80 Rear
Timing 34°
383 SBC
Runs smooth on the street.

http://
Are you running pump gas with octane booster?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I was planning on running it at 36° in the future when I took it to the track to see what she likes. So for now I decided to leave it at 34°.

And yes I'm actually running 90 Octane recreational gas (non ethanol) with octane booster. I hope that type of gas is not hurting my engine.

What do you think I should be running? I have 11:1 Compression.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
It's the octane booster that gives that orange color. With an aluminum head 11:1 on 93 premium is no problem. You are looking at idle/low speed coloring on the top of the plug. You need to look at the inside bottom of the plug to see if it's rich or lean under power. Google 'reading spark plugs with a drill' on YouTube, A 5/8 holesaw is a good way to cut them open.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the octane booster that gives that orange color. With an aluminum head 11:1 on 93 premium is no problem. You are looking at idle/low speed coloring on the top of the plug. You need to look at the inside bottom of the plug to see if it's rich or lean under power. Google 'reading spark plugs with a drill' on YouTube, A 5/8 holesaw is a good way to cut them open.
Thanks for the input. Yes it's aluminum headed. Yea the final test will be done by cutting the plug open. So I have questions.

1) Should I just run 93 premium?
2) should I keep running 90 ethanol free with booster?
3) Or should I run 93 premium with booster to get like 95 or 96 once in a while?

Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plug looks like you've run it for awhile,....if so not much value to read.
same plugs since I fired it up for the first time.a couple months old.
Don't run it much yet just occasional cruising and tuning. less than 75 miles on motor.

·
Registered
21,690 Posts
X2 that's why I asked if he was using octane booster knowing it turns the plugs orange!!:)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The only way to really get a good plug reading.

1) Install new plugs.
2) Fire engine and with as little idle/driving time as possible, go make WOT pass.
3) Shut engine off immediately after WOT pass and coast to stop.
4) Remove plug and read (or take pic).

Extended idle and any part throttle driving will screw up the plug reading.
Will

1 - 16 of 16 Posts