Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a match race this weekend on my website. We run our cars on True 10.5's, no W's allowed. Before the race, I checked the guy's tires with a measuring tape and one of the cars came out to 11.5".......This was on a 29.5 X 10.5 Mickey Thompson using a 12" rim with beadlocks. They claimed it was because they only had 8lbs of air in them. So I told them, ok...air them up. So they set them at 10lbs. Measured them again and same thing, 11.5". So they then claimed it was because the car was sitting flat on the ground. I said, all right...jack it up...they did and the tire dropped, at the contact patch, down to about 10.3/4"....

My question is, how do the True 10.5 organizations measure tires? On the ground, how much air?.....Is there a "GO / NO GO" gauge I can buy? These guy's claim they ran this same tire at the last Clash Of The Titans in San Antonio in a True 10.5 class, and they were allowed to run. Kinda confused here about the whole thing. Especially since we have never, ever lifted a car so it would pass the tire rule. Just want to be fair to the other guy's who have the right tires on and measure well under the rule.

Thanks!

·
Registered
456 Posts
TIRES – REAR: Slicks permitted. Maximum actual measured tire size is as follows: Actual measured tread of tire is limited to 10.75 inches by 28.6 inches tall. Tire width will be measured by a “go/no-go” gauge after conclusion of run at scale area. Tire tread may not extend outside fenders. Tire shaving is prohibited.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TIRES – REAR: Slicks permitted. Maximum actual measured tire size is as follows: Actual measured tread of tire is limited to 10.75 inches by 28.6 inches tall. Tire width will be measured by a “go/no-go” gauge after conclusion of run at scale area. Tire tread may not extend outside fenders. Tire shaving is prohibited.
So a 29.5 tire would not pass? And where can I get a GO/NO-GO gauge or would I have to make my own?

-Mark

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
thats for NMRA hot street
The rule in NMCA pro stock is 10.75 inches wide as measured by go-no-go guage.No taller than 30 inches as labeled on sidewall.
The more runs that are on the tires usually the wider they get.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
normally the tires allowed to run are
Hoosier 30x10.5 which are the biggest by measurement
M/T 3062
goodyear 30x10.5

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an example of a set of rules and how they measure the tires. Unsure if they lift the car in the air to measure as we've never been measured.......yet? :confused:
LOL!

Well, here is one car. As you can see, this one is well within' the rules. Car is sitting flat on the ground. Race ready.....Tire is a 29.5 X 10.5 on a 12" rim.

This is the other car, sitting flat on the ground as well....tire also a 29.5 X 10.5 Mickey.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
I think that is the wheel width JG. Our 29 stiff tires never measured anywhere near 13" even on the ground with weight on them and we ran right at the 13" max wheel width.
Tires
Any slick up to a 30 x 10.5" sidewall designation allowed. "W" tires are not allowed. DOT tires up to a 12.50" sidewall designation allowed. Hoosier tire, part number 18192D05 will not be allowed. Wheel width may not exceed 13 inches.

you sir are correct the other guy is guessing again:rolleyes:

·
**BOOSTED SBF***
3,303 Posts
I just saw toecutter's post. That is just about right for the 29's. I bet the top one is a standard 29 x 10.5 and the bottom is either a Stiff or has a ton of passes on it. Our tires usually measured about 11" at 9 psi with the weight on them and had a 13.2 section width. The standard 29 was little narrower but not much. They are all under 10.5 when they are brand new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts