Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well right now I'm a student at Wyotech. Been working on cars for 4-5 years now but decided to come here to help learn more to pass some ASE certifications. I'm just wondering how you get started in the automotive field? Tools cost a fortune, boxes are a fortune as well. I have some damn good knowledge and I've scored a lowest of 97.3 in my classes so I do know a thing or two.

Just wondering how you do it? How can I get a decent job without the vast amount of tools people have, especially all the specialty tools, air tools etc.?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Time is money so if you dont got the right tools for the job it might take you twice as long as someone more prepared, crappy tools brake when you are waiting for new one ones it cost u money, just a fyi co workers dont like lending there shit out either it gets old real quit, best of luck!

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Home Depot has a 40" box for $300 and it will last you a couple of years. Tools you dont need snap on to get started, let that come down the road. The place that hires you will have the speciality tools you can borrow until you get your own.

The biggest hurdle you have to over come is your damn good knowledge and knowing a thing or two. Learn a different way to present yourself or you will never get hired. It is great to have done well in school, great to have some background knowledge, but anyone hiring you will want to retrain you to do it their way. You presently know zero about how anyone hiring you wants things to be done, which is often different place to place and from your schooling. Your knowledge will equate only to being easier to retrain. But your attitude, as it appears here, comes across like you would be difficult to to deal with and mold.

Hope you see this as constructive criticism.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Specialty tools buy them one at a time as needed. no sense in buying something to sit in your box and not make money for a couple of years
on tools Snap on, Matco etc are high priced to start with. you can start with some decent lower end stuff and then upgrade over time. Craftsman, Kobalt etc
don't let the tool guys get you too in debt and restrain yourself on the tool truck. it is easy to get 10K in debt in a few months.

also look on craigs list, newspapers, pawn shops. be amazed what you will run across at a good bargain

·
GOD
1,859 Posts
some places are starting to have their own tool boxes for their techs....everything in the box is what you need to work on that car lines cars...
like the others said...you may know some things...but i am sure that someone knows a lot more than you...always take advice from senior co-workers...even if they are younger or have a shitty attitude....you can always learn something from someone. its tough starting out but check your local stealership and see what the deal is.......be very carefull if this is your hobby. lots of guys take their hobby and do it as a job and then when it comes to their own stuff they dont have the time or ambition. its a very tough job...back breaking and knuckle busting....best of luck to you with it....:D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Home Depot has a 40" box for $300 and it will last you a couple of years. Tools you dont need snap on to get started, let that come down the road. The place that hires you will have the speciality tools you can borrow until you get your own.

The biggest hurdle you have to over come is your damn good knowledge and knowing a thing or two. Learn a different way to present yourself or you will never get hired. It is great to have done well in school, great to have some background knowledge, but anyone hiring you will want to retrain you to do it their way. You presently know zero about how anyone hiring you wants things to be done, which is often different place to place and from your schooling. Your knowledge will equate only to being easier to retrain. But your attitude, as it appears here, comes across like you would be difficult to to deal with and mold.

Yep I taught you trained you and fucked you now wheres your girl friend

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I didnt mean to come off as arrogant or anything. Just meant it more as I'm not a retard when it comes to things. I always like learning new things and new ways to do things if given the opportunity. You would be surprised at how much some of these kids know(or dont know) and yet still pass onto the next class somehow. I've been told I'm a good worker before, used to work at a motor home rental company doing fleet maintenance, that's something very different than the normal Chevy Malibu and I was able to pick up on it and get things done efficiently. You point, I do, is pretty much how I work.

·
Registered
47,795 Posts
after 27 years as a GM dealer tech ...I don't recommend this line of work , but if you enjoy working on cars , you will always have a job , just on the low end of the wage scale

·
Registered
546 Posts
Some local industrial dealers have payment plans for students. I KNOW WE DID!! Don't be afraid to ask around. All they can say is NO. If your already employed even better chances. Good Luck!!!

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
Your getting into the wrong business!

A thankless, dog eat dog world with no retirement!

You will end up a broken old man, living in a cardboard box for all your efforts.

Copy this...put it in your wallet...use the paper it's written on to wipe your tears when you hit 65.

Thanks for stopping by,,,TLW

·
Registered
16,802 Posts

You will end up a broken old man, living in a cardboard box for all your efforts.

Copy this...put it in your wallet...use the paper it's written on to wipe your tears when you hit 65.

yep! what he said. i did it for about 6 yrs and im glad i got out

·
140th phuckstick bitches
13,676 Posts
Pawn shops and repo auctions can provide good tool deals from time to time.

some places are starting to have their own tool boxes for their techs....everything in the box is what you need to work on that car lines cars...
When I worked at Delphi as a VPA Tech they supplied the toolbox and all tools.

·
On the roller...
15,869 Posts
I'm more of a car computer nerd, but I turn a wrench now and then... I don't know how the guys who do general repair work do it day in and day out. Definitely don't get the respect they deserve...

·
Registered
13,641 Posts

Idiot... Leave like you promised.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As soon as you think you have every tool you will ever need, they will come out with some other type of fastener. I worked at a BMW and Dodge dealerships for 37 years. Standard US tools, Metric tools first Jap sizes Mainly even sizes the Euro mostly odd sizes. Then the cars got smaller quit using 3/8 drive start using 1/4 drive as much as possible okay got all of them. No you don't bring on the Torx more tools to buy. When I first started we got a tool allowence from the company that lasted about 5 years. I do not know anybody that gets one now.

You will always be able to make a living turning wrenches but you will never get rich. You will wear your body out way too fast, back, fingers, knees will all go to hell. You will be told by management how valuble you are to the company then treated like shit. You will earn maybe 10-15% of what a doctor makes he has two models to work that do not change every dam year. I wish you good luck I hope it gets better as years go on but I just do not see it happening.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Well right now I'm a student at Wyotech. Been working on cars for 4-5 years now but decided to come here to help learn more to pass some ASE certifications. I'm just wondering how you get started in the automotive field? Tools cost a fortune, boxes are a fortune as well. I have some damn good knowledge and I've scored a lowest of 97.3 in my classes so I do know a thing or two.

Just wondering how you do it? How can I get a decent job without the vast amount of tools people have, especially all the specialty tools, air tools etc.?
Due to the cost of tools , and now the addition of electronics.

I can honestly say it is not worth it to get into this line of work anymore.

In the begining its sockets and screw drivers. Then 10 years down the road its scanners $9900.00 Tool boxes $9999.00.

Plan on being on commmission your whole life, plan on investing 10% of your pay to tools. REMEMBER WHEN YOU HAVE A BAD WEEK TOOL MAN STILL GETS HIS.

Every ripple in the economy you will feel it, work slows down.

Your better off being an accountant and making 65k plus a year(no tools to buy) and playing in your garage on weekends

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
after 27 years as a GM dealer tech ...I don't recommend this line of work , but if you enjoy working on cars , you will always have a job , just on the low end of the wage scale
******Holds a bic lighter in the air***** ^^^^^Treed Me^^^^

·
Registered
4,496 Posts

Another wise man has spoken

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
As soon as you think you have every tool you will ever need, they will come out with some other type of fastener. I worked at a BMW and Dodge dealerships for 37 years. Standard US tools, Metric tools first Jap sizes Mainly even sizes the Euro mostly odd sizes. Then the cars got smaller quit using 3/8 drive start using 1/4 drive as much as possible okay got all of them. No you don't bring on the Torx more tools to buy. When I first started we got a tool allowence from the company that lasted about 5 years. I do not know anybody that gets one now.

You will always be able to make a living turning wrenches but you will never get rich. You will wear your body out way too fast, back, fingers, knees will all go to hell. You will be told by management how valuble you are to the company then treated like shit. You will earn maybe 10-15% of what a doctor makes he has two models to work that do not change every dam year. I wish you good luck I hope it gets better as years go on but I just do not see it happening.
HERE YOU GO I GOT THEM ALL GROUPED UP FOR YOU!!!!! READ QUOTES AND POSTS 16 THROUGH 19

NOW YOU CANT SAY YOU WERENT WARNED.

PS TEACHERS TELLING YOU HOW MUCH MONEY YOU WILL MAKE IS BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
WOW wish the bullet was online when i started all the posts that say : LEAVE are correct ............SPERM BANK > everyday would be better , look in to it !!!..........:yawinkle:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts