Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some country style ribs here(them big thick ones) and I've rubbed them down with my seasonings and let them sit in the fridge for a couple hours. I'm cooking these in the oven. What's the best method for making them so tender they just fall apart? Do I cook them covered? Should I cook them on a rack?
I had a good method I used to use, but I had a car accident a while back and kinda lost my memory(I take notes for everything now). Let me know what works. Thanks.

·
The Bullet Killer
36,720 Posts
cook them on a rack covered....
low and slow, likw 200 for 4 hours. then the last 30 minues cover with bbq and make a tin foil tent

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
I'm not sure why people are obsessed with 'super tender' ribs (or anything for that matter)? I like mine to have a little texture.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I always cook them covered in the oven at 250 for 2 1/2 to 3 hours and they are super tender. Also put some apple juice in the bottom of the dish you are cooking them in.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kinda like mine tender with some texture, but I'm cooking for a few elders that don't have any front teeth.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
easiest way is to boil them in some water, salt, pepper, and onions for about 45-60 min.... then throw them on top of some onions in a roasting pan with sauce (maybe add a little water, and butter) with a lid for another 60 mins. or so. until they are as tender as you like...

now flame away on the boiling of the ribs...

·
Thread killa
7,912 Posts
easiest way is to boil them in some water, salt, pepper, and onions for about 45-60 min.... then throw them on top of some onions in a roasting pan with sauce (maybe add a little water, and butter) with a lid for another 60 mins. or so. until they are as tender as you like...

now flame away on the boiling of the ribs...
Boil them in orange soda with spices then sauce and finish on the bbq.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Boil them in orange soda with spices then sauce and finish on the bbq.
that sounds good ill have to try it.
when i want a sweet tasting rib ill boil them in a 2 liter of Vernors and a bottle of beer, add some garlic and onions.
boil till almost falling apart.
then put them on the grill to brown up for a few minutes, and add your sauce.
there great when you want ribs but don't want to spend the whole day cooking them

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
that sounds good ill have to try it.
when i want a sweet tasting rib ill boil them in a 2 liter of Vernors and a bottle of beer, add some garlic and onions.
boil till almost falling apart.
then put them on the grill to brown up for a few minutes, and add your sauce.
there great when you want ribs but don't want to spend the whole day cooking them
This.

Or just beer & water and no Vernors.

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
They come out really good in an electric skillet. Set it on about 200*, season with what you like, add some onions or whatever. Cook covered until tender, probably 3 hours or so. You can turn them a time or two. They will get better color/browning than boiling or baking. If you are going to grill them, just bake them until tender, then throw them on the grill to brown. Great way to cook them IMO.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Sear them in a cast iron pan, then cover and roast for a couple hours at low heat. Remove them from the pan and make a pan sauce from whats stuck to the pan. Country style ribs are so good. Better deal then ribs on the bone too.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
What??? No Crock Pot???
Very simple.... Garlic, Salt, and Pepper... No water, No sauces, No BS.. Low and Slow in a crockpot....
To Die For...
PorkDawg

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
I use big Alum pan, like for a turkey,,Cover them with foil,,bake @ 200* for 3-4 hours them uncover ,sauce, them grill or broil.

I used to Boil but I feel it removes some flavor.

I want to get a cheap electric smoker,,I like mine with a little texture left.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use big Alum pan, like for a turkey,,Cover them with foil,,bake @ 200* for 3-4 hours them uncover ,sauce, them grill or broil.
This is the method I ended up trying and it turned out good. Tonight I'm gonna try the boiling method with either beer or soda and finish them on the grill. I'll pick up more ribs and try them in the crock pot next week.

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
I just loaded 2 slabs into the oven.
I took pics, I'll load them in a minute.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
This is the method I ended up trying and it turned out good. Tonight I'm gonna try the boiling method with either beer or soda and finish them on the grill. I'll pick up more ribs and try them in the crock pot next week.
Once you get there, you'll never go back... Let me know how that goes..
CrockDawg

·
Registered
9,944 Posts

1 - 20 of 34 Posts