Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm aware that I have to fase the distributor every time I pull timing out for every stage of nitrous,(i have 2foggers):confused: how are guys doing it???
Thanks

·
T/S 368E
30,508 Posts

OH, MY Frigging god??????????????/

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
unhook solenoids,activate retards while using a timing light(motor running) shine through a drilled hole at #1 terminal and line up rotor tip...u have to have a crank trigger setup to do this.....there are threads about it in this section.

i phase mine at 17(1st kit) and pull down to 12 on the 2cd..never been a problem even with 12 extra out on the lauch retard...i do have a big cap distributor.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Did he just call it "NOSE"??????????? Better call Vin Diesel!! He knows what to do......lol. just messing with ya:)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The correct way to do it is;
Add all your retards let's say 5 degrees for first kit and 10 degrees for second so, your total amount that you will retard will be 15 degrees... The distributor MUST be phased in for the total amount of timing your motor will run down the 1/4... If you have a crank trigger is really simple if you don't you need to get an adjustable distributor rotor from Msd...!

·
Registered
180 Posts
The easiest way that I was told how to do it is with the motor not running so if you wont it fased in at 15*
Bump the motor around to bring the #1 piston up then turn your crank trigger to 15* loosing the distributor an turn the rotor so that it points to #1 an your done.....

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
I assume you have a crank trigger............if so, here is the easiest way to do it. Lets just say for an example, that you have 15 degrees of total timing, when both kits are on. With the motor not running, turn it over until the timing pointer, is at 15* on the balancer. Now rotate the dist, until the rotor is pointing at cylinder number 1 terminal of the cap. Thats it, your done, rotor phased.

Monte

·
Registered
415 Posts
I assume you have a crank trigger............if so, here is the easiest way to do it. Lets just say for an example, that you have 15 degrees of total timing, when both kits are on. With the motor not running, turn it over until the timing pointer, is at 15* on the balancer. Now rotate the dist, until the rotor is pointing at cylinder number 1 terminal of the cap. Thats it, your done, rotor phased.

Monte

X2....
Easiest way, no need to use a timing light.
If you get down too low it may not want to get up on the trans brake... Worth checking to make sure...
I have always used 15 degrees as a rotor phasing, even when it was pulled back to 5 total...

·
Registered
4,182 Posts

Monte
This is how we've been doing it. Easy

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys, yes i am running a crank trigger so it will be pretty easy just going to get back into racing this year its been almost 9 years since i last tuched a motor so its all new again:rolleyes:... everything has change so much, and back then we never were doing it like that:confused:

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
What if your not running a crank trigger?
You don't worry about it, because there is nothing you can do. Rotor phase is the reason you go to a crank trigger. A dist is always going to be phased where the base timing is set. If your dist, is set for 30 degrees of timing and you retard 15 for nitrous, your rotor is 15 degrees out of phase on the nitrous. You can help the situation, by putting a large cap on there, which gives you more room between terminals, which helps the crossfire issue, but if you retard enough timing, on a dist based system, it WILL crossfire and there is nothing you can do about it.

Monte

1 - 20 of 21 Posts