Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Relatively new here, but I've been lurking for a few months. I see all these cars with twin turbos, nitrous, etc all running nines or better.........how do you guys afford this stuff? I have a good job but if I want to build a $75,000 car its going to take me 20 years as my Chevelle has.

Do you have your own businesses, work three jobs or eat fast food every day? Do the wives support your habit or are most of you single? I have a bunch of cars, but half of them don't run or are junk.

Just looking for some thoughts.............I'm going to buy a house plus have a family soon and I'm just looking for a way to go fast and not sell all the stuff I currently own.

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
I have built my twin turbo drag radial car with a whole lot of long days working my ass off . By day I am a union electrician and of an evening I sell parts . My car is paid for with all my overtime and everything I sell . My wife helps out at times but I pay her back asap . It has taken me five years but I am almost done . Good luck with your car .

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It would help if you were working on one car instead of the SEVEN
listed in your sig. Sell six and you'll have some change to throw at the
'ol race car. In my case, I sold my business and went back to work for another guy.
Some of that income went towards the car.
Mostly you have to be willing to sacrifice something.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
It is 10pm on a saturday night. and im at work making O/T. I live as cheap as possible to afford to build my car. Do as much of my own work as possible. I literally live at my race car shop in the office room if that gives you any clue as to my dedication to finishing my car.....

oh yeah, ONE car, not seven!

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
It isnt done overnite -not unless you are rich - but i try to do everything myself -if i had to pay someone i couldn't do it -just remember race cars love money

·
Registered
400 Posts
i am young with a good job good credit. i still live a home so the car takes all my money people say i am stupid but i say do it now while i can. and gt 350 is right race cars love money

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
$$$$$

I run a muffler/custom exhaust shop---I pay for 80% of my race budget with sales of scrap cat converters & scrap metal....people get real surprized when I tell them what a trailer load of scrap brings:-Daw/ getting 5bucks a ol'battery... copper.goes up daily... cats...sold 5 cats for 475$ the other day...got guys/buyers trying to outbid each other for em' platnium has never been this high[whats inside cats]...Im using my old open car hauler for scrap metal hauling.. just park it and load it up...I used to give scrap to poor people....but fuck-it...thanks to china :-D..metals of all kind are damn near as good as gold

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it! Its kinda neat to see the amount of dedication some of you have to getting it done!

I guess I kinda asked for it with the list of seven vehicles though....

Just to calarify, the S10 is owned by a friend..........we take turns running it at Cecil throughout the year and it can be seen here.

http://clickclickboom.smugmug.com/gallery/5325696_pKokJ#325350085_uhpGv

The Chevelle is my high school hot rod that I've always wanted to be my race car..............owned it for 20 years now.

The Vette was owned by my father and its been in the family since 1975.

Bought the Firehawk in 1996..........wouldn't get much if I sold it and same goes for the Camaro, which was just put back together.

Mazda is the daily and the bike is just a toy.......even if I sold the Camaro, Firehawk and bike it would only get me about $20,000. If anything goes, they will.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I have a really good job, but I pay for my house / bills first, put money in my 401k and retirement accounts second, I take what is left and split it three ways. One third goes to the race car (which I have been upgrading for 13 years now with buying, selling, trading, and of course spending more $$$ ) I use another third for other toys, and the last 1/3rd I put away for a rainy day.

The g/f works as well, about half her money goes to bills, a quarter to retirement, and the last quarter for her fun / hobbies.

You really just need to concintrate on what you want to do, set goals for your self... If you want to say run 9's, set it as a goal and look at it like " what do I have to do to afford it " and do that.... Then set another goal and so on... I would say, never finance a toy, because when you HAVE to work to play, it makes play less fun... When you know your toy will sit there and not cost you any money if you dont use it, it is a much better feeling.

But oh well, I am only 27 so I dont have that much life experiance yet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$475 for 5 cats?? Holy crap! I was just gonna throw the old ones off my Camaro away! Not now!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gt_diesel,

Sounds like you are wise beyond your years with a plan and a car like that at 27!

·
Registered
300 Posts
i have a good job working in a speed shop as seen in my sig that pays well and it also helps to get parts at cost rather than paying what my customers are paying, i do cash mechanical jobs on the side and sell second hand parts that i have got to live my dream, im building a car with my uncle that hopefully will run 7.0hs twin turbo, out of my budget but with both of us together we should be able to make it happen sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Thank you!!!

I have had some great people help me along the way and my family has been awesome.

I have always been a really hard worker and have tried to learn a lot from everyone who has done it before...

I will say, I have come a long ways since my old 11 second Dodge Omni... lol.

I have been pretty lucky thru the years and have run all types of cars... The supercharged door cars are my favorate.

One of these days I am hoping to get into Pro Mod... It is a hard thing to do, but anything is possible with hard work and determination... A little extra $$$ dosnt hurt either, but that is hard to come by these days... lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Going 9's doesn't cost that much, just depends how you wanna go about doing it.
The Chevelle should go 9's with the combo it has now...........once I get the thing done we'll see...........I'd like it in the 8's at some point, but still be able to drive it occasionally...........

·
Registered
645 Posts
Reducing expenses has been my key lately. I'm single, mid 20's, live at home with the parents for now, don't drink alcohol or beer, and don't eat at fancy places. I've also met a lot of good people in the industry which helps me buy the right parts the first time and for a good price. I've also got a decent job and no college loans to pay off.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts