Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Duct Tape and WD-40
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, we are about to get gung-ho on this car now that everything we need to finish is here. how important is turbo placement(as in drawing in cold air froim out side the car) i was thinking of mounting it sideways right in front of the motor (like a million other lsx f-bodies) for ease of installation and fab work. its a 4th gen camaro, truck manifolds. well pretty much truck manifolds, they are actually fox body shorties put on an LS flange. the car has an air to water with a huge (7-8 gallon) ice tank.

if its drawing in warm air, roughly how much power, and boost is left on the table? i have heard at speed there is as much as 100hp and more, and some have said they were able to make higher boost at speed... or is this something i'm just blowing this outta proportion? i have noticed some of the fastest guys running the truck manifolds have it facing the same way i'm thinking of... i'm just butting heads on the way this should be set up... two people building a car, and have two different opinions...

so is mounting the inlet so it draws fresh could air really that much of an advantage with a good air to water as opposed to setting it in the engine bay?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I`m getting ready to fab up my hot-side, SBF Mustang, and was wondering the same thing.

·
Duct Tape and WD-40
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i honestly don't think its gonna make that much of a defference... they are guys making some killer power and going 200mph and their set-up is exactly how i was thinking of doing. a perfect example are the cars from the ohio boys

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
You can get what I call " bonus" boost from a forward facing turbo. It's nit something you'll see at low speed but on the top end of the track. Mickey thompsons challenger 1 had forward facing scoops on it's 4 motors, Mickey said at speed that setup had 6 psi of positive manifold pressure. Info taken from a book on him and the car. Now, turbos are pressure multipliers and heat multipliers. Cooler the air is going in, cooler it will be going out. Take a turbo with a PR of 3. Typically that's a boost pressure of 29 based off of atmospheric of 14.5. Now what happens IF say at speed you are feeding it perhaps 2.5 psi of positive pressure. Output just jumped to 34.

If you put it out front don't just cut a hole. Fabricate some ducting. Most sanctioning bodies limit the hole to 5 inches in diameter. Make it that big then use some sheet aluminum to build a duct right to the impeller wheel. If you mount it behind the rad, take some aluminum tubing and build an inlet pipe that draws cold air from somewhere.

·
Duct Tape and WD-40
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you mount it behind the rad, take some aluminum tubing and build an inlet pipe that draws cold air from somewhere.
thats exaclty what i was thinking of... although we it does see street time there will be a filter on it so i can't forget to either leave room for that, or have one duct for the track and one for street use. i am leaning towards right in front of the motor. looking at some manifold set ups it look easy enough to build in a couple hours a night for a couple nights

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
its nice to have in open spot facing forward.that forced cool fresh air never hurts.i got mine mounted sideways in front of the radiator so it gets cool air.i got a 3rd gen and its right above the grille.it made it easier to run my exhaust also.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i scrounged a pic of mine.its no miilion dollar peice but it runs good.its a borgwarner s480 with 4 inch exhaust.but its good for some low 5 i hope this season since i uped some things.but it was built on a budget.so flash isnt for mebut i got a new radiator coming.alos changing motorplate

·
Registered
17,478 Posts
A turbo is an air pump. Each turbo has a maximum cfm that it will flow. Depending on where your engine lives on the P1/P2 compressor map, it may be more important to lower the inlet temperature. Lower temperature with the same cfm flow will increase the lbs/hr flow rate.

That is the simple explanation. Knowing the correct answer would require applying some basic formulas to your combination. If you want to try, here's some reading.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_tech103.html

·
Registered
713 Posts
well i used to put my turbo sideways like that and now its in the grill at the same settings we picked 5mph and 2 psi more with out changing anything besides where the turbo was facing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts