Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
A Titanium valve! Lol
Excellent, I can always count on you for a direct to the point answer, lol. That was my next question. I was told I'd be ok with the manley severe duty but getting close to needing Ti. Do you use lash caps with Ti valves?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I believe that he (goneracin) has made this case in the past. That the deflection will return at the top of the lobe, even if there is no real loft as in a less than maxed out application. As someone stated, you don't usually see much wear on the top of the lobe.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe he is saying you cannot measure deflection without a Spintron because it is only there while it is running. It doesn't show itself while checking statically with indicators because there is no dynamic force being applied like a running engine.
not really what i meant. ill try to explain what i mean
if you put the real parts on the engine (springs rockers pushrods etc) and measure net lift at the valve turning it over, you will have less lift than what math would tell you due to parts deflection.
Some, if not all of this deflection goes away during operation as the parts will "pole vault" or unwind to a certain degree and straighten out.. Granted what ive seen on the spintron was prostock, so reasonably aggressive....lol, but the prostock actually had more lift than the math said it should due to loft. So for us, i always measure the lift with light checkers to get the actual ratio of the rockers, and get the lift assuming the polevaulting gets me back to that lift. Then we set the springs up based on this theoretical unwinding. Since i do not have a spintron, i can only assume this as we dont spin every combination.
make sense or did i do a shitty job of explaining myself....lol.
it makes sense in my head anyway

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Excellent, I can always count on you for a direct to the point answer, lol. That was my next question. I was told I'd be ok with the manley severe duty but getting close to needing Ti. Do you use lash caps with Ti valves?
im not warp, but ill answer
yes, we use lash caps.
you can use valves with hardened inserts on the tips, but i have had several tips fail costing someone a motor, so we stopped with the inserts and just use caps on everything

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
not really what i meant. ill try to explain what i mean
if you put the real parts on the engine (springs rockers pushrods etc) and measure net lift at the valve turning it over, you will have less lift than what math would tell you due to parts deflection.
Some, if not all of this deflection goes away during operation as the parts will "pole vault" or unwind to a certain degree and straighten out.. Granted what ive seen on the spintron was prostock, so reasonably aggressive....lol, but the prostock actually had more lift than the math said it should due to loft. So for us, i always measure the lift with light checkers to get the actual ratio of the rockers, and get the lift assuming the polevaulting gets me back to that lift. Then we set the springs up based on this theoretical unwinding. Since i do not have a spintron, i can only assume this as we dont spin every combination.
make sense or did i do a shitty job of explaining myself....lol.
it makes sense in my head anyway
I do see what you are saying now. ....and I was wrong. lol
How do you know if the loft gets to or exceeds the theoretical lift number? Would a more aggressive lobe ramp have more loft?

·
Registered
542 Posts
im not warp, but ill answer
yes, we use lash caps.
you can use valves with hardened inserts on the tips, but i have had several tips fail costing someone a motor, so we stopped with the inserts and just use caps on everything
Thanks, that's what I've read also, my brother had a lash cap come off once as well, but no damage. Not sure why, maybe geometry, just a 400 hp 302. Lash caps it is then.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I do see what you are saying now. ....and I was wrong. lol
How do you know if the loft gets to or exceeds the theoretical lift number? Would a more aggressive lobe ramp have more loft?
without spinning it you dont know. its an assumption. depending on where it gets more agressive yes it will increase loft. but thats dependant on the spring. Our sportsman shit i asum it at lest gets back to theoretical, and go from there as we really dont know. But id rather miss loose than miss tight..

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thanks, that's what I've read also, my brother had a lash cap come off once as well, but no damage. Not sure why, maybe geometry, just a 400 hp 302. Lash caps it is then.
some people like the insert. i used to like the insert...lol. its all what youve seen fail and cost money. ive broken lash caps(may not have been the caps fault) and ive had inserts fail. the lash cap failure was over 11k rpm, the insert was a 7500 rpm heavy nitrous deal. i trust the cap more i guess. the nitrous deal, #6 intake failed. and the pusrod fell out. all that nitrous now backed up and went into 8. burned through the sleeve into the alum block........lol.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Hollow stems SS for a bit of a weight loss before going to the costly Ti valves.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
some people like the insert. i used to like the insert...lol. its all what youve seen fail and cost money. ive broken lash caps(may not have been the caps fault) and ive had inserts fail. the lash cap failure was over 11k rpm, the insert was a 7500 rpm heavy nitrous deal. i trust the cap more i guess. the nitrous deal, #6 intake failed. and the pusrod fell out. all that nitrous now backed up and went into 8. burned through the sleeve into the alum block........lol.
I think the insert maybe ok on an 11/32" valve, but anything under it ...no, my 532 are 11/32" and have been in there since 2014 and see 8500 RPM every shift and pass... Maybe I'm lucky... But 5/16" or smaller I use caps.... LOL

·
Registered
555 Posts
Manley with their NexTek springs want at least enough lift on the spring to prevent the spring from "surging".
As anyone seen surging on a spintron?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hollow stems SS for a bit of a weight loss before going to the costly Ti valves.
My only reason not already going to Ti, besides the cost, is that I have two sets of manley and didnt want the maintenance of Ti and don't love lash caps. I have never ran Ti and just going by others. The hollow stems may be a good option. These ss are 139g on the 2.19 intake and 108g for the 1.71 ex

·
Registered
25,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My only reason not already going to Ti, besides the cost, is that I have two sets of manley and didnt want the maintenance of Ti and don't love lash caps. I have never ran Ti and just going by others. The hollow stems may be a good option. These ss are 139g on the 2.19 intake and 108g for the 1.71 ex

For comparison, I have a Ferrea 2.19 hollow intake on my BBC.
Length is 5.288 and weight is 126.0 grams.

·
Registered
25,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Not trying to steal your thread here bud but it's been a good discussion and I assume you are learning also

No problem at all.
My reply was the exact same stuff somebody had already posted and that I hadn't read yet.
I felt like a dope and changed mine to the "never mind" reply.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts