Yellow Bullet Forums banner

How can Milan get Heads up night to end at a reasonable hour

36K views 160 replies 61 participants last post by  Been There 
#1 · (Edited)
No need to bash, It must be hard on everybody Track personal, racers and fans alike to run so late. Cutting open comp in 1/2 is probably not a good financial move for Milan,
I really think it's as simple as starting earlier. Open gates at 9:00 am and start event at 12:00.

Advantages:

1. Well the obvious we will be done by 12:00am like we used too.
2. The same fans that get off work and get there at 6pm will catch the best racing and stick around for the final rounds.
3. It will give Milan staff more time to be prepared.... this is after all their money night.
4. For safety reasons we won't be running on the track during the wee hours of the morning Dew/Cold. (this one should be #1)

Disadvantages:

1.Racers that can't get off work till 4-5 pm, I would guess this is a small amount and mostly OC guys, seems these guys have bracket cars and should only need 1 or 2 qualifiers
anyway, this is heads up night and the fans pay extra on this night to see Heads up cars. I myself schedule all races I plan on attending with my employer earlier in the year.

2, Milan would have to pay the staff 3 hours more this isn't financially advantageous for Milan and would be just to make the program better for all, seems like a small
cost relative the size of the event.

Out of town events with this many cars usually takes 2 days why would Milan be any different. In the long run this would be best for the program and everybody involved
Hopefully this will be considered for the remainder of the season otherwise the Sept and October races will be unsafe to run final rounds and fans will be long gone due to the cold
Weather.

Chris Cadotto

See less See more
#4 ·
I know I'm new but I have to agree with the loud red truck guy. Most fans didn't hang around to even see a race. I packed up and left around 2:30 I believe, after the second round was over. Maybe it's just me but I feel a safety issue staying up that late. I personally start losing coordination when I get that tired. Heck I swerve more than I should on just the drive home afterwards. Maybe I'll never make it until 4am to run but if my car ever decides it wants to do something stupid, I would like to be at my best to do what I can and I'm sure the fans would love to see some real races

#5 ·
Just an opinion, but I believe a LOT of time is wasted waiting for racers of all classes to make it to the lanes. This is an on going issue and it's not Milan's direct fault. IMHO, there should be a set time from when the first call is made to make it to the lanes. Everyone knows the run order, if you can't make it to the lanes within xx minutes of the first call, you're out. It's hard for Milan to put on a race if the cars are not in the lanes.

#7 · (Edited)
Just an opinion, but I believe a LOT of time is wasted waiting for racers of all classes to make it to the lanes. It's hard for Milan to put on a race if the cars are not in the lanes.
^^^^^THIS^^^^
and I'm sure starting earlier would help...............
Clean up of anything, fixing cones etc. not taking an hour
Staging the cars to line in a more orderly and quicker fashion. Many times guys are not even fired or behind the water box as a pass is being made.
Lots of down time between those two alone........

#13 ·
My thoughts...

This Friday program is supposed to be more professional/serious than a typical bracket sunday. With that said, the open comp guys who do show up should be ready to do battle with NO time trials. This will be a seasoned class, no rookies would dare have a chance at going past round 1 unless luck is present. :) Give it a kickass name like Survivor Comp....or Battle Comp....

Heads up classes get 1 qualifiers and a 32 car field. This allows more racer participation in a qualified field and the top dogs get to pick off stragglers, ALMOST guaranteeing a first round victory, even if they make a half assed pass. Less qualifiers makes the racing a little more unpredictable and that rules!!

#15 ·
It took 13hrs to complete the race. Approximately 650 passes, 325 pairs. There is lots of room for improvement. When the curfew was enforced, things were far more efficient. Racers not making the call were out. This past Friday there was a much bigger gap between cars. I honestly think it's an easy fix with the right mind set and execution.

#16 ·
Also what was the deal with that Maroon Chevelle it was some grudge racer expedition run right in the middle of a all ready behind heads up event. I looked like pile of crap it did a burn out backed up pulled forward, backed up did another burnout wasted about 1/2 hour and never made a pass, why was this even allowed to run on this night??

#18 ·
It's Once a Month swap out a No.E.T. and run Sat.. Start q1 at 9:00 a.m for Open Comp racing at 1:00p.m. Let's the Out of Towners get a chance to get here Friday Night If they want to test Friday money in Milan's Pocket, race Sat money in Milans Pocket, if they would like to stay Sunday and Test Money in Milans pocket...just my x2 cents....

#19 ·
I have to say I thought it was a great night and did not mind racing all night. I'm glad they did not just split the money at midnight. Both of my kids race open comp and that is the only class that seems to move fast. I would bet if the whole pace was picked up, you would see a difference in the time the race is over. I feel as soon as a pair leaves the starting line the next pair should be starting there burn outs. And the next pare should be coming around the corner. To much time is wasted waiting for cars to come around the corner. Just my 2 cents..

#20 ·
Chris, I like the idea that you are starting a dialogue. No doubt about it, the system has broken down somewhere and it does need to be fixed. I agree with StickShifter, cars should be given a set period of time and the track needs to stick to it. I also believe that cars that are not legal for the class should not make it through tech and be allowed to run or "exhibition" cars or no et cars. The track has test & tune for a reason and if you don't like the surface on a tnt day, go somewhere else. Koolrayz has a solid suggestion for helping to ensure the safety of the drivers too. Other tracks have extinguishers all down the track. Then again, if a driver was so concerned for their safety at 4a.m., why did they choose to go down the track? You have to take ownership of your own safety before others will.
However, aren't we all just wasting our breath? This is not a suggestion box. Milan has stated they don't read Yellowbullet and they have proven that they don't really care to listen to constructive criticism or helpful honest opinions from the true customers.

#22 ·
The race doesnt need to be started earlier, just run properly (pick up the pace, set time limits, enforce rules, etc). Think back to 2006ish, far bigger car counts and the race was finished at midnight (or very shortly after).

I remember in the past cars doing a burnout as soon as the forward pair left the starting line. I video tape ALOT and I have to be very careful not to get in the way of the cars behind us. In recent time, that seems not to be the case. I can stand in the middle of the lane and video without another car coming at me.

Milan needs to start the process and the racers need to help move things along....

#70 ·
I really which you would not state facts, and then back them up with data! You are just screwing up everyone's emotional response about the last race, which was the latest in the last 5 years, it had Fireworks (how much time did that add?) Sure the fans liked them, worth the extra time and $ ??

Did a quick total, if I did it right

Average end time = 1:45 am

I hope to have a dog in this fight next month (AM) I will be the happiest person there when I HAVE to stay until the final round because I am still in. But lets face it, Half the field is out after the first round, and 2/3 are gone by the 2ed. If getting home is the goal put your stuff in the trailer and go once your out. We all want to hang out and watch the races, but that is an individual decision if your out.

As for the spectators once they enter the gate, Milan can only make $ from them at the beer stand. If they come back next month they were satisfied with what they got for their money. Personally, I believe most fans would rather see continues action, the fast cars at least 2 or 3 times, and not worry about the last couple of rounds. Rather than removing or limiting OC car count.

Having to many spectators in the pits and the lanes! Is that not the goal, It is working people want to come and spend $ to watch. Until they restrict a car from pulling out of the lanes and slow down the show, there not the issue.

So If limiting dead time does not work what about first 2 rounds of qualifying Thursday night, 1 or 2 QR Friday with a set first round start time??

#25 ·
I would think that a group of racers that represented themselves in a professional manner set up a meeting with the officials at milan, could possibly have some constructive converstation that included ideas on how to help the situations as seen by the racers. Not try and go in with demands, but things that they and we could do together to make fri nights go smoother and quicker. Some solutions that didn't step on any class, or anyone brought forth in a positive manner should work for everyone. It's just a thought.

#33 ·
Agreed! I would also ban all fuel injected LS combinations as they are a special hybrid type big/small block that takes an excessive amount of time to stage and heat the tires.... The amount of fans fighting to get a glimpse of this new futuristic cheater design in the staging lanes really impacts the overall time it takes to finish the race.. Just my humble opinion...:)

#26 ·
I'm from ontario and as a fan this was way too late? Almost seemed strange to be running on a dew covered track. Watched the fireworks, listened to the national anthem, then open comp cars? I left at 11 and got home at 2? But I will say, what an amazing bunch of cars that showed up in all classes. I love the Friday program but it's almost a 3 shift operation.

#27 ·
Our time slip times from last Friday....
Q1 4:23pm
Q2 6:37pm - 2:14 later
Q3 9:26pm - 2:49 later

E1 11:55pm - 2:29 later
E2 1:42am - 1:47 later
E3 2:49am - 1:07 later
E4 3:44am - 0:55 later (we didn't wait for the call for the final, we just went up and said we're ready)

#29 ·
IMO... Better communication between the tower and the guys in the lanes, those lanes should be packed all night ready for the next round and I know some might disagree but a time limit must be set and ENFORCED when 1st 2nd and final call to the lanes.