Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finshing up a 572 pump gas motor for my street car and I need to know how bad I screwed up. Here's the story. My pushrods cam in yesterday to I went out to install them and adjust the valves. I dropped the hyd roller Lunati/Morel lifters(I have the mid range lifters with the fully exposed rollers) and put the pushrods in and started adjusting the valves in the firing order. I got the last cylinder which is #2 and I noticed that the lifter did not look right. I looked closely and I realized the lifters were in backwards which I did not even know was possible. The lifters were turned ~45 degress so the roller was not straight and it make a mark on the cam on both lobes for #2. The engine made two complete revolutions by hand while setting the other valves. I can feel the marks with my fingernail but the edges are not sharp since they were made with the roller itself. The mark is only on the top of the lobes and half way down to the sides. I do not want to take any chances so I would lilke to know if the cam needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I decided to error on the side of caution and I ordered a new cam and lifter pair. I ordered the replacement parts from the same vendor(Discount Performance Parts) I ordered the original parts from and the guy felt bad that I had to buy the parts twice so he ended up selling them to be $85 off retail and no shipping charges. I thought that was nice of him since the problem was totally my fault.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I decided to error on the side of caution and I ordered a new cam and lifter pair. I ordered the replacement parts from the same vendor(Discount Performance Parts) I ordered the original parts from and the guy felt bad that I had to buy the parts twice so he ended up selling them to be $85 off retail and no shipping charges. I thought that was nice of him since the problem was totally my fault.
That's cool of him ! Need more people like this .

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Sorry you messed up but good to hear about Discount Perf Parts, I have looked at their site before but never ordered anything. Hearing how they helped you out makes me wat to try them next time around.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
No dog bones or link bars? Shouldn't of been able to install at a 45* angle

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No dog bones or link bars? Shouldn't of been able to install at a 45* angle

I would have not thought so either but if you take a BBC roller lifter with a link bar and flip both lifters upside down then put them in the lifter bores the link bar will be on the right side and everything will look normal other than the arrow on the link bar will be pointing down and the lifters will be turned 45 degrees but you can only tell they are turned by looking at where the roller contacts the cam. I did not think it would be possible to put them in wrong with the link bar having a offset so I did not pay close enough attention when installing them. I played around with them after finding the problem and they will go in either way. Hopefully someone else will learn from my mistake and save themselves some money!

·
Registered
476 Posts
You could have sent the cam in for a regrind for a fraction of the price. I had a roller lifter mess up a few years ago and my builder had me send the cam back in for a regrind for a fraction of the price of a new one. They can regrind it to the original specs which is nice.
JM2C

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I've busted lifters, and scratched and run them much worse than that, but on a street car or driver I'd be a little more weary.
Probably sand it and be ok

1 - 15 of 15 Posts