Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Embalmer
1,335 Posts
I looked at close to 20 - 6.4 trucks.. and pulled the Oasis reports on them.. Almost everyone had spent alot of time in the shop. as well as some of major repair stuff requires the cab to to removed or shifted to do the job...

I opted to go with a new 6.7 truck.. couldnt be happier... The cost savings on the few year older truck wont make a difference if the warranty runs out and you have to fix it on your dime...

DS

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
Most work on any Ford diesel powered truck needs the cab pulled. That's just the way they tucked the engine back into the cowl.

I'm currently looking into purchasing another diesel pickup as well. I have spoke to about 10 guys with the 6.4 and all told me that their biggest bitch was the fuel economy, or lack there of. None of them told me that they got into the teens for mileage and pretty much everyone told me they were getting single digit MPG when towing. Hell, if you're going to get that crappy of mileage you mind as well drive a gasser truck.

I also talked to a diesel mechanic who told me about a pump that is common to go out and when it does it can take the motor out.

I'm avoiding the 6.4 like the plague.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Why not look at Ram? In particular, the 2013 and 2014 give excellent mileage with the new emissions strategy (DEF), and the Cummins engine has been reliable since Dodge first used it in the 1989 models. The 2007.5 through 2012s, however, don't give such good mpg figures. Ford keeps coming out with new "improved" engines and then has to drop them after devastating warranty problems.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Why not look at Ram? In particular, the 2013 and 2014 give excellent mileage with the new emissions strategy (DEF), and the Cummins engine has been reliable since Dodge first used it in the 1989 models. The 2007.5 through 2012s, however, don't give such good mpg figures. Ford keeps coming out with new "improved" engines and then has to drop them after devastating warranty problems.
My 2012 Ram 3500 gets 21mpg on the hiway. couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
My '08 as you know was my attempt at giving Ford another chance. Ran great until about 93,000 miles and then when I took it in they said fuel was tested at the engine and too much water so no Warranty. Two problems with this 1) They had not even determined it was fuel related and 2) just the week before I changed fuel filters and on those, the frame rail filter will drain out all the fuel above it so the possibility of it getting that much water to the top of the motor is slim to none. Oh well I guess. Back to GM.

·
Registered
419 Posts
A friend of mine works for FORD as a diesel mechanic, and he said the 6.4L put him out of working on the 7.3L and 6.0L. He does on average 2 longblocks a week(granted he does work at a dealer that deals mostly in commercial truck sales), and hasn't touched anything but a 6.4 in over 2 years. He jokes how who would have thought the 6.0L would have proven itself to be better after it's history.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I too work at as a Ford Diesel tech. I would never have a 6.4,way to undependable. Way to labour intensive to own as an out of warranty driver.
Although they break down less than a 6L when they do its way more catastrophic.!
Have said may times I would not even hook my trailer to one. Not dependable enough.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
I never thought I'd see the day when a 6.0 was considered the better choice.

The 6.4 is probably the reason why the 6.0 trucks are drawing more money now than they ever did at the auctions.

·
Registered
876 Posts
My dads neighbor HAD a 08 6.4 and claimed lemon law on it,dealer spent around $20,000 on it to no avail.....

·
Registered
304 Posts
listen, like most models there are some turds. just seems like more fords have problems in part because of the volume sold. I am a diesel tech for ford and have seem the most severe failures. but at the end of the day you cant beat them, over the winter I built one for a guy with no major work make 700hp on fuel. the key to getting the most out of it is deleting the dpf. guy comes inot my shop getting 10mpg and leaves getting 17...

·
Registered
20 Posts
They have a ton of power and cab comfort... but many of them have spent a lot of time in the shop (or will).. you will have the ones that seem like a perfect truck "never had a problem" but Ive seen many of them where the front cover cracks more often then not and puts coolant in the oil pan. 2,7,8 cylinders are prone to issues along with common head gasket failure... head studs do fix that issue butttt... Ive personally seen quite a few blocks crack while head studs were being installed... more common on the 08 and earlier blocks then others. Id personally shy away.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've never seen one hit 200k without a major failure. Most have multiple major failures. If it was all they hoped it would be they wouldn't have designed the 6.7 themselves. Being able to load a 300hp tune on a stock truck is pretty cool. That is also part of the problem.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
I've never seen one hit 200k without a major failure. Most have multiple major failures. If it was all they hoped it would be they wouldn't have designed the 6.7 themselves. Being able to load a 300hp tune on a stock truck is pretty cool. That is also part of the problem.
As a dealer, I go to many auctions and see all kinds of vehicles with all kinds of miles on them and this ^^^ statement can't be more true.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts