Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Yb word crew
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my house i have a heat pump ac unit. Well i have a propane heater so no need for the heat pump portion of it. Well i had some issues with the heater this winter and had a guy come wire up the heater, but he cut all of the wires for the ac unit. How can i wire the ac unit up so i can have ac again? I really don't want to call the guy back who originally cut the wires out. Thank you

·
Gettin' tired of the shit
23,424 Posts
Jim that is very confusing, are you talking about control wiring or power wiring ? :rolleyes:

You need to have someone that knows how to wire the low voltage/control wiring side of the system and let them look at it. I don't think you're going to be able to have that explained to you over the interwebs.

·
Yb word crew
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i was talking with a friend over the past two days and it seems as though i need to energize the reversing valve to get it on cool mode. But with me following all the schematics it seems as though who ever wired my system after the installation of the propane heater did wire it color coded. can i just wire the reversing valve to my 24v supply? when i wired it to the y terminal it blew the fuse on my circuit board.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
if i am unnderstanding u right there is only 3 wires going from the braker box to the ac unit and 2 low voltage wires that go to the ac unit for the t-stat to turn on the ac.if it is the wire inside the ac unit it will be to tuff to explain.let me know if i can help.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
I leave that kind of stuff for professionals. After i welded a screwdriver to my hot water heater i realized i'm a mechanic not an electrician.

·
Yb word crew
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I'll give you everything I got going on. Lol. On my tstat I have blue going to the c terminal, white going to w, yellow going to y, red going to rh and green going to g. Same on heater. Now the wiring going to my ac unit goes as follows. Blue goes to r, green goes to y2, red goes to y1, yellow goes to x, orange goes to w1, black goes to o, brown goes to l and white goes to a. Now looking at the schematics for my ac unit the following wires going into the unit power the following items. Yellow goes to the reversing valve, blue goes to 24v power, green goes to aux heat1, red goes to aux heat2/cool2, orange goes to cool1/heat1, black goes to L, brown goes to a and white is my common. Now when I hook up the blue to power, my red to the y terminal the ac unit will run as a heat pump. I want to just use it as an ac unit. I was thinking I could just run the blue and yellow to the 24v power and the red to the y terminal and it should work that way. Just wanted to make sure before I do it. Thank you

·
23,424 Posts
Jim, you'd be nice and cool right now if you would have just called someone the other day. ;)

·
Yb word crew
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol. House isn't that hot right now. I just can't see paying a couple hundred for someone to hook up a few wires. Lol.

·
23,424 Posts
Just remember if you fuck it up it'll cost alot more than that. ;)

You don't know an HVAC guy that can come over ?

·
Yb word crew
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy who came out to wire the heater cut all the wires to start over and just wired the heater. Told me to call him in the spring to wire the ac. Now he wants a couple hundred to wire the ac.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
In my house i have a heat pump ac unit. Well i have a propane heater so no need for the heat pump portion of it. Well i had some issues with the heater this winter and had a guy come wire up the heater, but he cut all of the wires for the ac unit. How can i wire the ac unit up so i can have ac again? I really don't want to call the guy back who originally cut the wires out. Thank you
Where the hell are you at, I've been running the AC for 5 months.

·
Yb word crew
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol. In south jersey

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
You need two wires only to the outdoor unit if used for a/c only. Run the Y terminal from the stat to one side of the contactor on the outdoor unit. Also hook one side of the reversing valve on the same side of the contactor. The other side of the contactor hooks to the other wire and run it back to common on the furnace. Seems to be the blue wire. Make sure you use the 24v connections on the contactor. It will be on the sides with small wires going to it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
From what u list above, u will need to energize y1,y2, and the reversing valve (which should be o) coming from the condenser
Y1 n y2 will need to be energized together along with o you can take all three n tie them into y1 inside the heater as it don't sound like your stat has ability to control a two speed condenser, you will also need a common from outside unit to the heater common to complete the circuit, also located in south jersey. Hope I made enough sense for ya

·
Yb word crew
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have my common and y1 and y2 hooked up. When I hooked my reversing valve up to the y terminal it blew the fuse. So I put it to my 24v terminal and turned it on and it still ran in heat pump mode.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I don't understand why Someone who is in the business would disconnect your heat pump. There are thermostats that make it so easy to run a heat pump and gas furnace as a hybrid system just seems crazy they didn't do that. Whoever installed your furnace should fix the wiring at no charge. If you have a Ruud or Rheem heat pump some of those energize the reversing valve in the heating mode not cooling. Be careful, if you keep blowing the control fuse you can end up burning out the circuit board !!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts