Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I first did my hotside I thought I knew what I was doing.. Now after getting it together, running and making a few passes and a few hundred miles on the street I'm thinking I built the hotside to large. I used 3 inch. NOW Im reading more and more and thinking I should have used 2.5 or maybe even 2.25 for the hotside..

347, twisted wedge heads, victor intake, c4, 3800 convertor, brake, 3.31 gears, 275 pro's... Runs great on the street honestly but its a little lazier at the track than I think it should be.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, cross over is all 3 inch, and down pipe is also 3 inch.

Forgot to mention its a q trim Master Power 76mm single setup. 38mm gate, 50mm bov

·
Registered
98 Posts
the crossover size is ok. id prolly step the DP up to 4" with a spun style reducer if the exhaust housing has a 3" exit

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
T4 or T6 flange? 2 1/4 hot side (into a 3 1/2 merge on T4, or all the way on a t6) and 4" DP for as long as you can.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Brad, I ran 3' all the way on mine....but I've got 200 cubes and 30% more fuel too....

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
What size is the turbine outlet on that thing, Brad? I think you could definitely benefit from a smaller hotside. We're doing Tim's with a 2.5" crossover (probably could do 2.25") and a 5" DP. This is a 408" combo with a S480, 96mm turbine and a 1.58 a/r hot side.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
hell a 2 inch hotside could flow more exhaust than the master power turbine side can handle.... 3 inch crossover is for sure too big.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't know if anyone has tested but I doubt the tubing size is going to make a big difference. Wrapping the pipe might combat some of the heat loss that a smaller pipe would gain you. Usually the biggest thing I look out for in a turbo kit are smooth transitions and piping large enough to cover the exhaust port on the heads.

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
I don't know if anyone has tested but I doubt the tubing size is going to make a big difference. Wrapping the pipe might combat some of the heat loss that a smaller pipe would gain you. Usually the biggest thing I look out for in a turbo kit are smooth transitions and piping large enough to cover the exhaust port on the heads.
Been tested, and proven out the ying yang.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Keep it simple, smash the crossover on a press, record results at the track. I questioned a 2.5" crossover once when I saw it.. I then heard the 370" combo made 1500+hp and ran mid 7's.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here are some real world experiences of mine, first I had a 3" crossover to a t4 1.26a/r s475 with the 83/74 turbine on 11psi I ran a 9.57 on 93 Oct. After that combo I kept everything engine wise the same just changed to the s480 t6 1.32a/r with the 96/87 turbine and a 2.25" crossover and race ruel on 18psi I ran a 9.0....so dont sweat the crossover. My 3" crossover t4 setup still spoiled faster too...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Need to get after the tune up. Next time you go to Dorchester lmk im pretty decent with the squirt and i know my 306ci motor would light off a s480 no problem

1 - 20 of 22 Posts