Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
www.PelechBrosRacing.com
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is done.

The NHRA has DEFINITELY been sold to O. Bruton Smith.

The formal announcement will be made with much fan-fare at the Charlotte NHRA Event in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Assuming this is true, the future of Drag racing just got brighter. Lets just hope that Bruton can embrace the Outlaw style events and not just NHRA.

·
Registered
80 Posts
#317 on the Forbes 400 List
O Bruton Smith
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/54/richlist07_O-Bruton-Smith_HU32.html

Net Worth $1.5 billion
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Source Speedway Motorsports, Inc. (quote: TRK), Service, Self made

Age 80
Marital Status Divorced, 4 children, 1 divorce

Hometown Charlotte, NC, United States
Education

Stock car maven attended first auto race at age 8; promoted events on dirt track in Midland, N.C. as a teen. Opened Charlotte Motor Speedway 1960. Founded Speedway Motorsports, took public 1995. Now controls 6 Nascar racetracks, stake worth $1 billion. Still works out of a modest sales office on the showroom floor of one of his 175 car dealerships; uses a fleet of 4 jets to watch races across the globe. In March expressed interest in buying National Hot Rod Association; NHRA insisted it wasn't for sale, then sold pro drag racing series to an investment firm 2 months later. Ridiculous compensation: Speedway granted Smith a $1.5 million bonus in part for repaying the millions of dollars in loans he owed the company.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hope this is true. Maybe the worst run track in the United States, ORP in Indy, will finally be ran like a real freaking Drag Strip should. The only time it's remotely even recognized as a Drag Strip is the 2 weeks a year the US Nationals rolls into town. The rest of the time us lowly brackets racers get shit on. I'd just love to hear one time, that ORP place really hooks and they know how to treat their customers. I'll believe it when I see it though, there have been rumors for 20+ years and nothing EVER happens.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I might have to retract the negative NHRA comment I just placed on the Indy Rants thread!

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
What does one have to do with the other?
Not sure exactly what your getting at?

If he owns the NHRA and also owns a bunch of the tracks hopefully he doesnt try to make those tracks NHRA exclusive. Whether it be NHRA Pro or Sportsman classes. Big time Outlaw racing is somewhat a competitor to the NHRA. Not to mention ADRL. Does the ADRL race at any of Brutons tracks?

On a side note, the guy is 80 years old. What happens when he dies? Will the next person have the passion that he seems to have or will they just turn around and sell it again.

·
Pro Mod Professor
6,846 Posts

If he owns the NHRA and also owns a bunch of the tracks hopefully he doesnt try to make those tracks NHRA exclusive. Whether it be NHRA Pro or Sportsman classes. Big time Outlaw racing is somewhat a competitor to the NHRA. Not to mention ADRL. Does the ADRL race at any of Brutons tracks?

On a side note, the guy is 80 years old. What happens when he dies? Will the next person have the passion that he seems to have or will they just turn around and sell it again.
I know his son is always with him and strongly in his business so i'm sure when he dies he'll take over.

·
Registered
21,313 Posts

Oh ok, didn't understand your comment. I doubt there will be a conflict between NHRA and other drag racing.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
IMO nothing can make the NHRA worse but I also agree that I hope no conflict exists between NHRA and other forms of racing. Also it would be nice to see some of the bias toward pro mod decreased.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I hope this is true. Maybe the worst run track in the United States, ORP in Indy, will finally be ran like a real freaking Drag Strip should.
NHRA owns ORP/Indy, National Trail/Columbus, Gainsville, and Atlanta Dragway (Commerce, GA). Combine those with Atlanta (Motor Speedway), Bristol, Infineon, Las Vegas, Lowes/ZMax (Charlotte), Texas Motor Speedway, and New Hampshire that Bruton/SMI alreday own.

I don't see two Atlanta tracks retaining National Event status? I think the combination of Charlotte (possible headquarters) and Atlanta give the NHRA a presence in the IHRA dominated South East that could stir things up.

Bruton's son is already Chief Operating Officer at SMI, so I think the empire is going to stay safely inside the family.

The 2008 ADRL schedule didn't include any NHRA-owned or SMI-owned tracks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I hope he dumps ESPN and hooks up with Speed Channel. Be nice to see race coverage start on time. Would also be nice to see complete Indy qualifying in one day and the finals the next. This 1 hour here 3 hours there s**t don't get it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I think it will be good for NHRA. Smith knows how to promote!

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
I hope he dumps ESPN and hooks up with Speed Channel. Be nice to see race coverage start on time. Would also be nice to see complete Indy qualifying in one day and the finals the next. This 1 hour here 3 hours there s**t don't get it.

No he's wants LIVE Worldwide coverage :-D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts