Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this old dragster frame because it was cool, but I never dreamed I would find its history. This thing only raced for a few years, and was a pretty innovative car, using PBY frame rails (4130 streamlined tubing), a brand new Lincoln 430ci engine, and a few different blower and fuel injection configurations. It was owned and run by Tets Ishimaru from Los Angeles, and somehow this thing ended up in Tennessee years after it retired from racing. Here's a video I put together of the car's history...

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Hearing of that clusterfuck of 2V carbs always brings me a smile. BTW: I didn't ever catch your mentioning an ET & Speed, did you ever find out?

Using that PBY aircraft wing-strut tubing for the frame rails is really cool. Obviously as wing struts, the oval shape intended to slip easier through the air than simple round tubing. Would be fascinating to see the deflection figures between the round and oval'd tubing. The original builder must have had a huge 'in' at an aircraft manufacturer. Search showed at one time their were five plants building PBYs.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Cool story, great job doing the research. I would love to help restore it. I can oxyacetylene weld with the best of them.......

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
So cool! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
Old skool kewl.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hearing of that clusterfuck of 2V carbs always brings me a smile. BTW: I didn't ever catch your mentioning an ET & Speed, did you ever find out?

Using that PBY aircraft wing-strut tubing for the frame rails is really cool. Obviously as wing struts, the oval shape intended to slip easier through the air than simple round tubing. Would be fascinating to see the deflection figures between the round and oval'd tubing. The original builder must have had a huge 'in' at an aircraft manufacturer. Search showed at one time their were five plants building PBYs.

View attachment 114836
I never found many mentions of E.T. and speeds. I did find a few newspaper clippings from its early setups...the speeds were not very impressive for the time. But the blown version seemed to keep pace pretty well in the A/Dragster class. I'm guessing somewhere in the 9's at 140 or so, but I don't have any real numbers to back that up.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
That was great! Thanks for sharing. If you need some 430 Lincoln help there is a guy on the Internet that goes by Kulkutz I think and also Royce Belcher and Ted Eaton of Eaton balancing.

Those guys could probably help you with stuff like log manifolds and blower drives etc.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was great! Thanks for sharing. If you need some 430 Lincoln help there is a guy on the Internet that goes by Kulkutz I think and also Royce Belcher and Ted Eaton of Eaton balancing.

Those guys could probably help you with stuff like log manifolds and blower drives etc.
I will definitely look into that, thank you!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I am a subscriber to your channel! :geek:

Thanks for the great content. I love history, and car history makes it just that much better. Best of luck in your adventure!

·
Aviation Section
24,829 Posts
I bought this old dragster frame because it was cool, but I never dreamed I would find its history. This thing only raced for a few years, and was a pretty innovative car, using PBY frame rails (4130 streamlined tubing), a brand new Lincoln 430ci engine, and a few different blower and fuel injection configurations. It was owned and run by Tets Ishimaru from Los Angeles, and somehow this thing ended up in Tennessee years after it retired from racing. Here's a video I put together of the car's history...

Neat! Thanks for that! Dave

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
I will definitely look into that, thank you!
I need to give my response a tune up. First its a guy that goes by the name of Kultulz on the Internet.

Next it was Royce Brechler. A good MEL man and he teamed up with Kaase to put a MEL in the winner’s circle a couple years ago at EMC.

Lastly it’s Ted Eaton at Eaton Balancing in Texas. He’s mostly a Y block guy but he knows everybody and could probably be a big help finding folks that are into these big Lincoln’s.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Being seated with your eyes peering at two smoking slicks glaring in your face has got to be priceless.
Hands down the coolest driver seating location in automotive racing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts