Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VS 4x4 lumber. Hornady 115gr Critical Defense on the left. Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P on the right.

Shots were fired froma bout 10-12 feet, from my Taurus 24/7 Pro, 4" barrel.

Hornady:
The two shots off to the left, exited out the side of the board, even though they entered straight in. The two other shots closer to center, did not exit the board. Back side of the board was not affected at all. The hornadys were not able to penetrate the full width of the board.

Golden Saber 124gr +P:

All four shots close to center, all made nasty exit holes out the back.

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The GS are also heavier and a +p round so it's kinda apples to oranges. Test a 124g +p HST for a closer comparison.

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The GS are also heavier and a +p round so it's kinda apples to oranges. Test a 124g +p HST for a closer comparison.
Umm, yeah, it says that right on the box.;) These are the two defense rounds I had, and just wanted to see the difference on a good size chunk of wood.

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
All quality self-defense will get the job done.

·
Registered
15,378 Posts
You might try shooting something a little more flesh like (ballistic jello/ side of pig) to compare ammo, unless you plan to battle tree people.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Not coming out is better than going thru..

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I carry all kinds of different stuff for personal defense. In my .380 (LCP) I have the Hornady, in my .45 (G30) I have Remington Golden Saber, and in my .40 (G27) I have Winchester personal defense, not sure which ones. The fact is that I am sure they will all do the job if I ever need them.

·
Registered
556 Posts
CORBON is some of the best stuff out there for pistol defense ammo. Hornady is the go to for rifle defense or tactical ammo.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The wood test isn't any good, why? Well, the HP are for (target's that are dress in light weight clothes) where the bullet opens just as pass into the the second layer of flesh "muscle". Target's that wear heavy cold weather gear have that to protect them, Why? because the bullet fills with cloth and DOESN'T expand as designed. The Critical Defense was designed to pass through the thick clothing and the red plastic tip aids in the expansion of the round IN the target. I switch ammo with the seasons and area that I'm in. I do like to use hot reloads with gold dots and Remington half jacket soft nose HPs as a summer load. But fall and winter gets Hornady CD as carry ammo.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not really a relevant test if you are testing them for personal defense. Not many humans have skin that is the same consistancy as board. Typically what you get when you shoot into wood is the holllow point filling with material which will prevent it from opening up. Also you are comparing a +P 124 grain to a 115 standard load. Not to start crap, but the hydra-shok is an old school load that DOES NOT open at all when fired into ballistic gel that is covered with clothing. Winchester came to our range and tested several different companies ammo and the hydra-shok perfomed about like a full metal jacket when fired into gel covered with clothing. The Golden Saber did okay but it separated from the jacket on most of the tests. The Federal HST is alot better than the hydra-shok and overall the best bullet we found was the Winchester Ranger T series. The standard "T" series load performed better than the +P round. Unless you plan on shooting naked people, make sure to shoot at something that is covered with clothing because it has a drastic affect on bullet performance. Chris

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
i have the hornadys in my XDm .45
but like previously stated, any quality defense round will do the job.
hell, im sure the target rounds in a .45 would do the job too lol

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never said, or meant it to be a relevent test. I had these two types of ammo, I had a chunk of wood, I had 20 minutes to kill. I shot the wood, and took a few pictures. Nothing more, nothing less. I have no reason to do a "relevent" test. All defensive rounds have been tested over and over and over. All I need to do is read the test results. And I have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts