Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone try this stuff out for long range yet? Looks pretty sweet if their specs are good.... FGMM is 175 gr @ 2600 FPS with a .492 BC.

Velocity (muzzle): 2,760FPS
Energy (muzzle): 3010 Ft Lbs
BC: .530

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
I'd be curious to see if that BC holds water. At least we know that Sierra's BCs are usually pretty legit.

If all that is legit, that's a 1200-yard .308 round. Granted, you're looking at 13-plus mils of drop out there, but it's still supersonic at 1200 yards at sea level. At 1k you're only looking at 9.6 mils. That's better than a "warm" 175SMK load at 1,000...

Anyway, sounds like a legit 1000-yard contender out of the box. Wonder what their propellant is...

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be curious to see if that BC holds water. At least we know that Sierra's BCs are usually pretty legit.

If all that is legit, that's a 1200-yard .308 round. Granted, you're looking at 13-plus mils of drop out there, but it's still supersonic at 1200 yards at sea level. At 1k you're only looking at 9.6 mils. That's better than a "warm" 175SMK load at 1,000...

Anyway, sounds like a legit 1000-yard contender out of the box. Wonder what their propellant is...
They've been mixing powders to get the extra push from what I understand.....

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
They've been mixing powders to get the extra push from what I understand.....
I wonder what the temperature stability is like. It seems like that might be a picky load.

That's one of the things I like about Varget so much, is that it's pretty damn stable. Where I shoot, it can be anywhere from 40-115 degrees.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Let us know how it works if you try it. I just bought 200 rounds of Federal gold match 168gr hpbt for my new AR-10T.Hope to try it out this weekend.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let us know how it works if you try it. I just bought 200 rounds of Federal gold match 168gr hpbt for my new AR-10T.Hope to try it out this weekend.
I have some on order but not sure when I'll get to try it out.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

the federal is gona shoot good, but try the horaday 168 hpbt match also.
my A10T groups a little better w/ the hornaday than the federal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts