Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been running the 27-10.5.15 Hoosier QTP for 7 years. I am looking for a little consistency and everyone is telling me to try the Mickey Thompson R drag radial (255/60/15). It is a leaf spring car, all Calvert rear components, Viking double adj up front, 3500lbs, c4 w/brake, 3.89 gear, and baby 7" wheels (no room-65 mustang have 8" for radials). Car runs high 9's. Do I make the change? How much "better" are they? Oh- I do drive the car 45mi each way to the track.....

Should I give them a go? Pro/Cons?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I'm in just the opposite boat, run the MT R DR atm. Work great at the track,no so great on the street. I spend 99.9% of the time on the street. Looking to try the QTP,hearing it's much better there.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in just the opposite boat, run the MT R DR atm. Work great at the track,no so great on the street. I spend 99.9% of the time on the street. Looking to try the QTP,hearing it's much better there.
The Hoosier QTP is horrible on the street. They hop until they get warm and a really soft so the wear quickly with street driving. The soft sidewall can cause a little "skating" around as well. Wet? forget about it. They will spin you around in a hurry. They are terrible in the rain. If there is any moisture on the road- you gotta pull over and wait it out.

They do work pretty well at the track however.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The Hoosier QTP is horrible on the street. They hop until they get warm and a really soft so the wear quickly with street driving. The soft sidewall can cause a little "skating" around as well. Wet? forget about it. They will spin you around in a hurry. They are terrible in the rain. If there is any moisture on the road- you gotta pull over and wait it out.

They do work pretty well at the track however.

Wet weather driving isn't a concern for me. I am looking for them to be round and balance out easily and hook better than the MTs.

Don't expect this to be any better in the wet:

I'm on my second set of MT DRs,they wear down pretty quick. Not as quickly as M&H DRs though.

·
Banksters Paradise
7,212 Posts
My QTP's haven't worn down fast on the street. They have lasted longer than i thought they would. I run mine at 16-18psi. Nothing else hooks like a bias slick/QTP on the street. When they get warm enough they can dead hook even on a rough bitumen road. Even when cold i can still WOT from the hit and with some slight spin still move nicely through 1st gear. They can be a bit squirrely when cruising over a bumpy road, but on a smooth road or in a WOT run when they grow my car pulls dead straight all the way through. Feels much safer on the shifts and at speed rather than having hard tires that can lose traction and spin you around.

I don't get any wheel hop whatsoever on any surface. That's a suspension issue. They also hold air very well, i check them before i drive it and they've never lost more than 1psi. Just make sure the wheels are clean and use soap when installing. They will turn on the rim about 0.5"-1" or so when you first run them and then they settle and stay there.

You can also cut some more grooves in them with a tire groover machine so they look more like a street tire. I bought one to do it, but i haven't got around to it. With a tire groover you could use their full slicks also and cut grooves in them.

·
Registered
18,797 Posts
Ive been running the 27-10.5.15 Hoosier QTP for 7 years. I am looking for a little consistency and everyone is telling me to try the Mickey Thompson R drag radial (255/60/15). It is a leaf spring car, all Calvert rear components, Viking double adj up front, 3500lbs, c4 w/brake, 3.89 gear, and baby 7" wheels (no room-65 mustang have 8" for radials). Car runs high 9's. Do I make the change? How much "better" are they? Oh- I do drive the car 45mi each way to the track.....

Should I give them a go? Pro/Cons?
I bought a pair of the MT DR R's in the same size for my Mustang haven't put them on the car yet we had about 5 inches of snow last Saturday maybe by spring i'll have them on the car!! :) if you put them on your car reply back to this thread and let us know how they worked out for you.Thanks!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Might look at the MT ET Street R Bias DOT tire. I run them on my street/strip car. Work very well on/off track. DOT stamped as well. Same exact compound as the slick.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So went to the track last night after making the switch to the 255/60/15 Mickey Thompson R radial from the 27/10.5/15 Hoosier QTP. The car spun on the motor but dead hooked leaving on the nitrous with the progressive set to 25% (both off trans brake). It went from a best 1.44 60ft to a new best of 1.35 then a 1.37 and 2- 1.41's. Running them at 18psi on a 8" wheel.
Viking front DA shocks (AD valving) set to 6R-13C, rear Calvert shocks set to 2 (car has Caltrac bars w/split mono leafs)

Id say they work!

·
Registered
18,797 Posts
So went to the track last night after making the switch to the 255/60/15 Mickey Thompson R radial from the 27/10.5/15 Hoosier QTP. The car spun on the motor but dead hooked leaving on the nitrous with the progressive set to 25% (both off trans brake). It went from a best 1.44 60ft to a new best of 1.35 then a 1.37 and 2- 1.41's. Running them at 18psi on a 8" wheel.
Viking front DA shocks (AD valving) set to 6R-13C, rear Calvert shocks set to 2 (car has Caltrac bars w/split mono leafs)

Id say they work!
Thanks for the info i bought those tires for my 89 Mustang 466 BBF,C-4 and 3.73 gears,haven't put them on the car yet Snowing here in Ohio!!Hopefully they'll work good for me if i ever get the car to the track!!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
RltrBill said:

Id say they work!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
My QTP's haven't worn down fast on the street. They have lasted longer than i thought they would. I run mine at 16-18psi. Nothing else hooks like a bias slick/QTP on the street. When they get warm enough they can dead hook even on a rough bitumen road. Even when cold i can still WOT from the hit and with some slight spin still move nicely through 1st gear. They can be a bit squirrely when cruising over a bumpy road, but on a smooth road or in a WOT run when they grow my car pulls dead straight all the way through. Feels much safer on the shifts and at speed rather than having hard tires that can lose traction and spin you around.

I don't get any wheel hop whatsoever on any surface. That's a suspension issue. They also hold air very well, i check them before i drive it and they've never lost more than 1psi. Just make sure the wheels are clean and use soap when installing. They will turn on the rim about 0.5"-1" or so when you first run them and then they settle and stay there.

You can also cut some more grooves in them with a tire groover machine so they look more like a street tire. I bought one to do it, but i haven't got around to it. With a tire groover you could use their full slicks also and cut grooves in them.

Confirmed this ^ today. Switched from an MT 295 ET Street R DR to a Hoosier 31x13.5 QTP. No comparison, the QTP is much better than the DR on the STREET.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Any other input on best 275 drag radial for use on the street? Turbo LS making 1200rwhp with manual transmission 3100lbs with driver.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts