Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ET Drags that I use for the T-bird are just about done. I was going to purchase another set but a buddy says I should run the QTP's instead.
I run 28x10.5 ET Drags with a 4.10 gear. Trans is a braked C4 with an 8" 5500 converter. Best 60' with the slicks has been 1.46 with a [email protected] 130. The bird is 3450lbs with me in it and I wonder if the stiffer sidewall of the Hoosiers would help or hurt the 60'.
I also have been running stock struts and shocks but just installed some 90/10 struts last weekend to help with weight transfer.
The car is also driven on the street on weekends and such but I switch to another set of rear wheels with Nitto DR's for that.
Anyone make the switch with good, bad or pretty much the same results?

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,925 Posts
Never ran the MT's, but I would swap between Hoosier 30x10.5 slicks and a similar size Hoosier QTP (29.5 x 11.5 or so?) and I could go mid 1.2x 60ft's with either, 20 psi on a 15x10 wheel.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
i like that stiff side mickey

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
QTP's are a DOT tire, right? Why not run a Hoosier slick instead of the QTP? Or are the Quicktimes pretty comparable to an ET drag?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
QTP's are soft compound dot slicks, I bought them because they come in the size I wanted(27x11.5) that aren't available in the full slick. I'm happy with them.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Hoosier makes a stiff sidewall slick in that size as well. QTP is a bias ply DOT tire.
I realize the QTP is DOT tire, but are they comparable in performance to an E/T drag? Reason I ask is MT's DOT bias ply tire is the E/T street, and I hear many say that they don't compare to a true slick...Just wondering how the Hoosier stacks up

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I realize the QTP is DOT tire, but are they comparable in performance to an E/T drag? Reason I ask is MT's DOT bias ply tire is the E/T street, and I hear many say that they don't compare to a true slick...Just wondering how the Hoosier stacks up
The Hoosier QTP is a better tire than the M/T et street. The QTP would probably be comparable to a M/T slick if the slick has a standard sidewall but it wont hang with a stiff wall Mickey.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
The Hoosier QTP is a better tire than the M/T et street. The QTP would probably be comparable to a M/T slick if the slick has a standard sidewall but it wont hang with a stiff wall Mickey.
I agree with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When I was running stock multi-leafs and slapper bars the QTPs were the only tire I could find to hook the car. I run a 29x14.5 on a 10'' wheel with tubes at 17-18 psi. Best 60' was 1.37 with the slapper bars. They have a very flexable sidewall even with the tubes. Now that Ive upgraded to monos, caltracs, and good shocks, the QTPs are really too soft AT THE TRACK. It wads them up bad and is hard to get up on the tire. I need to go to a stiff slick or radial. But on the street, they are perfect. I can leave off the trans brake and only track (printing not spinning) about 20' out. Thats with a 5800 convertor. I wish they made the same exact tire but with a stiff sidewall. They may do better on a 12'' wheel though ?????

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was under the impression that the QTP had a stiffer sidewall than a MT slick due to the DOT rating?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts

My et street tire 60' a 1.20 time at the age of 5yrs old and ran a [email protected] next i want to try a qtp

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
I was under the impression that the QTP had a stiffer sidewall than a MT slick due to the DOT rating?
Pretty much any slick/dot slick produced has a stiffer sidewall than mt's. Always loved hoosier slicks and qtps. Ran them exclusively on the firebird for yrs street and bracket racing every weekend. I gave mt slicks a try, ran two sets of them back to back for an honest shot. They proved to be a very inconsistant tire, and playing a game where every .00x counts and MOV were .000x i was done with them and never went back....plus got tired of flat tires all the time, never had that issue with the dozens of sets of hoosiers i ran.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts