Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is sponsored by m/t but i got a set of the hoosier drag radials... they have a d.o.t # but say "for competition use only not for highway use" since they have a d.o.t # doesnt that mean they are street legal? is this just a recommendation or?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Short version. They are a drag tire and should be treated as such. While they are "street legal", they won't provide any kind of wet traction and will wear quickly with street use.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not worried about wet traction and or wear... just need to know if they are legal for state inspection. i have a PA state inspection license myself and dont know whether or not i myself would pass them... but i dont work at an inspection shop anymore and dont want anyone to give me a hard time over them...i know that all tires must be DOT approved but it also says in the inspection manual that tires cannot be marked "for competition use or not for highway use" but it has the wear bars in the grooves and does have the DOT #.

I drive it to the track and dont want to have to change tires and do not want to have to deal with cops having a reason to cite me... because if they start looking hard enough that wont be the only thing they will cite me for (no converters, no emissions, window tint, no defoggers) and i havent had any trouble and dont want any now

·
Registered
203 Posts
According to the Hoosier site they are not legal for road use! I have run them before and as you stated, the ones that I have used are stamped "not for highway use"

NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE: All Hoosier Racing Tires including DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires are designed for racing purposes only on specified racing surfaces and are not to be operated on public roadways. DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department Of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death.

I understand about the wet weather but Hoosiers are the only ones that have it stamped on them. Goodyears, MT's and Nittos are all DOT approved and can be used on the street.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
According to the Hoosier site they are not legal for road use! I have run them before and as you stated, the ones that I have used are stamped "not for highway use"

NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE: All Hoosier Racing Tires including DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires are designed for racing purposes only on specified racing surfaces and are not to be operated on public roadways. DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department Of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death.

I understand about the wet weather but Hoosiers are the only ones that have it stamped on them. Goodyears, MT's and Nittos are all DOT approved and can be used on the street.

Goodyears say "Drag Race Only" right on the side of the tire. Which I guess is their way of saying "Not Intended for Highway Use".

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I got caught with some E.T Fronts on the street. It pissed the cops off and they "lectured" me on all the tickets I could get but they didn't write me up. Depends on the officer and state I'd imagine. As far as safety goes, just be careful and know your driving on a tire that sucks when it's cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts