Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6" lift off hood im putting back on my car. I had hood pins just in the corners 15 years ago and it want to lift up in the center. What fasteners are out there now? whats the fast good quality stuff? Ive been out the racing game for a while. need some input on keeping this thing down. I have a race at the end of July im trying to get it ready.

·
Registered
16,220 Posts
on my 2nd gen I have pins on the 4 corners plus one in the middle on both sides and one front center in front of core support.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
My buddy took off his straight blade Dzus fasteners and installed ones with hex head for Allen wrench. Don't hold it down any better but has positive engagement, so blade does not slip off and scratch the paint. Thought you might want to check them out.

·
A Senior Member
3,101 Posts
I am still partial too hood pins.

When you need to get it off, there is no looking for a tool.

Reactions: luckythirteen13

·
T/S 368E
28,312 Posts

Hood pins don't work for racecars.
It would look pretty goofy having 16 hood pins to keep the hood on at 160-170+ MPH.

That's a nice looking car, use some kind of 1/4 turn flush mount and buy extra tools just in case.

Good luck.

·
A Senior Member
3,101 Posts
Well they work fine for me at 143 on a street car!

Oh and it's a VFN lift off.

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
This is the set up I currently use on my race car,works well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mrdragster1970
I agree, a bunch of hood pins would look like I went load up my race car stuff from Pep Boys! Thanks for the comments on my car. Its a z28 car not cut up. just stuff removed lol. Easily can go back to original street trim. I can't cut up a nice car.

Mark D. I was just looking at those from motion race works.

Thanks for all the recommendations I like the idea with the allen wrench ones but if I get in a bind I dont want people scrambling to find special tools either

·
Registered
16,220 Posts

Hood pins don't work for racecars.
It would look pretty goofy having 16 hood pins to keep the hood on at 160-170+ MPH.

That's a nice looking car, use some kind of 1/4 turn flush mount and buy extra tools just in case.

Good luck.

asking for a friend. How many passes did you make last year ?

·
T/S 368E
28,312 Posts

That's what's nice about a plain old dzuz.
Anything will work in an emergency, quarter, screwdriver etc etc.
If you have a gorilla fingers friend, keep him away from the damn hood!!!

Trust me, a 2nd gen needs 14-16 contact points so I would definitely want something low profile.
To each their own, but old school pins were great when we still had steel hoods, that's been decades thou.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
My second gen has 2 pins in valley of hood, it's a hinged hood though. Been 130 that way.
Those butterfly dzus fasteners are pretty nice.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I have four of these....one in each corner. They were given to me by my chassis guy. Been 150 so far no problems.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Extend it up to just below the scoop. Make a plate that will thread on the stud and mount a Dzus fastener to that. 2 carbs, 2 studs, 2 dzus fasteners. Works for a cowl hoods too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Extend it up to just below the scoop. Make a plate that will thread on the stud and mount a Dzus fastener to that. 2 carbs, 2 studs, 2 dzus fasteners. Works for a cowl hoods too.
good idea (y)

I have four of these....one in each corner. They were given to me by my chassis guy. Been 150 so far no problems.

those look nice (y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts