Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I remember a company making them for Honda's. I dont know if they still make them but many cars had the Carbon roofs blow off...

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first one we do is going on the Speed Factory Competition Clutch SFWD Outlaw car, so with a top speed of 200MPH, it'll get tested. I'm designing it to not just replace the skin, but also bond where the drip rails run and tuck all the way under the front glass and under the hatch. This piece will stay in place. And based off of all the other import parts that I see that claim to be carbon, but are actually just a thin veneer of carbon over a weak fiberglass structure, blowing off wouldn't surprise me. All those import parts currently on the market are complete crap.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
how much weight can be saved ? is it even worth it or is this one of those "yah its got a carbon fiber roof" thing ?
They're planning on covering it with a vinyl wrap, so it definitely isn't a "blingy, cool-factor" deal.

The roof itself is pretty thin gauge material. But we'll be building the panel like we build a hood, so it'll have a core material and a lot of rigidity. They plan to remove all the roof bows, and they claim that the skin plus the bows is around 25-30 pounds. Our finished carbon piece will probably be around 9-10 pounds, I'm guessing. That's pretty good weight savings, bang for the buck, on a car that weighs 2200-ish pounds.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
They're planning on covering it with a vinyl wrap, so it definitely isn't a "blingy, cool-factor" deal.

The roof itself is pretty thin gauge material. But we'll be building the panel like we build a hood, so it'll have a core material and a lot of rigidity. They plan to remove all the roof bows, and they claim that the skin plus the bows is around 25-30 pounds. Our finished carbon piece will probably be around 9-10 pounds, I'm guessing. That's pretty good weight savings, bang for the buck, on a car that weighs 2200-ish pounds.
Not bad then, well worth it.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Completely finished underside. I'll post pics of the completely finished top side as soon as the customer has a chance to see it first.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roof stripped off. Final weight was 25 pounds. That's a savings of 15 pounds with the carbon roof weighing 10 pounds.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Clamped up. We used almost an entire 400ml tube of two-part epoxy for bonding, so this roof isn't going anywhere!

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And......done!! Ready for the new vinyl wrap!! Now they just need to put the new Ultra-Carbon seat and front bumper we did on the car!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.