Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do u guys think that this would be a good choice 4 my first bike. I have rode dirt bikes honda 125 . what do u guys think

·
Registered
552 Posts
What kind of bike do you really want?
I used to ride dirt bikes in the Mojave desert, when I wanted a street bike, 30 years later, I bought a Harley Davidson Wide Glide.

You can spend a lot of money working your way up to what you want or just get it and ride it.

The key to street riding is defensive driving and keeping your eyes on the other drivers, IMHO, so get what you want, ride it safely and have fun.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Yep its a good first bike. It handles well and it will be cheap to fix after you drop it!:p

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of bike do you really want?
I used to ride dirt bikes in the Mojave desert, when I wanted a street bike, 30 years later, I bought a Harley Davidson Wide Glide.

You can spend a lot of money working your way up to what you want or just get it and ride it.

The key to street riding is defensive driving and keeping your eyes on the other drivers, IMHO, so get what you want, ride it safely and have fun.
I really want a cbr1000

·
Registered
334 Posts
by a 1000 you will get tired of a 600 . my first bike was a 750 sold it 2 weeks later and bought a1100 and a few months later made it a1425. just because it a bigger bike dont mean you have to use it all.

·
Registered
334 Posts
what ever you by put some frame sliders on it just incase you drop it. you will be glad you did .

·
Slow street car
1,666 Posts
my 1st bike was a cbr 600 it was a good 1st bike the 1000 has alot more power i had to sell mine because i rode it to crazy but here is what i have worked up to...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
buy the one you want now. a bike will be like a race car if you start with one thats not what you really dont want but can get cheap you will always be trying to step up

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
by a 1000 you will get tired of a 600 . my first bike was a 750 sold it 2 weeks later and bought a1100 and a few months later made it a1425. just because it a bigger bike dont mean you have to use it all.
Yeah, I said the same thing back in 1992...

Bought a used 88' ZX-10.

Same day I bought it, wrecked it, broke my back, all of my ribs on the right side, bruised my heart, 12 stitches in my chin, broke my left big toe, sprained all the joints from hip down. Major concussion, and was told by the ER Docs in front of my parents that I wouldn't live through the night.

Here we are, 16 yrs later, and I now suffer from severe arthritis, have headaches that nothing can fix regularly, and have a spine deformation that hurts all the time.

I didn't mean to 'use it' all either. Somehow it just happened.

I'm glad to be alive, and even happier to be walking.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I didn't mean to 'use it' all either. Somehow it just happened.
Exactly.

A friend of mine was a saleman at a kawi dealership. About 2 years ago a guy in his mid 20s came in to buy his first bike. His wife drove him to the dealership and he was going to ride the new bike home. My buddy rides a 636 and was trying to talk the guy into one, but he was dead set on getting a new ZX-10. The guy bought the bike and started out the driveway. Since it was the first '06 ZX-10 they had sold, my buddy was watching him pull away. He leaves the stop sign at the end of the driveway, and rolls a little too hard on the throttle as he pulls into traffic. The front end came up and drifted the bike over into oncoming traffic, head on into a car. The guy laid dead on the road with his fiance and baby sitting at the stop sign behind him.

Anyone that says they got bored with a 600 is just a squid (you will soon know what that means). I know dozens of guys that ride, and only a couple can ride a 600 to its full potential. As for acceleration, 0-120 is the same on a 600 as it is a 1000. If you plan to routinetly ride faster than that, then a 1000 will definetly shine for power.

There are HUGE differences in 600s and 1000s though in terms of how they handle. My last bike was an '04 1000RR. I let a friend ride it who is a motorcycle mechanic and has been riding for years (but hadn't rode any newer liter bikes). He will be the first to tell you that cornering on my bike was totally different than a 600. If you lift at all on a liter while in a turn, the decellerating rotating mass of the bigger engine will force the bike to stand straight back up. He was riding it one day and had to lift to avoid something in a turn. The bike stood back up and he almost went off the far side of the road.

After years on a 600, I thought I needed a liter. I ride hard, and found that the liter was a lot less forgiving for my riding style. That along with the fact that it seemed every motherfucker on the road was trying to run my ass over was the reason for getting rid of it.

Remember, a new 600 makes more power than any of the liter bikes did in 00-01.

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
VERY good point. I used to ride an old 500 interceptor & would almost keep up with my buddies on 600's & 750's (they would pull me in the straights), but I rode the crap out of it in the corners. not saying that they could not ride, just that they are all REAL close up to break neck speeds.

Ive got a 781 CI bike now & love it. its light enough to flick around but has more than enough torque to tug my Phat azz around. ironically, it has 100 HP, the same amount of HP that the CBR 600's had 10 years ago. interesting is all.

Bob

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Then maybe you dont need a bike. Save the all the clams for the coming economy crash.
Your a phucking moron. ;)

Because he doesn't have 15-20,000 to spend on a phucking Harley he should shit can the whole idea of buying a bike and enjoy some riding pleasure. and some fuel milage in this day of high gas prices. :rolleyes:

Brokeass - If your into sportbikes, go buy your self a used crotch rocket for 3-5000 you can get your self a really nice used bike.

While your crotch rocket is paid off, with cheap resonable insurance and you have put 100,000 touble free miles on your bike and excellerating past phucking harley with a quarter of the throttle with ease you will be miles ahead in investment, ridability and enjoyment and you will have a good expeience and actually continue to own an enjoy a bike and not become a "fad" that most harley guys fall into and sell it after a season or two.

Just be really careful at 29 you are probably past the really stupid stage. These bikes are fucking fast and dangerous get some respect before you get stupid on it. Most of all learn where you can ride stupid and where you can't. Because the excellertaion is hard to resist they are very fun.

Or......

You can buy a phucking Harley for 15-20,000 and bring it home and spend another $3000 plus in bolt on parts trying to make it look and sound different than all your other harley rider friends.

After a year you can spend another $3000 on engine modifications to boost the measley 75 hp ( twice the size but half the power of your bike) and avoid any warranty you may have. So it is not such a over cammmed non excellarating loud pos.

In between time you can spend your free time wrenching and locknutting and useing locktite on every phucking bolt on the bike so you can have a reasonable afternoon ride without something falling off your bike and your girlfriend being the scout for parts falling off. The "tap on the shoulder" is usually a fallen part.

When you stop and get gas do a walk around and look for loose bolts and try to figure out where the rattle is that your heard but don't know where it is at. Walk up front an make sure the Rectifier plug is tight and not un pluged so your bike will start again. And if not your girlfriend can look stupid standing in the parking lot while you and your buddies push start your 25,000 bike.

If you want to experiene the "heritage" of the USA made bike and get a full understanding...buy a Harley........it's cool :confused:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exactly.

A friend of mine was a saleman at a kawi dealership. About 2 years ago a guy in his mid 20s came in to buy his first bike. His wife drove him to the dealership and he was going to ride the new bike home. My buddy rides a 636 and was trying to talk the guy into one, but he was dead set on getting a new ZX-10. The guy bought the bike and started out the driveway. Since it was the first '06 ZX-10 they had sold, my buddy was watching him pull away. He leaves the stop sign at the end of the driveway, and rolls a little too hard on the throttle as he pulls into traffic. The front end came up and drifted the bike over into oncoming traffic, head on into a car. The guy laid dead on the road with his fiance and baby sitting at the stop sign behind him.

Anyone that says they got bored with a 600 is just a squid (you will soon know what that means). I know dozens of guys that ride, and only a couple can ride a 600 to its full potential. As for acceleration, 0-120 is the same on a 600 as it is a 1000. If you plan to routinetly ride faster than that, then a 1000 will definetly shine for power.

There are HUGE differences in 600s and 1000s though in terms of how they handle. My last bike was an '04 1000RR. I let a friend ride it who is a motorcycle mechanic and has been riding for years (but hadn't rode any newer liter bikes). He will be the first to tell you that cornering on my bike was totally different than a 600. If you lift at all on a liter while in a turn, the decellerating rotating mass of the bigger engine will force the bike to stand straight back up. He was riding it one day and had to lift to avoid something in a turn. The bike stood back up and he almost went off the far side of the road.

After years on a 600, I thought I needed a liter. I ride hard, and found that the liter was a lot less forgiving for my riding style. That along with the fact that it seemed every motherfucker on the road was trying to run my ass over was the reason for getting rid of it.

thanks for that story i think that might help me wit my decision

1 - 20 of 53 Posts