Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make their own brats? A guy on here (uf63) sent me some spices a couple years ago and I made some homemade brats. They turned out awesome. I know there are probably 50 different style brats, so I’m not sure what exactly to call it. I want to guess they were “Wisconsin” style brats. They had almost a sweet flavor to them (as opposed to my homemade deer sausage that is more hot/spicy)

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found this on the internet:

• 4 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes and stored in the freezer for 30 minutes
  • 1 pound Pork back fat, chopped and stored in the freezer for 30 minutes
  • 3 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground marjoram
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried ginger

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Everything else looks ok just, 3 Tbsp salt for 3 pounds of meat. Thats a lot of salt, usually the mix is 1 tbs for 2.2 pounds. Sure it's not 3 tsp of salt? Cut that to 1.5 tbs and it should be good.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything else looks ok just, 3 Tbsp salt for 3 pounds of meat. Thats a lot of salt, usually the mix is 1 tbs for 2.2 pounds. Sure it's not 3 tsp of salt? Cut that to 1.5 tbs and it should be good.
thanks. I agree the salt seems a little high, but it is actually for 5 lbs of meat/fat.

I make A LOT of homemade sausage, so I can figure it out.... ,but I need to know the starting recipe. Nutmeg and ginger are almost nonexistent to me..

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
thanks. I agree the salt seems a little high, but it is actually for 5 lbs of meat/fat.

I make A LOT of homemade sausage, so I can figure it out.... ,but I need to know the starting recipe. Nutmeg and ginger are almost nonexistent to me..
I just notice it was for 5 lbs, too bad about not getting nutmeg and ginger, that pretty much makes the recipe. Have you tried these guys?

http://www.sausagemaker.com/spicesa-z.aspx

They have all that stuff, great place. I get some spices from them and I'm in Canada. Should be nothing for you to get it.

Corey

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just notice it was for 5 lbs, too bad about not getting nutmeg and ginger, that pretty much makes the recipe. Have you tried these guys?

Corey

I guess I worded it wrong. I can get the spices, but I am not real familiar with them (the taste).

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I guess I worded it wrong. I can get the spices, but I am not real familiar with them (the taste).
I see, nutmeg and ginger are a bit sweet, ginger can be a little over powering but in the correct amounts makes a great flavour in a fresh sausage. Just make a small batch and fry up testers as you go untill you find a nice balance

·
Registered
18 Posts

• 4 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes and stored in the freezer for 30 minutes
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander

Thanks for this recipe..

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for this recipe..

CAUTION: I have not made it yet. I found it on the interwebs. I may try a small batch to see if it is what I'm hoping for.

I grilled some of that bratwurst again last night and it reminded me how good it is. Damn, I wish i had the recipe and not just a seasoning pack.

I got to find me a good recipe.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I bought some store made "beer brats" and grilled them up last night. They taste almost exactly like the ones I made (Actually, I think mine taste better). So I guess I should be asking for a beer brat recipe?

What exactly makes a brat a "beer" brat?

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, by the way.. The brats I made did not include any eggs, or creme, or anything like that. Just meat and the seasoning package.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Does anyone make their own brats? A guy on here (uf63) sent me some spices a couple years ago and I made some homemade brats. They turned out awesome. I know there are probably 50 different style brats, so I’m not sure what exactly to call it. I want to guess they were “Wisconsin” style brats. They had almost a sweet flavor to them (as opposed to my homemade deer sausage that is more hot/spicy)

It looks like you need some more. pm me your adress and I'll get you a few pac's. uf

·
Registered
2,739 Posts

• 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander
No egg's or cream. 1&1/2 cans of beer to 10# of meat.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No egg's or cream. 1&1/2 cans of beer to 10# of meat.
PM sent. Is the recipe I posted above a good one? Did the stuff you sent me have these ingredients?

:cool:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Problem with tablespoons ,teaspoons ect is the weight of the meat throws things off. Heres a rule of thumb for salts and spices

SALT 7grams per pd of meat
peppers 1or2 grams per pd of meat
most other spices 1 to 2 grams per pd

When you like a certain spice, you can knock it up a gram per pd till you find the sweet spot

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

• 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander
Looks pretty good. I would be concerned about 25% back fat, seems a bit much

I guess it depends on how fatty your shoulder is.

We use 10/15% back fat max even with using game meat.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I see some folks put beer into the mix, I always thought beer was added later. I have a pan on the grill with hot beer and put the brats into in to marinate after they come off the grill. I thought this was the reason they say Beer Brats.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
No you add the beer right to the mixture instead of water or ice, gives it a nice malty flavor. Next time if you can find some high temp cheddar cheese and hot peppers+the beer oh baby now your cook'en. Try ground chicken, brat seasoning, ground uncooked bacon, Swiss cheese. Cordon Bleu brats.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts