Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to pick a piece of equipment to use one hour a day in your home to improve your physical fitness what would you buy?

We have a treadmill - it's better than nothing, but I struggle with shin splints / shin tightness and would like to mix in something else. I recently used an elliptical and it felt awkward, but seemed to keep my heart rate up for an hour. I haven't used a rowing machine in 20 years, but remember them being awesome. Recently used a recumbant style exercise bike and seemed to have knee pain after an hour (almost like my feet were too far apart compared to a real bike?).

Right now those are the three on my mind - I'm not looking to become ripped, just looking to improve myself and not run out of breath so easily. I'm leaning towards a rowing machine - not sure if I should take the plunge with a $1k Concept 2 or if something cheap will hold up fine. This thing will likely get 1 hour of use per day, 5 days a week (other 2 on treadmill). In the summer I'll mix in outdoors / biking.

Thanks for any and all opinions.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Of course a squat rack with a bench and pull up bar.

You can hit full body and you'd be amazed what the main 3 exercises can do for you. Quick rests will get heart rate up and keep you fit.

Otherwise a rowing machine is by far the best of the 3.

I got my mother the $300 one off Amazon and it's surprisingly decent quality. And she's down 13lbs since Christmas so it's working. She's 63

·
Registered
25,189 Posts
Are you using the treadmill on an incline?
That would mess me up...
I use mine 45-50 minutes a day and have no problems.

·
A Fine Example For Others
37,588 Posts
From years in construction and working on the farm, I don't need no workout equipment.

·
time to go racing yet ?
31,575 Posts
get a water rower..... a good one.

i use a tread mill alot and while i mostly worked thru my issues over the past 2 yrs , shin splints, thigh issues, etc {i never ran before i got the tread} ..... i would like to get a water rower for something more..... thought about a stair machine not sure tho

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
2,979 Posts
ef the treadmill. too harsh on joints. Elliptical is a better replacement once you get use to it.
Rowing machine is a full body. as well as the squat/pull up.
I like a rack of free weights tho. Very versatile and uses less floor space.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Yall aint got nowhere to walk outside? I get my miles in during deer season with a climber on my back. It's a 2 mile walk one way to the wildlife preserve when you come in the back way

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Rowing kicks ass. I finish my workouts with rowing. I used to do it for wrestling, feels amazing. I’m leaning towards a home gym setup in the future as she. I feel like working out, by the time I get to the gym I’m not in the mood anymore. I only pay $5 a month for my membership though so it’s hard to not renew it..

·
time to go racing yet ?
31,575 Posts
Whats a decent home rowing machine thats not crazy expensive?
there are off brand chinese ones on amazon for around 400.00 reviews are decent ..... id rather buy a nice one, i keep an eye on the FB market place every now and again but typically miss out, usually you can get one of the wooden ones for half cost of new

·
Registered
956 Posts
IMG_6045.PNG

I've got something similar to this with 400 pounds of free weights. A set of adjustable dumbbells are nice to have also. I haven't priced them lately but when I bought mine 25 years ago they were almost $300

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I use the total gym. Quick effective and easy to store. Lost 45lbs using it and eating right.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'd look into a fan bike. You don't need the latest and greatest, just keep your eyes peeled for something like an older Airdyne. They come up pretty frequently on the cheap. Takes up less space than a rower, and is easier on your back.

·
Hemi's ROCK!!!
32,123 Posts
I alternate between the treadmill and heavybag 5 days a week. The heavybag will wear your ass out if you use it right.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
I use a treadmill daily 30-45 minutes,and then some weights on a weight bench .Mostly bench presses and leg lifts. Been thinking about adding something else to my routine so I am subscribed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts