Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here care to share pics/thoughts about a home theater room? This will be my summer project. I have a 15x16 room to work with (small). I was thinking along the lines of doing 2 floor risers ([email protected]" and [email protected]") to accommodate 2 rows of 3-seats. Probably a 60-65" plasma with supporting 5.1 or possibly 7.1 hardware. Any preferences on TV or electronics brands??? Keep in mind when it comes to electronics I'm a "bang for the buck" type person, not a "spend my last dime for the latest tech" person. What about furniture? Sconces? Best paint schemes/colors? Who's got decent prices on all the "little touches" like popcorn machines, movie signs, etc.....

Thanks for any pics/thoughts/advice!!

·
Head Phuckstick
18,604 Posts
Skip the Popcorn machine and signs and use that extra money for better gear. (Words of wisdom). Before I give advice could you give us a ballpark budget number. (That would help us better understand what type of equipment we need to recommend.)

Shannon

·
Registered
166 Posts
I built my TV into the wall and make pockets for all the components to sit it. I like samsung tv's, mines a 67" with Bose lifestyles II. Don't skimp on the sound, makes all the difference in the world. Ill see if I can round up some pics.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My $.02, but the word Bose shouldn't even come to mind when designing a home theater, and neither should 99% of what they sell at Best Buy, etc (they do carry some decent receiver brands and TV's).

15x16, you don't have much room to work with for proper placement of equipment, so I too would scratch the miscellaneous crap, aka popcorn machine, etc. It all depends on what you're shooting for. If it's a fart around kind of theater room, then you can put all the posters, etc, you want up. If it's more on the serious side of things, you'll be wanting careful placement of your acoustics, dark, flat colors on the walls, and dense fabrics.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turnkey, I'd like to stay under 20K. Please keep in mind I'm not the guy who appreciates twice the sound quality at 4x the price. I understand about quality, but price wise some of this stuff gets outta hand and goes way beyond my level of appreciation. Kinda like sticking a Bryant crank in a 350hp small block. Know what I mean?

FWIW, if it gives you any indication to my level of appreciation, I have a 50" Samsung plasma (720p) in the living room and a 42" LG plasma (720p) in my bedroom and both are fantastic as far as my eyes are concerned. The living room TV is simply piped thru a Pioneer reciever and JBL speakers for the "good" shows/games.

·
~TweakeD~
9,107 Posts
put dark colors, and dim lights. A nice projector screen, with a few recliners in a rows.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
15x16, you don't have much room to work with for proper placement of equipment, so I too would scratch the miscellaneous crap, aka popcorn machine, etc. It all depends on what you're shooting for. If it's a fart around kind of theater room, then you can put all the posters, etc, you want up. If it's more on the serious side of things, you'll be wanting careful placement of your acoustics, dark, flat colors on the walls, and dense fabrics.

I want a dark room, with comfortable seating, cinema type lighting on the floor/wall, a good picture, and decent surrond sound. :cool: And the smell of popcorn......with lots of butter. :rock:

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
My $.02, but the word Bose shouldn't even come to mind when designing a home theater, and neither should 99% of what they sell at Best Buy, etc (they do carry some decent receiver brands and TV's).

Color has nothing to do with absorbing or reflecting waves ! Density ,material design and placement do . Colors dont diffuse or absorb audio frequencies .

·
Head Phuckstick
18,604 Posts
My $.02, but the word Bose shouldn't even come to mind when designing a home theater.
HELL YES! And unless you buy monster cable shit cheap (ebay,clearance or discontinued) don't bother. I'd check out Bluejeanscables.com and save yourself a bunch of money on your interconnectors.

Shannon

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Get some good audio and place some speakers in strategic locations for that surround sound.....that's always what seems to make it for me. Get good video, and with good audio, it'll be great. Go to the Omni or some of those theatres, its good video, but the sound is what makes it.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
also--put your sub box wherever you want. Low frequencies like that are omni-directional .

for example -- the moron who drives down your street blasting the awful rap garbage--- what do you hear down the whole street ? bass frequencies .

·
~TweakeD~
9,107 Posts
i have 32 speakers hooked up to our family room. The family room was turned into the entertainment center haha

Place the speakers in corners up high pointed at an angle down. Put two subs in the front, and two in the back. It will all be directed to where you will be sitting. Im big on surround sound lol A projector screen is a must!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A projector screen is a must!
How far back is your closest seat to the screen?? My fear is a projector/screen setup won't have enough clarity/resolution for my small room. My closest seats will be ~9ft head to screen. That's why I was leaning towards plasma.

·
Head Phuckstick
18,604 Posts
Turnkey, I'd like to stay under 20K. Please keep in mind I'm not the guy who appreciates twice the sound quality at 4x the price. I understand about quality, but price wise some of this stuff gets outta hand and goes way beyond my level of appreciation. Kinda like sticking a Bryant crank in a 350hp small block. Know what I mean?

FWIW, if it gives you any indication to my level of appreciation, I have a 50" Samsung plasma (720p) in the living room and a 42" LG plasma (720p) in my bedroom and both are fantastic as far as my eyes are concerned. The living room TV is simply piped thru a Pioneer reciever and JBL speakers for the "good" shows/games.
Equipment:
Pioneer Elite SC-35 receiver (I kind of figured you don't want to do separates "I.E. Pre-amp/processor & separate amp")

Polk audio RTi A9 "mains", Polk audio CSi A6 "center", Polk Audio RTi A3 "rear surround", Polk audio FXi A6 "side surround.

SvS Sound PB13-Ultra "Sub"

Velodyne SMS-1 "Digital sub driver"

Sony Playstation 3 (Blu Ray player and media center)

Now that we got the sound and media covered, You looking for a TV or a Projector?

Shannon

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
i have 32 speakers hooked up to our family room. The family room was turned into the entertainment center haha

Place the speakers in corners up high pointed at an angle down. Put two subs in the front, and two in the back. It will all be directed to where you will be sitting. Im big on surround sound lol A projector screen is a must!

What is the impedance on each box you are driving ?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I heard that when it comes to projectors, it is all in how much you spend on the screen? This right?

·
Head Phuckstick
18,604 Posts
I heard that when it comes to projectors, it is all in how much you spend on the screen? This right?
I've seen screens that guys have made that look pretty good but they researched it to death before they built their own. I think its all in what your own eye can see and not what others see when it comes to Image reproduction. :)

Shannon

1 - 20 of 77 Posts