Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Grade 8 Motorsports
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first winter as a homeowner, and am kinda curious as to how much oil some of you guys are consuming. I had my tank filled in the middle of november, and they just came to fill it again. I keep the house at 60*, and its only 1000 sq feet. I didnt think I would use 178 gallons in 2 months. Typical for an older house, or do I need to seriously look at making this place a bit more efficient?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Is the exhaust stack smoking? Even a little? Make sure your spray nozzle (jet) is clean. If you're not spraying finely enough efficiency suffers.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Filled up Dec 6th (200 gallons), I keep the house at 70 (about 900 square feet) and I'm below a quarter now - Guys are coming tomorrow to install an electric furnace. Electricity is way cheaper where I live.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have a 1200 sq. ft. home, 320 of it is a new addition. I filled up in Nov. then in the first week of Jan. I'll fill up again in Feb. I might make it till spring but I usually need another 150 gal. to get through the cool evenings. 150 is the min. delivery. Oil is $3.11 now. I keep the house at 66*. Just make sure your heater is running properly. I was lucky enough to find a heater guy that really knows his stuff and cares about what he does. My heater runs smooth as silk and never lets me down. Regular maintenance visits are ALWAYS cheaper than an emergency no heat call.

·
Registered
42,268 Posts
I keep the house at 60*, and its only 1000 sq feet. I didnt think I would use 178 gallons in 2 months.
1,000' house? Get yourself a coal stove. That 178 gallons would cost you less than half what that oil costs in anthracite and you'll be a lot warmer than 60*.:D Do the math.
http://nepacrossroads.com/fuel-comparison-calculator.php

Studies show that the colder your house is, the less pussy you get! Turn up the heat!

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
1,000' house? Get yourself a coal stove. That 178 gallons would cost you less than half what that oil costs in anthracite and you'll be a lot warmer than 60*.:D Do the math.
http://nepacrossroads.com/fuel-comparison-calculator.php

Studies show that the colder your house is, the less pussy you get! Turn up the heat!
...or a woodstove.....either way, you could EASILY cook yourself out for very little $$$ even if it's lacking insulation.

I heat solely with wood...I have propane and get 300gal per year and never use it up.

·
Dr. Greenthumb
2,659 Posts
I went to wood myself. I did that a couple years ago when it was 4 bucks a gallon. Someone kept taking the damn filter off stealing mine. Im about 99% sure I know who it is. My fuckin white trash neighbors. Theyve done shit like this before, and they run oil too. Im not sure what Im going to do. 1 of 2 things. First Im going to spread it in general conversation that I was too close to running out of wood. So I'm running it again. Then Im either going to put a motion camera on it, or put gas in the tank....or both. I kinda like the gas idea.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I went to Pellets....WAY cheaper!
Paying $180 per ton...I'll burn 4.5 tons this winter....that's around $800. I keep my 1400 sqft home around 75* where the stove is. Bedrooms are around 65*

To heat my house with oil (which I still have) would cost $2500 at current prices.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a rental house thats about 800 Sqft, and my tenant fills the tank (200 Gal roughly)once a year and were in nebraska where winters are cold and snowy.. I would say you need to insulate.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I went to Pellets....WAY cheaper!
According to my cousins, pellets are the way to go. They are supposed to be made of recycled products, which would normally end up in a landfill, and surplus corn silage.
Plus they buy them, in bulk, during off-season to get a really cheap price.

·
Grade 8 Motorsports
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The heater was serviced right before I bought the house in May. New filter, cleaned/inspected, etc. I guess I'm not too far off the mark for a house that could use a little better insulation. I thought for sure it would last longer than 2 months though. I guess I'm a bit naive as a homeowner. I'll definitely look into a pellet stove for next winter. I have a hook-up for wood (my uncle does tree removal) so maybe I should look into that too...

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
The heater was serviced right before I bought the house in May. New filter, cleaned/inspected, etc. I guess I'm not too far off the mark for a house that could use a little better insulation. I thought for sure it would last longer than 2 months though. I guess I'm a bit naive as a homeowner. I'll definitely look into a pellet stove for next winter. I have a hook-up for wood (my uncle does tree removal) so maybe I should look into that too...
Most tree removal guys around here take what they need and damn near give the stuff away. If your uncle can hook you up, that would make decision making much easier.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
You may have drafty windows and doors as well. It's easy to check. When you have a moderate wind blowing outside, light a stick incense and hold it near a door or window. The slightest draft that even you can't feel will be obvious with the incense.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think after this year I'll be installing a woodstove in my family room.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
According to my cousins, pellets are the way to go. They are supposed to be made of recycled products, which would normally end up in a landfill, and surplus corn silage.
Plus they buy them, in bulk, during off-season to get a really cheap price.
Lowes carries them now as does Home depot/tractor supply/etc.

Buy 3 or 4 different brands and find which one works best in your stove.
Then go back and buy a ton or two (or three)....and have them price match the best price in town.

Yes coal is cheaper, but Pellets are much EASIER!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have a 1200 sq ft home and we burn about 5 gallons of fuel oil a day in the cold of the winter. This includes haeat and hot water.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I bought a wood stove 3 years ago.. LOVE IT ! It is work though. Locating wood and splitting it. I save roughly $1500.00 per year and the family loves the stove.
My wife even gets it fired up when I am not around... if I could only get her to split the wood !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts