Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Old Carson tonight, Liz Taylor and Michael Douglas. He mentioned his Dad "rags to riches" so I looked it up. Kirk is still with us!!!!??? at 102!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Douglas

My father, who had been a horse trader in Russia, got himself a horse and a small wagon, and became a ragman, buying old rags, pieces of metal, and junk for pennies, nickels, and dimes.... Even on Eagle Street, in the poorest section of town, where all the families were struggling, the ragman was on the lowest rung on the ladder. And I was the ragman's son.[4]

Growing up, Douglas sold snacks to mill workers to earn enough to buy milk and bread to help his family. Later, he delivered newspapers and during his youth he had more than forty jobs before becoming an actor.[18] He found living in a family with six sisters to be stifling: "I was dying to get out. In a sense, it lit a fire under me." In high school, after acting in plays, he then knew he wanted to become a professional actor.[19] Unable to afford the tuition, Douglas talked his way into the dean's office at St. Lawrence University and showed him a list of his high school honors. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in 1939. He received a loan which he paid back by working part-time as a gardener and a janitor. He was a standout on the wrestling team and wrestled one summer in a carnival to make money

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
One of my favorite actors. I watched a TV program recently about the Douglas Dynasty and it was very informative. It covered Kirk's career, Michael's career and Michael's son and his problems.

·
Smart Ass Conservative
107,384 Posts
The real Sparticus

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
26,815 Posts
Some of his old films from the 40's were really cool :)

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Great actor. I got to see him up close one sunny day the summer of 1966. A girlfriend and I were sitting on the lawn on one of the quads at the University of Oregon. A man approached from my rear and I noticed my gf was staring at him. He stopped and asked where the theatre department was located. I pointed the way. It was Kirk there to see his son Michael who attended there for a couple years. I was amazing his was a smaller man. Keep on rocking Kirk.

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,272 Posts
One of hollywood's greatest.

·
Behind Enemy Lines In Ca.
15,909 Posts
I also got real close to him on a flight from LAX to Palm Springs.

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
I met him at a friends house a couple doors down when he was filming "The Final Countdown". They were having a party... He was extremely nice and friendly. He was from a different time and place versus the actors now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
He made a Comedy movie : "The Villain" when I was a kid I believe it was late 70's. Not his usual style , but a funny at the time. Always liked him for sure.

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,272 Posts
I met him at a friends house a couple doors down when he was filming "The Final Countdown". They were having a party... He was extremely nice and friendly. He was from a different time and place versus the actors now.
Loved that movie

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He made a Comedy movie : "The Villain" when I was a kid I believe it was late 70's. Not his usual style , but a funny at the time. Always liked him for sure.

LMFAO at that movie. They did all the "Roadrunner Coyote" gags

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
Happy Birthday Kirk Douglas. Turned 103 Today.

·
Registered
16,683 Posts
Great actor. I got to see him up close one sunny day the summer of 1966. A girlfriend and I were sitting on the lawn on one of the quads at the University of Oregon. A man approached from my rear and I noticed my gf was staring at him. He stopped and asked where the theatre department was located. I pointed the way. It was Kirk there to see his son Michael who attended there for a couple years. I was amazing his was a smaller man. Keep on rocking Kirk.
I also got real close to him on a flight from LAX to Palm Springs.
you 2 sound like a couple of giddy school girls......man the fuck up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts