Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Holley Sniper 4500 any reviews yet?

34K views 94 replies 33 participants last post by  Peep Show Racing 
#1 ·
Been thinking of buying one, any reviews of it yet?

#5 ·
Ill answer both in one here...

its roughlly 1450 CFM, so it makes more power than my 1250 Dominator, simply by virtue of airflow through a 1300hp motor

the tune and cyl to cyl distribution is petty much on par with any single 4 dominator.

Yes, its self learning. One issue if you put the o2 in a collector is at low speed the exh pulses draw air into the collector, tricking it into thinking its lean when it isnt. I have 8 o2 on my dyno, so i put the holley into say cyl 3 up by the exh port and let it learn low rpm. I also monitor everything with the other o2, so i can correct the fuel table. After you get it tuned at idle and part throttle you can adjust the self lear threshold to a higher rpm so its above the pulling air in point.

Or if you have full exh you can leave it at a lower rpm.

It works incredibly well actually. Its stupid easy to use either their handheld, or i use a laptop and manipulate the tables myself. Ive sold a couple, from race applications to the smaller 4150 on a street car. They are slick.

#10 ·
this is why i specifically bring up airflow. Truth be told, i never ran it a/b with a 1450 sized carb. It flows so much because there is no booster in the way, so it can be done with a smaller bore. I woudl guess they will be pretty much the same power. It requires 60 psi fuel pressure, and a return style fuel system. As for spare parts, i dont really see a need. Maybe a MAP, and/or an O2. Thats pretty minimal.
As has become normal with the carb guys, they get defensive about it. Ive had several actually get pissed at me about even trying it. Really? There is no need. People are interested in EFI. There is room for both carb and efi. Its something different. Will it replace carbs? Highly doubtful. Is it interesting to people who want to dip their foot in the EFI pool? absolutely.

#12 ·
#15 ·
Question: I am told I need a "dizzy" to have full timing control, but on my FAST Classic, I just used a locked MSD distributor and had full control.....I guess I am not understanding this part of it....

And if it quits, I drain the fuel tank, swap the spring in the regulator back to 5psi, put my advance distributor back in, and slap the 1250 back on it...and wait for parts.....My experience says these kinds of issues are few and far between though. Had an ECU go bad on my once and had to swap back until it was repaired.

#17 ·
Bob anymore updates to this? Looking at one for a BBc 680 nitrous street car.

You said you had it on a 1300Hp engine. Was it maxed out or more left? When my motor was a 706 it made mid 1300Hp range. Going smaller but Slick Rick is tuning the heads up some more and should make more power then it did before.

Thanks John

#18 ·
Bob anymore updates to this? Looking at one for a BBc 680 nitrous street car.

You said you had it on a 1300Hp engine. Was it maxed out or more left? When my motor was a 706 it made mid 1300Hp range. Going smaller but Slick Rick is tuning the heads up some more and should make more power then it did before.

Thanks John
yes, ive run several now. they really do a good job. The thing is give or take 1450 cfm. im actually pretty happy with them. Only thing i wish it did was give me control over the 4 corners independently for stagger jetting/tuning I have 8 o2 on the dyno so i could correct the corners more, but honestly thats being nitpicky. That was a normal bracket deal btw, not a max effort deal. i just did a 128 profiler headed 632 that was 1325 ish with one.

#21 ·
Bob, I have the little brother for this going on my new motor this year. I think it's 550-518 that's rated at 650Hp, but heard from a guy on Team Chevelle's that those can support about 680Hp. This will be on my daily-driver style 427 BBc. Should be right in the 670/680Hp range were figuring.

Now this 4500 series is rated at 800-1500Hp and your going as much as 1325 as stated above. Wonder if they can also go a tad bit more, like 1575Hp?

Reason I'm asking is I also have a 475"BBc that made 785Hp, but was sucking back 1030+CFM at 7200RPM. The Sniper Xflow is rated to 800Hp, but only 900CFM? Do you see this being a issue on my engine that was using 1030+CFM on the dyno? It's sorta a F.A.S.T. style deal we did to try and retain some OEM appearance while at the same time, making some nice power. Was thinking the 800Hp kit could be fun for this streetcar too. Well there all going on the street.

I DO see they are offering the 2X4's 4150 now rated at 1250Hp. So I figure the 2X4 4500 should not be to much longer. I hope they also get the E85 stuff a bit better sorted out for the 800 and 1500Hp deals.

#22 ·
Bob, I have the little brother for this going on my new motor this year. I think it's 550-518 that's rated at 650Hp, but heard from a guy on Team Chevelle's that those can support about 680Hp. This will be on my daily-driver style 427 BBc. Should be right in the 670/680Hp range were figuring.

Now this 4500 series is rated at 800-1500Hp and your going as much as 1325 as stated above. Wonder if they can also go a tad bit more, like 1575Hp?

Reason I'm asking is I also have a 475"BBc that made 785Hp, but was sucking back 1030+CFM at 7200RPM. The Sniper Xflow is rated to 800Hp, but only 900CFM? Do you see this being a issue on my engine that was using 1030+CFM on the dyno? It's sorta a F.A.S.T. style deal we did to try and retain some OEM appearance while at the same time, making some nice power. Was thinking the 800Hp kit could be fun for this streetcar too. Well there all going on the street.

I DO see they are offering the 2X4's 4150 now rated at 1250Hp. So I figure the 2X4 4500 should not be to much longer. I hope they also get the E85 stuff a bit better sorted out for the 800 and 1500Hp deals.
i wouldnt think 1575 would be an issue. you can run more fuel pressure and "trick" it into not knowing what its doing....lol. i think its got enough fuel to support that. they typically make sure they are on the safe side. it of course isnt going to flow enough fuel for 1500 on e85, thats a lot more injector than it currently has.

#23 ·
Thank you very much Bob. I haven't looked into these Snipers since I ordered mine in Sept. Seems like they pretty much have everything BUT the 2X4500 covered now. I recall that there seemed to be a gap in Snipers EFI Hp coverage back in the summer. Something about car with about 700 Hp being not supported as the basic kit covers to about 650/680Hp and the next was 800/1500Hp with the 4500. Now they have the 800Hp 4150.

Do you know anyone who has done real-world back to back track test to see how the Snipers compare to a well tuned carb deal? I have seen some on slower, 10 sec. stuff, but be nice to see what the 1300Hp motor would be like ET wise with the carb?

With my stuff ALL going to be on the street just to get some use/time on them, the 2 milder cars are fine. My 706 is getting destroked from 5.3 to 5.0 stroke. Still hoping to be well over 1300Hp N/A. So that single 4500 should be enough. Just curious with 3 guns I'm thinking the WET nitrous systems can supply all the fuel needed?

Your the ONLY I have seen using these on some big Hp engines. THANK YOU.

#33 ·
Been running the stealth 4500 since October on my 34 ford roadster. Engine was a 555 with dart 355 heads. Car weighs 2400 with me in it. Car ran flawlessly. After the learning curve, transferring the learn and smoothing the fuel map twice it was pretty nasty. Just got a new 565 with brodix cnc 3xtra heads that i installed yesterday. Best et with 555 was 5.19@130 with a 1 14 sixty ft. That motor had a nitrous cam that was done at 6500. Hoping for some 4 90's with new motor and 5.30's leaving in high gear . Also going to the Holley efi training in march.

#35 ·
So to bring this back up. I'm leaning towards going E85 with one or 2 of my cars. Funny IF I were to convert all 3 cars to the Sniper EFI stuff, I would have one of each of their systems due to the different power/purpose of each car/engine.

So starting to "think" about the Xtreme flow 1375 for my 475 inch motor. It dyno'ed 785Hp so being N/A and the xtreme flow being rated for 800Hp, I should be able to to handle that motor with it. BUT if I want to convert it to E85, not sure that this system will do it.

Going to get intouch with Steve Morris Racing as they offer E85 tunes if you buy this systems and see what's there take is on the whole thing? Will keep the site informed.

#37 ·
I would stick with a MSD Grid set-up myself. Bob would be better off to give you a better option. Most do not use the Sniper to control timing from what I seen. The 4500 should work with your set-up by the looks of it.

I look at it as the nitrous is a "stand-alone" system to support itself. Don't know with 2 kits there is enough fuel to spray it dry and hope it's enough or done right. Just use the 4500 Sniper for the motor, and spray the 2 kits WET just like a carb.

#40 ·
Yes if you have a digital 7 of sorts, just piggy back the 7730 onto it. There less then $500. But a 7720 grid controller is only $500 if you don't have a digutal 7.

I will be pigggy backing the 7730 on my digital 7 in my car since I have it too.

#44 ·
Yes if you have a digital 7 of sorts, just piggy back the 7730 onto it. There less then $500. But a 7720 grid controller is only $500 if you don't have a digutal 7.

I will be pigggy backing the 7730 on my digital 7 in my car since I have it too.
Manic and NPS, the motor in the car now is a SBC and running an old 6AL box. So I have the freedom to purchase the best option when I move to the BBC. If starting fresh, what's the total cost of the grid system? I spoke to the MSD people and they said $1600-ish all in. Then I check Summit and there are multiple boxes, add ons, and other pieces. I'm a little confused on what I need and certainly don't want to keep using the 6AL.

#43 ·
We sat out last year with a bad head casting but the year before we ran a sniper for a few races on our Super Comp car. It started on the first crank, did a nice 330' test and ran 8.79 on the first try. We went from fourth to second in points in our association. The last race at Byron there was us on Q16 and another dragster with a dominator injection on E85 in the final. This was the day I transferred learning to the map. Our head failure happened on the burnout. My daughter drives it and says it's like a sports car in the pits. Great throttle response and runs clean at low speeds. We were winning rounds in learn mode so I can't say enough and I'm not a tech type. The only downside was our electrical system was lacking and the injection didn't help, I've upgraded it and hope to run well this year.

#45 ·
If getting the most bang for my buck was the main goal, I personally would find a used 7531 Digital 7 for around $500 and the Grid can be added later. Not as good as having all the stuff that goes with the Grid family but you are talking another pile of cash. Also sounds like you need a new distributor so yeah, I can see it getting up around $1600ish. You could probably get a better deal from an MSD dealer on this sight. MSD peeps are going to quote you retail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.