Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I let my truck sit for a few weeks with E85 in it, the pressure relief valves in my black pumps get stuck. I pull them apart and clean off a white paste and they work fine. Anyone else have this problem?
The fuel has been in the 88 to 90% ethanol range lately.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Right after I switched over to e-85,after my first weekend out I let the car set for about 2mo. with fuel in the system and when I went to fire it up the same thing happend to me. I've since then put a new pump on it and its been setting for about 1 1/2 months and I fired it up yesterday and its working fine. My understanding is its moisture. (the white stuff). I started pulling my vent tube out of the top of the cell and putting a plug on it and haven't been haveing any issues since.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Jimbo is correct.....lol

your drawing some moisture from the air into the cell....if its going to sit for extended period of time plug it so it cant draw moisture.

·
Registered
754 Posts
what about when using the stock tank and a mechanical fuel pump.

What can be done to prevent moisture build up?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
what about when using the stock tank and a mechanical fuel pump.
both are fine....the stock tank may have some gasoline varnish in it and will start to clean itself which means a new fuel filter may need to be put in a few times until the varnish is gone...

What can be done to prevent moisture build up?
moisture is normally not an issue.... the ethanol will hold up to 7% water before it rejects if out....(methanol is 3%)

the gasoline tends to lube the fuel and nuetralizes the oxidation.

If your getting more than 7% then you need to figure out a better venting system on your fuel cell.

BTW...rejected water causes oxidation (corrosion)

Mark Sullens

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
what about adding a lubricant..i run top oils, and i dont get the problems john(above) does..any info?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
while most top oils will mix with the chemical structure of Methanol, they do tend to seperate from Ethanol.

I have done several test using the various brands of top lube, and when mixed most of them after a few days they seperated and fell to the bottom of the jar.

the lubes that did manage to stay in suspension worked well at lubrication the mix, but ended up costing a minor amount of HP....

I prefer to just use the gasoline thats in the blend as the lube and call it good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts