Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going threw my tune up, and i do use the individual timing retard, after looking at it I thought - would take out timing and a straight digit would add timing, but if it's called timing retard it must retard the amount you put in without the - in front of it.
So I looked in the help files and said it can only retard timing not add, fine.
So why have a positive and negative value in the program?

·
Registered
159 Posts
so in turn would putting a negative number in the box advance the timing on the said cylinder, or is it just ineffective when a negative number is applied?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
So I looked in the help files and said it can only retard timing not add, fine.
So why have a positive and negative value in the program?
It is a "retard". Positive value RETARDS timing.
So in turn, would putting a negative number in the box advance the timing on the said cylinder, or is it just ineffective when a negative number is applied?
I thought the ECU couldn't advance individual cylinder timing; only retard it?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next time I fire up my car I will be testing the ict with a timing light just so I'm confident next time I play with it

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Im confused Doug. And you answer Danny question in detail. Thx.
Getting ready to fire our new EFI this weekend.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I thought this as well, Positive number retards and below zero did nothing. Good to know. I have yet found the need to advance in a particular hole. Just pull'n.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd also like to know if I've made my "hot" cylinders hotter because I have a "-" before my number. Please let us know.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I'd also like to know if I've made my "hot" cylinders hotter because I have a "-" before my number. Please let us know.
We've already established that because it was originally (primarily) a Timing Retard, a positive value naturally retards ICT (Individual Cylinder Timing).
We've also established that a negative value will advance ICT (and that this is well documented in the new software's "Help" Contents).
The only aspect we're not sure of, is whether or not the current EFI software/ECU firmware is capable of retarding and advancing ICT.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The software and firmware, from day one, for this feature, is a "timing retard". So a positive value is a "retard. During a later revision, a negative value was allowed to be entered, which would advance the timing.

So a value of "2", would retard the timing by 2 degrees. A value of "-2" would advance it. If the software (like the current 2.2.03) (and proper firmware) allows a negative number, it would be active.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The only aspect we're not sure of, is whether or not the current EFI software/ECU firmware is capable of retarding and advancing ICT.
If the software (like the current 2.2.03) (and proper firmware) allows a negative number, it would be active.
Yep, I just heard back from Holley. Evidently, the current EFI software/ECU firmware is capable of retarding and advancing ICT. (It's just not documented as such in the "Help" Contents.)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
So positive retard values = negative timing, right?
Yes, it's primarily a Timing Retard, so a positive value retards timing (just like in the Nitrous ICF). The Timing Advance feature (negative value) was added at a later date.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
They should get rid of the word "Retard", and replace it with "Correction".
I like that idea; it would make the positive & negative values more intuitive! Or add a third column for ICT Advance only.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts