Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently using V4 of the Holley software and it works fine. Was planning on updating to V5 but the install fails on my laptop.

The install works ok to the step where it installs the 'USBCAN driver'. In typical windows fashion the error message is literally 'install failed' with no details whatsoever.

When I try opening the V5 application it says 'WINUSB.DLL not found' and that's it (application screen never shows).

I'm running this on the only windows machine I have (I typically use Linux) and it's a 32-bit WinXP install.

Anyone seen this error before? Any ideas on how to fix it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not wanting to buy a new OS just to run this. Besides, it says it supports XP so I want to get it to work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it to work. Since it seems some didn't read the OP: This is Windows XP.

So V5 requires winusb which V4 didn't. Unfortunately they don't install it. Looks like the winusb installer is part of V5 (C:\Program Files\Holley\USBCAN-WinUSB\driver\winusbcoinstaller2.dll) but it's broken.

The steps I did to get V5 to work:

1. Download Google USB driver: https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb
  2. Unpack latest_usb_driver_windows.zip from step 1.
  3. Navigate down to latest_usb_driver_windows\usb_driver\i386
  4. Extract winusbcoinstaller2.dll using 7ZIP into a new directory.
  5. Navigate into the new directory created in step 4 to winusbcoinstaller2\update
  6. Run update.exe
After that V5 opened although the new USBCAN driver was still not working. I believe it is optional in case you use the new CAN-to-USB dongle. If you hook the laptop up to the ECU via USB it should work without USBCAN. Still, I did get USBCAN to work also:

1. Update to the unofficial SP4 service pack. Google 'Windows xp sp4 download'.
  2. Go to the windows update site (control panel -> System. Select 'Automatic updates' tab. Click 'Windows update web site' link).
  3. Pick all updates, including optional. I got over 120 updates.
  4. Run Holley install again and USBCAN should work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoke too soon. Even though the app starts now it won't connect to the ECU. I still have V4 installed as well and it connects fine. Looks like Holley has done zero testing on WinXP. Would have been nice if they had stated they no longer support WinXP in the release notes so I hadn't wasted a day.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Did you try to go from V4 to V5.100 without first installing V5.32?

The latter installed on my XP Pro laptop and communicated with my ECU and updated the ECU without any heartache. I’m not going to V5.100 anytime soon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correct. I went V4 to V5.100. V5.32 will probably work as it uses the old USB driver. The release notes for V5.100 mentions they use different USB drivers to speed it up. But the faster communication was the only thing I really cared about in V5 so I won't try V5.32.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hello, A couple weeks ago I upgraded to 5.0 build 32 on my winxp 32bit with no issues. Then upgraded the firmware in the ecu with no issues, it does take a bit of time upgrade the firmware. I wish I could help more than this. This was used for a Holley HP and supercharged BBC. I didn't know the history of the HP so I downloaded the latest from holley that day.

I had the same error as you on that xp laptop when trying to install the sniper software, due to time constraints I grabbed one of my win7 laptops and got the sniper finished that day.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Spoke too soon. Even though the app starts now it won't connect to the ECU. I still have V4 installed as well and it connects fine. Looks like Holley has done zero testing on WinXP. Would have been nice if they had stated they no longer support WinXP in the release notes so I hadn't wasted a day.
Hello again, I thought I had read that you have to do a firmware upgrade first. Seems like it was something along the lines of not being able to use v5 on v4 firmware.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't do FW update with no USB connection. The menu that lets you do the FW update is unavailable.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't do FW update with no USB connection. The menu that lets you do the FW update is unavailable.

Thought about it some more and I guess you mean do the upgrade with V4 SW. Seems risky. If V5 still doesn't work after the ECU upgrade it's pretty much bricked.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why do you want , or need 5 ?

Cant remember what it does over 4 .

I'm one of those people who always upgrades to the latest and greatest (except windows because I don't want to give microsoft any money. lol).

But you have a good point. For me the only thing in V5 that's interesting is the faster update rate and that's not very important. I'd also lose the use of my 5.7" handheld (not V5 compatible). So for now I'll stick with V4.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've stuck with V4 so far. But I also found out you can run win10 without activation just fine. The nagging is pretty mild. So I've abandoned XP and made a new virtual machine with win 10 instead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts