Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pro Spectator
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Holley electric choke the biggest POS? I have not had a carbureted car in some time and never had an electric choke. I have been tinkering with tuning my latest project so I can drive it a little before restoring it. It has a 670 Holley street avenger carb, I can not get it to come off high idle, I have tried every setting from lean to rich on the choke(making adjustments when cool). I disconnected the choke and safety wired the choke open and it runs fine but it bugs me that I can't get the choke to work.
Sorry for the rambling
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Make sure small cork gasket is on back side of housing. Linkage can get put together in a bind. Gasket between thermo coil and housing. Usually they work better than manual.

·
Let's have one.
3,176 Posts
Tinkered with a lot of those on Zenith carbs on rental equipment. Make sure the coil is on the right way or it will want to shut said butterfly.

·
Registered
33,108 Posts
The choke fast idle speed is adjusted with the little 1/4” hex-head screw in the lever on the throttle shaft behind the choke housing.

The amount of choke pull-off – the amount the choke butterfly is pulled open when the engine starts and the vacuum pulls on the piston in the choke housing – is adjusted by turning the little screw under the dab of plastic sealant, pink or orange bondo it looks like, in the piston bore, the cylindrical part with the dome cap plug in the end in the forward side of the the choke housing. The screw and the piston are tapered and the screw stops the piston, it limits the travel. The further in the screw is turned, the less travel the piston has, so the less it pulls the choke open, which makes it richer. The further out the screw is, the more travel the piston can have and that pulls the choke further open, makes it leaner.

Usually, a satisfactory adjustment of the fast-idle speed screw is that which very slightly opens the throttle just a little more than the hot idle speed setting of the idle speed screw on the throttle lever, so the throttle will drop just a bit from the last step of the fast-idle cam to the speed screw on the throttle side.

·
Pro Spectator
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Partially, if I manually open it by pushing the little plastic arm it will stay open for a few seconds then close back up to where it was.

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Partially, if I manually open it by pushing the little plastic arm it will stay open for a few seconds then close back up to where it was.
Can you adjust the choke bi-metalic (the big black plastic cylinder) spring to where the butterfly is fully open?...
IF you can do that and the choke doesn't fully close when you set it (opening the throttle blades) then the spring tension is dead and you'll need to replace it (the bi-metalic spring)!... :cool:

·
Boss
2,098 Posts
Ensure the plastic fast idle cam is at full rest (down) when the engine is hot. I've seen this cam stick (due to vacuum) to the back of the choke housing. Also ensure that the cap has 12v if you haven't done so.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had this happen. I found the spring was installed in the cover upside down, (if you can picture that) as it heated, via 12 volts it closed the choke. Than the choke pull off, kinda held it open so it would half ass run. So no adjustment on the cover (rich or lean) would correct it since it was always trying to close the choke blade.

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Buddy and me both have 390s with the electric choke. They both work but the idle is a bit too high and stays there too long. Sometimes I just turn the key on a little while before I start it.

·
Registered
33,108 Posts
Adjust the speed screw in the lever on the throttle shaft to change the fast idle speed.

Adjust the amount of initial choke opening on start-up with the little screw in the front of the choke housing.

Is the ground wire there and connected? Measure the resistance through the heating coil, between the two spade terminal contacts, it should be 5 Ohms or so, a marine carb might be 10 Ohm, there are different ones but they all have at least 5 Ohm resistance. w

·
Pro Spectator
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I will give those suggestions a try. If they work great if not its coming apart in a month or so anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts