Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it might not be an issue but when I check static timing last night with a timing light, it was showing 30 degrees (as it should) but it would flicker from 30 to 185.... back and forth....? the only thing I can think of is my cam sync is set to 185ish. Is this an issue or am I nuts, lol. Just got the car running a month or so ago and it idles and runs ok.... still working on the tune. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I agree, you're momentarily seeing another cylinder. Record a System Log of the crank & cam sensors. I suspect a cam sensor fault too.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey brillko/danny, it is the Fast distr with the cam sensor in it and i'm running an MSD flying magnet wheel with a hall effect sensor. I record a log. Thanks guys! T

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I setup the diag #1 but don't know what the crank and cam sensors are listed as....?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Is it supposed to look like this? This is diag #1....

Yes that is the system log and when mine was dropping signal it had short steps like that. Some will chime in.

Are you using the Holley Hall effect sensor with MSD wheel or MSD sensor?

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,925 Posts
That trace is strange. Has the same # of steps that mine do, but maybe we use different scaling? My steps go from the bottom to the top of the screen, same nine steps, but yours are far shorter.

OP: I had a bad timing light that was doing the same crap to me. It would flip from the correct timing, to something really off, but also was dying for a moment, when it came back to life it showed the wrong timing, then would go back to the correct timing. Got out another light and it was perfect.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shorter... story of my life, lol.... I had it on 100 scaling so maybe that is why, not sure. I noticed when I rev'd the motor, the shape changed slightly, sort of curved in shape. Thanks Beck! T

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So does the pic mean I have a bad cam sensor as Danny suggest? I'll figure out how to do a log and save it and post it up later. I can get the log to run, I just don't know how to save it. The short step would pop up every now and then when I was logging so that was not the only one. Thanks for the help guys! T

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
What kind of plug wires are you running

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey ram, Firecore 50. Supposed to be a good wire but I will check to make sure not cuts or burns. They are new as of six months ago. I will also double check my phasing as brilko mentioned in a pm. In the above pic, does that narrow my search to cam or crank sensor issues? Thanks. T

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If the car runs perfectly fine, I'll bet it's your light. If your dropping the crank or cam you'd know it by how it runs.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It's not running like it should. Very slow to spool and pretty lazy. I just put the timing light on it again and it is definitely breaking up/missing. How do I save the diag 1 log? Thanks. T

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Might have found my issue.... Looks like I need to increase my maintenance on my cap and rotor, lol. Stuff got hot and started melting!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts