Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about converting different things to EFI, such as 1, 2 or even 4 cylinder engines. I have experience with Holley EFI but not really any others.

Would it be possible to get this to work?

Is there a better option out there for converting to EFI in these 1, 2 or 4 cylinder applications?

Think motorcycle engines.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
mega/microsquirt probably cheapest option

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Was thinking about converting different things to EFI, such as 1, 2 or even 4 cylinder engines. I have experience with Holley EFI but not really any others.

Would it be possible to get this to work?
There are two complications I can see.

Holley is hard coded for 4, 6, 8, or 10 cylinders. You could conceivably run it on a single or twin by pretending it's a four cylinder of twice the displacement.

The other is that oddfire support is marginal for a V-twin. You can adjust timing on the spark using the Individual Cylinder Trims, but this is not capable of adjusting the injector timing.

One last note is that you will need to be running a crank / cam trigger pattern that matches the available options in Holley's tuning software. This one's a bit more easily dealt with, as you can always machine a different wheel.

Is there a better option out there for converting to EFI in these 1, 2 or 4 cylinder applications?

Think motorcycle engines.
There's a lot of ECUs that can be set to run a 1 or 2 cylinder engine without pretending it's a four. I'm here to represent the MegaSquirt line, but in the interest of fairness, there are other companies like Haltech and AEM that also have mini versions of their ECUs scaled down for customers who don't need a ton of injector outputs.

The MicroSquirt is one unit we have that's especially aimed at single and twin setups. It can run full sequential fuel and ignition on up to two cylinders, and it can also run a four cylinder in bank to bank fueling. Our MS3-Pro is the MicroSquirt's big brother, if you need more I/O or internal data logging.

Here are some of the features the MicroSquirt has that are specifically aimed at the motorcycle market.

• The smallest and lightest standalone ECU on the market.
  • Supports more trigger wheel arrangements than Holley, including the common bike setup with two separate pick-ups reading a single tooth trigger wheel.
  • Able to use MAP sensor as a substitute for a cam sensor on single cylinders and odd fire twins.
  • Sequential shift fuel cut
  • Dedicated odd-fire support. You tell it the angle between firings, it handles the fuel and timing offset directly.
Stepping up to the MS3-Pro would get you both the extra advantages there (except size, although it's still pretty tiny), plus these:

• 8 GB of onboard data logging using swappable SD cards.
  • Shift light by gear.
  • Tach output scaling - you could run a tach made for a V8 on a single and have it display the right RPM.
  • Time based ability to ramp in timing and boost after launch. These can really help with traction issues.
  • Staged sequential injection on up to four cylinders.
  • Traction control with no extra boxes to buy.
  • Odd fire support extends to V-4 engines with highly unusual cylinder pairings, like the Yamaha V-Max.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I run Holley Dominator on my car. It now runs better then it every has. (had FAST XFI).

I made my own cam sync, I used a Chevy MSD crank trigger kit removing 2 magnets with a Holley hall effect sensor.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I run Holley Dominator on my car. It now runs better then it every has. (had FAST XFI).

I made my own cam sync, I used a Chevy MSD crank trigger kit removing 2 magnets with a Holley hall effect sensor.
why did you remove 2 magnets, it had 4 correct?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Haltech have a Sprint 500 which is basic ecu that will run 4-6-8 cyl engines or the elite 1500 if you want some more features, both will work with any crank trigger pattern and will do single or multi coil, boost control, idle control etc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts