Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having any problems with the software? We have the latest version downloaded, and using windows 7. We will be sync'd, moving around in the software...and it will lock up.. WTF :smt102

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
I’ve had that occur with other brands of EFI and it has always been EMI from the ignition or charging systems. One would lock up one laptop frequently but not as often on another. In the end it was the CD ignition amplifier and ECU were too close to each other (I guess) because after they were separated it didn’t do it again with either laptop. Quirky EFI is like training cats to herd smoke.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ignition system is probably 3 feet away, and nothing is near the ecu. When the Holley guy was at the Lane Auto show, his display stuff kept crashing too!

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
Don’t be so quick to blame. Look down and check which foot you’re pissin’ on, the one standing on the ECU or the one standing on the laptop. Many times the problems are in the laptop and whatever operating system is in it. Why don’t you bitch to Microsoft?

Running the laptop on a power supply with an inverter powered from a cigarette lighter socket can cause a ground voltage offset. Good luck with that.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,905 Posts
I would have walked away .......junk
From what, the laptop?

The OP should try a laptop with XP and see what happens.

I have a Dominator and a HP system, never had trouble with either one. I use XP with my stuff.

Have a friend that uses Windows 7 with his HP. We did have some issues trying to save Global Folders because of a Microsoft issue that Holley helped me rectify over the phone. Administrator crap, had nothing to do with Holley.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Never had that issue and always use Windows 7. 1st thing I would suggest is deleting the entire software package and doing a fresh install. I've had issues with software/logs freezing up at or near WOT when coils start screaming but, never had issues otherwise. If it still gives you fits, get your hands on a ferrite ring and make a few loops around it with the USB able near the ECU. As mentioned...try another laptop.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Of all the things I didnt like about Holley EFI, the software was flawless. It never so much as hiccuped on 3 laptops; XP, Win7 and Vista.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
deleted the old software, loaded the new. Tried 3 different laptops, all did the same. Not using a inverter...its something with the software..windows vs holley or vise versa

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,905 Posts
I have worked with six different cars so far with the HP and Dominator systems, not one gave me any issues with communicating.

Does the software only lock-up when the engine is running?

Did you run the main red and black wires right to the battery and nowhere else?

What are you using for ignition?

·
Registered
885 Posts
does it when the car is running

if it was window's/holley related it would lock up sitting in your house using it offline,you prob have noise coming threw the usb.

·
Senior Frog
10,345 Posts
sounds more like a laptop issue,any time you lock up I look for hard drives failing,virus or just plain MFG installed BS.
Most folks don't realize it but computers bought form the stores come with a dirty OS install
and really benefit from a clean W7 install - things are much happier

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been working with Stangguy269 on this car and have been having dealing with these issues as well. Boiling down your suggestions, here are what you guys are saying.

1) EMI - Maybe, but unlikely. It does have an MSD box, but it is installed 3-feet away inside the cowl. All of the other wiring harnesses or HP EFI boxes are separated from the MSD box by sheetmetal. HP EFI is installed in passenger compartment. Engine harness is in the engine bay and doesn't run next to the MSD box.
2) Laptop - We've tried different laptops, same problem with each one. One laptop is less stable than the others, but the software always locks up while connected to the HP EFI.
3) USB Cable - I'll swap this one out and give that a try.
4) Bad Install of SW - These were all fresh installs of the Holley EFI software. We have uninstalled/reinstalled on at least one laptop. My personal laptop is a clean install of Windows from Microsoft discs, not a pre-loaded OS and a clean install of Holley EFI. I do not have this issue when working with other EMS brands.
5) Power supply/inverter - Working directly off laptop battery, no inverter.
6) Administrative settings - True, I had to open up the Holley EFI folder so I could record Datalogs. Figured that out w/in 5 mins the first time I tried to create a datalog. This is not the issue.
7) Engine Running or Stopped - I have had this issue both when engine is running AND stopped. I can sit there with the car still, no fans or motors running and it will lock up. All of a sudden I get the spinning blue wheel of death in Windows. Requires killing the Holley EFI software, unplugging the USB cable/replugging and restarting Holley EFI and reconnecting.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I would try contacting DougF on here. I think there are some USB driver issues that could cause that problem. I know we've (fuel injection manufactures) all been fighting the constant Windows 7 driver updates. Some of them work and then a newer one comes along and doesn't. It's been this way since USB cam out. He will know on that product. I'm sure there is nothing actually wrong with your stuff.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
sounds more like a laptop issue,any time you lock up I look for hard drives failing,virus or just plain MFG installed BS.
Most folks don't realize it but computers bought form the stores come with a dirty OS install
and really benefit from a clean W7 install - things are much happier
You know you love fuel injection!! LOL!

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,905 Posts
There is a new version of software and firmware on Holleys website that deals with the USB driver issue. Windows 7 does some really stupid things that people within Microsoft thought we would want automatically...........

If you download the new stuff follow the instructions CAREFULLY!

I did the new software and firmware on my Dominator setup and it worked fine.

I also kept a copy of the OLD software so I could still help people that have not done the USB driver update.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
With the USB cable plugged in, go into device mangler and look under Comm Ports and see what the name of the driver is. Then look at the version if it say Silicon Labs. If you don't know how to do that, say so.

I'll post a good bit more on USB drivers this week. Been getting hosed by the driver manufacturer then microsoft just made some changes as well. Fun stuff :(.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts