Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Running a Twin turbo BBC and have not heard good things about DIS from Holley in early days. Have they got there stuff together? I have already bought all the Msd ignition to do my setup and just need to convert my distributor to cam sensor. Any real advantages with DIS for my dominator? or just stick with what I have? I'm relying on my ecu to do all the ignition timing.. don't want to mess with 2 programs.
Thanks for you inputs! Stewy

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Running a Twin turbo BBC and have not heard good things about DIS from Holley in early days. Have they got there stuff together? I have already bought all the Msd ignition to do my setup and just need to convert my distributor to cam sensor. Any real advantages with DIS for my dominator? or just stick with what I have? I'm relying on my ecu to do all the ignition timing.. don't want to mess with 2 programs.
I like the cop better just get the 60-2 wheel and convert the dist . Ls1 coils work great with that system

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The standard right now for very high HP Holley COP applications are the following parts:
qty 8 556-112 coils
Flying magnet crank trigger with 554-118 crank sensor.
Need a cam sensor.

Harness PNs 558-312 and 558-307 make installation of the coils pretty plug and play.

The original waste fire coils don't have quite as much stones as the coils above, and the ones above are better for very high cylinder pressure. The 60-2 wheel has better accuracy, but on high HP engine with a lot of crank movement, the above parts are a better solution.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The standard right now for very high HP Holley COP applications are the following parts:
qty 8 556-112 coils
Need a cam sensor.

Harness PNs 558-312 and 558-307 make installation of the coils pretty plug and play.

The original waste fire coils don't have quite as much stones as the coils above, and the ones above are better for very high cylinder pressure. The 60-2 wheel has better accuracy, but on high HP engine with a lot of crank movement, the above parts are a better solution.
I already have the 60-2 crank sensor. I just have to convert my distributor to a cam sensor type.. just didn't know if there was that much advantage or should I just stick with my original msd plan

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
I already have the 60-2 crank sensor. I just have to convert my distributor to a cam sensor type.. just didn't know if there was that much advantage or should I just stick with my original msd plan
How much hp do you plan on running ? And what msd box ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
qty 8 556-112 coils
Need a cam sensor.

Is a cam signal not needed?

In that set up the coils would be batch fire, correct?

Are there any advantage to have a cam sync?

Just trying to learn.

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Is a cam signal not needed?

In that set up the coils would be batch fire, correct?

Are there any advantage to have a cam sync?

Just trying to learn.

Thanks, Steve
Yes a cam sync will give you individual timing and fuel control . It's not much more to run a cam sync

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Steve Morris maxed out the chassis dyno at 2500 on Baileys car using Holley CnP stuff. Might give them a call and see if they did any trick stuff or all Holley parts.

I have heard Holley Coils = Pantera coils anyways.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You can run individual fuel trims without a cam sensor with Holley EFI. For ICT and 8 coils, you need the cam sensor. To get timed sequential fuel injection, you need the cam sensor. For 2500 HP, I'd be running a cam sensor to make things as ideal as possible.

Bailey's car was all Holley items.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
You can run individual fuel trims without a cam sensor with Holley EFI. For ICT and 8 coils, you need the cam sensor. To get timed sequential fuel injection, you need the cam sensor. For 2500 HP, I'd be running a cam sensor to make things as ideal as possible.

Is baileys car on gas or alky ?

·
Registered
209 Posts

??? how? If you can run individual fuel trims without a cam sensor you would also be able to run ICT and 8 coils...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
??? how? If you can run individual fuel trims without a cam sensor you would also be able to run ICT and 8 coils...
The injectors are hard wired to their respective cylinder numbered outputs on the ECU. It doesn't need a cam sensor to discern which cylinder is which. You NEED a cam sensor for fueling for "timed sequential", to know whether #1 is on compression or exhaust. Individual cylinder fueling amount is different than "timing" of the injection.

For 8 coils, the ECU obviously needs to know where the crank position is. If you have a missing tooth wheel (vs a 4x type), which does tells you crank position, you still need to discern exhaust or compression stroke on #1, which you need to do unless you run waste fire with the coils (which you could do with a missing tooth wheel).

·
Registered
917 Posts
Ive had some of the best tuners in the country tell me use a dist it just works! Lol. If you need something igition related EVERYONE at the track all has the same msd stuff to get parts to try. Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well thanks guys for all your input! I already have all the Msd stuff and will plan to use it .. If I did individual coils and messed with only timing to each cyl. I don't think I would be gaining much since I'm not logging any data for exhaust temp for reading plugs to make them all to match to the T! So since I got all of it.. I might as well stick with my original plan! I don't think it would be that much beneficial to me.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am going to run a digital 7 and an hvc2 coil with holley hp. do I need to get the map sensor for the msd or just set the timing and leave all the programming to the holley? how does the holley tie into the msd?

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
I'll let you know in a few weeks. :)

I started off with the Holley twin coils and they sucked... Nothing but problems. So I switched to a Jesel belt drive and MSD Digital 7535 box with a MSD HVAC II coil and it worked perfectly. Now I ditched the MSD box and coil and installed the new Holley single high output coils and coil harness... I will be testing it very soon and report back.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
I am going to run a digital 7 and an hvc2 coil with holley hp. do I need to get the map sensor for the msd or just set the timing and leave all the programming to the holley? how does the holley tie into the msd?
I used a map sensor with the 7535 box and let if control the timing under boost... No problems at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts