Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gigity
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have almost everything to start my holley dominator efi install, and I would like to hear the pro's and con's of DBW vrs cable.
Car is a turbo ls with a stick shift, has gone 9.54 @148 so far.
Car has a throttle rod right now, so either way I need to change stuff.
Help me decide dbw or cable?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The nicest thing about DBW is you can program the pedal vs throttle curve, making it respond however you want.

No cable to mess with, although you have to mount the pedal to the firewall.

The factory 90mm throttle bodies are pretty reasonable and OEM quality.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
I see amorse cable as a good mechanical way to kill the airflow to the engine in case of electrical failure ie computer keeps running with the DBW throttle plate open. Sure i can switch the car off, but at 148 mph shit happens fast as you know.

I have had a DBW engine that had all sorts of issues. Ended up that tape used to seal off the throttle body was left on and got sucked into the throtttle plate, preventing it from closing all the way. This would have been felt instantly with a throttle cable car but wasn't found for days with a DBW car.

·
Gigity
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is DBW allowed in your Class If ITs not factorymounted?
No restrictions on DBW where I race

The nicest thing about DBW is you can program the pedal vs throttle curve, making it respond however you want.

No cable to mess with, although you have to mount the pedal to the firewall.

The factory 90mm throttle bodies are pretty reasonable and OEM quality.
I like the sounds of this, and the OEM LY6 GM truck TB is what I already have from my Junkyard motor

The DBW setup works awesome on my setup. The response is really fast.
Thanks, I'm leaning more toward the DBW

I see amorse cable as a good mechanical way to kill the airflow to the engine in case of electrical failure ie computer keeps running with the DBW throttle plate open. Sure i can switch the car off, but at 148 mph shit happens fast as you know.

I have had a DBW engine that had all sorts of issues. Ended up that tape used to seal off the throttle body was left on and got sucked into the throtttle plate, preventing it from closing all the way. This would have been felt instantly with a throttle cable car but wasn't found for days with a DBW car.
I dont like the sounds of you problems, but they seem minor, unless they caused some kind of unsafe situation??

Any more opinions about this? I would love to hear from more users of DBW, wether they would do DBW again or go back to cable?
Barrett

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The issues you might encounter could be based on the specifics of the system. On the Holley, there are various safety measures in place. These require all the pedal and throttle body sensors to be working properly. If one goes out, the unit de-powers the throttle body and it is in limp-home position. It also looks at the "TPS Autoset" parameters you do. It logs the pedal and throttle sensors, the relationship to each other. If any go out of whack, it depowers the unit, as well as limits fuel flow to the engine. So if the throttle plate ever sticks open, and the pedal is released, it depowers the throttle body to a relaxed state, and you get a low fuel flow for safety. So basically if there is ever a mechanical failure, it has fail-safes.

If you ever lose a sensor, you'll be in limp home (limited MPH capability) of the system. Only bad part. If you use OEM pedal and throttle bodies, there should be good reliability. I had twin DBW's on the tunnel ram on my BBC and now a single on my turbo LS. I won't go back to cable myself. Nothing wrong with a cable though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts